Bass drum pedal choice

Hey guys,

So im looking into buying a new pedal and I was thinking about following my idol and get the Ludwig Speed King.

But im wanna know if anyone can tell me their opinions on it.

I want to buy a pedal until 250€, so i was thinking that or, speed cobra, or de 5002...

I like pedals with a lot of tension so that i can feel it . More resistance.

What should i go with?

I'v played on a speed king a few times. I don't own one but I quite like it. I would describe it however as an 'easy' or 'light' pedal, and not one I associate with 'tension'.
I use mostly a Tama Iron Cobra and find it a very durable and versatile pedal, easy to adjust. But I prefer lower tension. Got it used for only $70.

I swear by the Yamaha 7210 belt drive pedal. It's really a poor man's version of the 'Perfect Balance' pedal by Jojo Mayer. I've never played the chain drive version of this pedal, so I have no idea how it feels, but the belt drive blows me away for the price. I played a Tama speedcobra for a while, and this pedal actually feels smoother and faster.

The only issue I have with the 7210 belt drive is it doesn't have a base plate, and can't really be adapted to attach one. It has the two prongs - but honestly the pedal is super stable, and I can't say I've missed the base plate all since I purchased it.

Last edited:
Bottom line is you need to get to a shop and test ALL the ones you are considering and maybe some you haven't. They are all different animals, especially direct drive vs chain or strap. You'll get opinions all day on what we think is best, in the end only your feet can truly make that decision for you.

I played that Speed King for 15 years...in fact I still own one although I dont use it anymore. It only has two adjustments...Spring Tension and beater height. Also, on one gig I was playing ...many many years ago...we were rockin tha house and I was toes deep into the kick with that Speed King and all of a sudden ...the Yoke that holds the Beater - exploded~! Come to find out ...the Yoke is Chromed over Pewter - . The next day I bought a different pedal that had a chain, had several adjustments. That being said, personally I would pick a pedal that has multiple adjustments ...and one thing I always do when looking at equipement Im not familar with, is to read as many reviews on that item as possible and I always buy from a reputable dealer as most online dealers give you at least 30 days to decide if you like it or not.
Just Sayin ~~~

Bottom line is you need to get to a shop and test ALL the ones you are considering and maybe some you haven't. They are all different animals, especially direct drive vs chain or strap. You'll get opinions all day on what we think is best, in the end only your feet can truly make that decision for you.

Actually, bottom line is he needs to get a pedal that will perfectly match his Mapex Saturns.

Go to a store and try out all the pedals. Don't buy something just because your favourite drummer uses it.

Whatever you do, don't get Pearl's Demon Drive. Worst mistake I have made

Go to a store and try out all the pedals. Don't buy something just because your favourite drummer uses it.

Whatever you do, don't get Pearl's Demon Drive. Worst mistake I have made

After making such a statement you should elaborate why buying your Demon Drive was the Worst mistake that you made. The Demon Drive just might be the exact pedal the OP desires.

Dennis

In my opinion - The Demon Drive pedals are overpriced. For a direct link driven pedal, it's overall feel is very heavy and slow. It also had no 'whip' feel to it, which usually is one of the plus sides of a heavier feel. My slave pedal also broke after less than a year.

Speed Cobra is pretty nice pedal. looks good and plays well. I like that you can leave the beater on the pedal when packing it away in its case. just lift the quick hook off the speed-o-ring and your done. easy adjustments via gauges provided on the vari-pitch beater holder and speed-ring gauge for either foot board or beater angle. Oiless bearing hinge never needs oiling. Don't know if there is much real benefit from the cobra-coil but it is suppose to help the foot board rebound quicker following the beater rebound off the batter head. The pedal board is longer than most standard boards.
longer foot board

beatrs still on pedal in case

Vari-pitch and speed-o-ring gauges.

I have been with Yamaha for a long time, but the pedals weren't making it - until recently. At NAMM, I tried dozens of pedals. Ultimately, and to my surprise, Yamaha direct drive pedals were awesome!

I just got my Yamaha 9500D and it is amazing. Very responsive, fast, and a great feel. Same thing with the HS1200D hihat stand. I was always a chain guy, but the direct drive on these has come a long way. Not as top heavy and I did add some skateboard grip tape to the center for a bit more traction. Awesome.

Hey guys,

So im looking into buying a new pedal and I was thinking about following my idol and get the Ludwig Speed King.

But im wanna know if anyone can tell me their opinions on it.

I want to buy a pedal until 250€, so i was thinking that or, speed cobra, or de 5002...

I like pedals with a lot of tension so that i can feel it . More resistance.

What should i go with?

I have been using a Speed Cobra based on a conversation I had with Gavin Harrison. I am completely sold .. great pedal. I also like the Pearl Eliminator series .. have used them for 6 years and never an issue.

Thanks on the opinions

Now, im going to follow the advice of a friend of mine and not buy a double pedalbyet while im still a beginner because he says i will depend to much on it. I should work on a single pedal first. Is that ok?

Also, what about the dw pedals? Are they good?

Back