John Bonham

John Bonham is my drum god, he is the reason i have stayed with the drums. i had a falling out period and then i started listening to Zeppelin and it all made sense again. Bonzo will be missed and has been for that last 27 years. The only thing i wanna know still is did he ever use a double bass kit in the studio. i know he used on live but it was never made clear whether or not he took it into the studio Cheers!

Remixed, remastered and expanded Song Remains the Same OUT TODAY!

They gave it the Kevin Shirley treatment, and his mixing work on How The West Was Won makes this a must for me.

I know this album is maligned at times (and I know the performances are edited and cobbled together) but I still love it.

John Bonham, Moby Dick-Dick-Dick-Dick

Later...

I got the Song Remains the Same reissue. No more dodgy edits. They restored an entire MSG show. Sounds great. That 26" vistalite kick is rattling all of Manhattan.

John Bonham is my drum god, he is the reason i have stayed with the drums. i had a falling out period and then i started listening to Zeppelin and it all made sense again. Bonzo will be missed and has been for that last 27 years. The only thing i wanna know still is did he ever use a double bass kit in the studio. i know he used on live but it was never made clear whether or not he took it into the studio Cheers!

He's had a double kit at one point in time but producers, mixers, engineers, band members etc. all pressured him out of using it. They thought it would intrude on the music. Besides why would Bonzo need a doouble bass kit, his drumming is loud enough.

R.I.P John Henry Bonham

The page count for this thread trails off of my screen!!! LOL!!!! Guys, I think if we can get enough pages in this thread, we can petition the man upstairs to return Bonzo to earth!

Anyway, my friend played me some tracks from the Mothership collection and I'll be danged if I ain't gonna shell out the bucks and buy more Zep cds! I'm gonna wait till '08 when the complete works comes out (that's the rumor anyway). The drums are so clear on the new masters that it's like a new recording. It's never gonna stop.

---LG

Looking for "Four Sticks" video and/or transcript. I've seen LZ twice in the '70's in Tampa. They never played this tune, but what an awesome Freakin' show(s) man. Most of us know that he played this tune with "4 Sticks" so, at age 50 I'd like to see him do this tune before I go home to my final drum kit in the ground.

Drop me a line or reply back here.

Jambo!

They never played it (Four Sticks) live once I'm afraid, might have played the Riff in the midst of a Jam but never the full tune.

Closest you'll get is Michael Lee doing a great job on it with Page & Plant - think it's on the 'Unledded' DVD...

I'm seriously considering buying a 14 inch mounted tom (with a snare stand), have a 16 inch and 18 inch floor tom and getting a nice chrome ludwig snare. Then go on ebay and buy some nice Paiste cymbals. I really think 'Bonzo" would of submersed himself into other realms of music if he had lived. He probably would of talked to the greats like Max Roach and Elvin Jones, learned from them, maybe even play jazz at some events. Right before Tony Williams died, he discussed putting together a Heavy Metal band. Imagine what John would of accomplished. I admire Will Calhoun, Neil Peart, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones, Art Blakey, Jack Dejohnette, and many others but one can not forget John Bonham!

Yesterday in London..
21101333.JPG

As hard as he may try Jason just doesn't have the pocket that John had.....

I agree. He is a good drummer, but he doesn't have that pocket. Especially in the version of Kashmir I saw on youtube.

Mike

As hard as he may try Jason just doesn't have the pocket that John had.....
is your name jonescrusher or moodcrusher lol but you have too admit it's the closest thing to the original Zeppelin you're gonna get.at least he gave it a go i'm sure his Dad would've been proud.

Bonzolead

And to be fair, Bonzo played what he felt like playing, but Jr. is copping his dad's ideas. I think it's pretty common to groove better when you've made up your own part as compared to when you're covering somebody else.

And to be fair, Bonzo played what he felt like playing, but Jr. is copping his dad's ideas. I think it's pretty common to groove better when you've made up your own part as compared to when you're covering somebody else.

You are right.

I didn't mean that the version of Kashmir sucked. It was quite good.

And, I didn't mean that it didn't sound good.

And, I admit that HE is the only person for that job.

However, I just don't think he has the feel of his father. But, how many drummers did have the feel of his father? Not many at all. That is why he was irreplacable.

But I like Jason.

Mike

John Bonham Samples

This may be old news, but there's a site where 23 "takes" of John Bonham drum tracks are available. Just drums, nothing else.
It really showcases the magnitude of this man's groove and pocket.
Here's the link:
http://www.saladrecords.com/bonhamfiles.htm

Sorry if this has been discussed before.
Cheers
Phil

Re: John Bonham Samples

Thanks for this. Funny when you just hear the drum track i hear things that i never noticed before.

Yes it's an old link, but it's so buried in the forum that someone would probably make a thread asking for the link anyway. *lol*

Someone should sticky this.

These are great. I love on a few of the tracks how you can hear him yelling and grunting.

Excellent thanks. I lost the one I had a while back. Its number 22 that I had before.

Back