Drumming cartoons

The dalek is cool! Very steampunk and I love steampunk. I steampunk drumset would be awesome - black, brass, glass and rivets.

DMC, never heard of steampunk - had to Wikipedia the term. Seems like I've unknowingly been a fan of it too. This one isn't drumming-related but it has a steampunk vibe about it:

comp_elderly-internet.jpg

The dalek is cool! Very steampunk and I love steampunk. I steampunk drumset would be awesome - black, brass, glass and rivets.

Geez, my bass player left me to form a Steam Punk Band.

But to his credit, they're doing very well, and gig often, so I can't really blame him. But I don't get the whole steam punk sound.

Geez, my bass player left me to form a Steam Punk Band.

But to his credit, they're doing very well, and gig often, so I can't really blame him. But I don't get the whole steam punk sound.

I don't know anything about steampunk music. I searched YouTube and it was mostly one band who have clearly based their entire show on the concept. Seemed to be a dark Gothic vibe about it.

When I first read the term it brought to mind something like this ...

Attachments

• steampunk_vivian.jpg
    steampunk_vivian.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,534
I don't know anything about steampunk music. I searched YouTube and it was mostly one band who have clearly based their entire show on the concept. Seemed to be a dark Gothic vibe about it.

When I first read the term it brought to mind something like this ...
Hehe, the young ones was a funny show. Steampunk is sort of a modern technology meets old technology. Pistols with steam-tanks and cogs. That sort of stuff.

Hehe, the young ones was a funny show. Steampunk is sort of a modern technology meets old technology. Pistols with steam-tanks and cogs. That sort of stuff.

Pretty much.

In a nut shell: Imagine the gasoline engine was never invented, so everything modern has to be run on steam power, why still wearing Victorian era clothing.

Although how they formed a music around this, I'm not sure.

I don't much get it, but it's become rather popular lately.

Pretty much.

In a nut shell: Imagine the gasoline engine was never invented, so everything modern has to be run on steam power, why still wearing Victorian era clothing.

Although how they formed a music around this, I'm not sure.

I don't much get it, but it's become rather popular lately.

After DMC's comment I looked up some YouTubes about it. The best description was by a guy who'd made a steampunk phone. He'd pulled off the cover and had various components on a wooden board - it looked pretty quirky and cool.

He was talking about the appeal of taking off covers and being able to see how things work ... to be more connected with the processes behind our contraptions rather than just accepting everything as a black box. It seems to be an attempt to regain that sense of groundedness that's been lost as we increasingly put things between ourselves and what we're doing.

I like, and can relate to, the concept but not enough to change my current modus operandi. I think devoting yourself to it would be fairly limiting.

Here's an accidental steampunk cartoon. I drew this freehand while sitting in a shopping centre waiting for a friend. I scanned it and then did some cleaning up and colourising on the PC - organic meets digital ...

social_spot-the-radical.jpg

After DMC's comment I looked up some YouTubes about it. The best description was by a guy who'd made a steampunk phone. He'd pulled off the cover and had various components on a wooden board - it looked pretty quirky and cool.

He was talking about the appeal of taking off covers and being able to see how things work ... to be more connected with the processes behind our contraptions rather than just accepting everything as a black box. It seems to be an attempt to regain that sense of groundedness that's been lost as we increasingly put things between ourselves and what we're doing.

I like, and can relate to, the concept but not enough to change my current modus operandi. I think devoting yourself to it would be fairly limiting.

Here's an accidental steampunk cartoon. I drew this freehand while sitting in a shopping centre waiting for a friend. I scanned it and then did some cleaning up and colourising on the PC - organic meets digital ...

social_spot-the-radical.jpg

The only thing about Steam Punk that ticks me off is my friends band deliberately uses a drum machine, and deliberately programs it to play cheesy sounds. No real drums allowed. And yet, they get payed to play events all over the country.

The only thing about Steam Punk that ticks me off is my friends band deliberately uses a drum machine, and deliberately programs it to play cheesy sounds. No real drums allowed. And yet, they get payed to play events all over the country.

It's the easy way to add a "contemporary" vibe to the music, I guess. If they have a stage show anything like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cycXIYdFGsQ then it's easy to see why they'd be popular. It would be good if they used organic-sounding drums with other modern elements ...

Maybe we ought to start a steam punk thread?

Just to retain some relevance (even if not about drumming), here's another toon:

yarts_mr-squiggle%27s-mojo.jpg

It's the easy way to add a "contemporary" vibe to the music, I guess. If they have a stage show anything like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cycXIYdFGsQ then it's easy to see why they'd be popular. It would be good if they used organic-sounding drums with other modern elements ...

Maybe we ought to start a steam punk thread?

Just to retain some relevance (even if not about drumming), here's another toon:

yarts_mr-squiggle%27s-mojo.jpg

Hilarious cartoons! I think a neat steampunk set would have flat back drums, brass tube hardware, brass stands and some turn-of-the-century-industrial-style numbers painted on each drum in brass, like "9" or "17" Cymbals are already very steampunk in appearance.

I would be so honored if you did a caricature of me. Here are some to consider:

Mobius3.jpg

Mobius2.jpg

Mobius1.jpg

I've started work on your pic, DMC, and will chip away until I'm happy with it. I'm pretty sure you're going to be steampunked :)

In the meantime, here's a steampunk-y Internet connection ... or was that stonepunk?

comp_primitive-internet.jpg

I've started work on your pic, DMC, and will chip away until I'm happy with it. I'm pretty sure you're going to be steampunked :)

In the meantime, here's a steampunk-y Internet connection ... or was that stonepunk?

comp_primitive-internet.jpg

STONEPUNK! Whoa. Just trying to imagine that. Very cool idea. Love the cartoon.

I can hardly wait for the caricature! I wish I had something cool like to that to offer. I can always be a good friend, though.

The Slammin' Salmon---------------------

Attachments

• Drum Toon(Youre Amazing)  copy.jpg
    Drum Toon(Youre Amazing) copy.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 3,203
  • Drum Toon(Polyrhythms) .jpg
    Drum Toon(Polyrhythms) .jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 5,205
  • Drum-Toon(Heaven).jpg
    Drum-Toon(Heaven).jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,610
  • Drum Toon (Only A Cymbal) .jpg
    Drum Toon (Only A Cymbal) .jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,565
Oops, missed this post - good stuff, Papajo! Love the polyrhythmic dragon boat drummer :)

Okay ... DeathMetalConga ... I know it's been ages. Never quite got the hang of time management (away from drums, anyway ... although on bad nights ...)

FINALLY your special steampunk caricature is ready. Hope you like it!

Attachments

• dmc-jun10.jpg
    dmc-jun10.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 1,759
Thanks Abe! It did come out kind of arty, didn't it?

I felt it needed to look good to represent someone with the kind of aesthetic sensibilities that results in having a drumset like this ...

2skr.jpg

Oops, missed this post - good stuff, Papajo! Love the polyrhythmic dragon boat drummer :)

Okay ... DeathMetalConga ... I know it's been ages. Never quite got the hang of time management (away from drums, anyway ... although on bad nights ...)

FINALLY your special steampunk caricature is ready. Hope you like it!

LOVE IT!!! I'm honored, flattered, blow away. No one has ever done anything like this for me. It really captures me and my influences and is HILARIOUS! You do have a good eye and the talent to render what you see and know about people. Thank you so much!

LOVE IT!!! I'm honored, flattered, blown away. No one has ever done anything like this for me. It really captures me and my influences and is HILARIOUS! You do have a good eye and the talent to render what you see and know about people. Thank you so much!

A pleasure, DMC. I see you have a new avatar :)

Cartoonists tend to be keen people-watchers. Probably something we pick up as members of the out group ...

Back