re-occurring dream

uniongoon

Gold Member
Does anyone have drummer dreams. For many years I had one dream over and over again. I would be preparing to count in the first song of the night, it is a large concert gig with a couple thousand people, something i am not a stranger to. I count in and as I go to crash the first note, I see all my cymbals are missing. My heart drops like one of those falling off a building dreams and I wake up.

Well 30 years later it kind of happened, got to a gig about 2 hours from home and or singer was re arranging the truck and forgot my cymbals. Luckily our bass players wife was about to leave to come see us and he had a set of B8's at home. Not great but they got me through the night.

Does anyone have drummer dreams. For many years I had one dream over and over again. I would be preparing to count in the first song of the night, it is a large concert gig with a couple thousand people, something i am not a stranger to. I count in and as I go to crash the first note, I see all my cymbals are missing. My heart drops like one of those falling off a building dreams and I wake up.

Well 30 years later it kind of happened, got to a gig about 2 hours from home and or singer was re arranging the truck and forgot my cymbals. Luckily our bass players wife was about to leave to come see us and he had a set of B8's at home. Not great but they got me through the night.

I don't have dreams like that, but I often think on gig day that I've forgotten something or another, and start panicing a little bit. I double and triple check everything, but sometimes your brain doesn't always remember things....

I have actually practiced in my dreams before... its pretty crazy! I think it actually helps too, I'm sure it functions the same as if you just sat there and thought about your playing and dissected it. The brain is an amazing thing, is it not?

Luke, methodical visualization is proven to be effective.
I think you need to actually trigger the limbs, so as to teach the brain where to send the signal.

When I used to teach, I would relate this to the student as building roads.
When you first learn a technique, you are hacking branches with a machete to make a path, then you beat it down to widen the trail, next stone gets laid, the trip gets easier and quicker, and eventually a highway gets built, in essence, the highway is the signal path from your brain to each limb where the information and direction flow.

Another proven visualization example, Motorcycle racers, like the MotoGP guys, practice tracks on XBoxes and Playstations. It works, they are not actually riding, but the brain is getting trained to react to corners and layout just the same.

I have actually practiced in my dreams before... its pretty crazy! I think it actually helps too, I'm sure it functions the same as if you just sat there and thought about your playing and dissected it. The brain is an amazing thing, is it not?

That's it.

I'm going to learn how to lucid dream properly.

If that dream was trying to warn you about that future event it doesn't look like it work haha

If that dream was trying to warn you about that future event it doesn't look like it work haha

Or maybe it did work? :)

I've had music dreams before but nothing memorable (or remembered).

The only dream I can remember in recent times was in March. It ended with me needing to get up for work and I was trying to check the time. Trouble was, I couldn't make head or tail of the digital clocks in the house ... it was as though the numbers were hieroglyphics. I wanted to check my mobile phone and couldn't find it. I started panicking because I couldn't tell if the clocks were really broken or if I'd gone mad and lost my ability to make sense of numbers.

Then the clock radio woke me up :)

It didn't tell me anything new - I've never been sure about my sanity MWUHAHAHA

My wife says back when I was gigging regularly, I used to drum in my sleep all the time, although I have no recollection of drumming in my sleep.

I do have re-occurring dreams that my old band is convinced to re-unite for a few gigs, and I reluctantly agree hoping to make back a few of the dollars the singer from that band stiffed me on.

I wish if I'm going to have band re-unite dreams, it would be one the bands I on good terms with the ex-members, and not the band that ended in a heap of drama.

Thanks to this thread, I'm now having dreams of gigs gone wrong. Thanks a lot. ;)

I've had loads. From drumming dreams to nightmares. I remember in one dream, I had to replace Terry Bozzio in Zappa's band, because he was too drunk. We played The black page and I played the worlds greatest drum-solo ever. Even Frank told me so.
On the other hand, I had a nightmare about all my drums were scattered around, and random people would go around and try to destroy my gear.

Or maybe it did work? :)

I've had music dreams before but nothing memorable (or remembered).

The only dream I can remember in recent times was in March. It ended with me needing to get up for work and I was trying to check the time. Trouble was, I couldn't make head or tail of the digital clocks in the house ... it was as though the numbers were hieroglyphics. I wanted to check my mobile phone and couldn't find it. I started panicking because I couldn't tell if the clocks were really broken or if I'd gone mad and lost my ability to make sense of numbers.

Then the clock radio woke me up :)

It didn't tell me anything new - I've never been sure about my sanity MWUHAHAHA

good one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I have frequent dreams about trying to get to places, and getting lost or delayed on the way. A lot of them involve drums, getting the right gear packed, trying to find the right entrance for the venue, trying to make the gig on time, setting up and finding things missing, setting up late, setting up onstage while the performance has already started, leaving gear at one gig and going to the next one, etc.

When I wake up I just wish I had all those bookings.

Back