Despondent with lesson

My band recently tackled 'Walking On Sunshine' by Katrina and the Waves. Basic groove is here but I am not completely happy with that. It sounds a bit empty, so I've been working on adding the hats on the eighths. At which point it all falls apart.

So I've been doing the only thing that can possibly work. Slowing it down to the point where I can play it cleanly, and playing with the metronome, which is something that I almost never do. Yes, it's frustrating AF, but I know that it will come eventually, and it's just a question of putting in the work (and the right sort of work) and waiting for the result to arrive, as I know it will.

Remember: If this stuff was easy, then anybody could do it.

Wait a minute, the reason the "Walking on Sunshine" groove sounds so good is because the entire band is playing their parts and they all lock together to become bigger than the sum of their parts. You shouldn't have to fill it up with extraneous notes, right? Anything extra you play will just make more sonic clutter. I stay true to the original on really popular tunes because you could easily kill it (not in a good way ;)

Wait a minute, the reason the "Walking on Sunshine" groove sounds so good is because the entire band is playing their parts and they all lock together to become bigger than the sum of their parts. You shouldn't have to fill it up with extraneous notes, right? Anything extra you play will just make more sonic clutter. I stay true to the original on really popular tunes because you could easily kill it (not in a good way ;)

Bo, I'm the biggest believer in avoiding extraneous notes, but if you listen to the original, there are eighth note high hat hits, and also tambourine hits which I want to incorporate (in the place of some of the hat hits).

If anything the sheet music that I linked to earlier errs by leaving out the hat hits.

My approach is always to try as far as possible to recreate what is on the recording. If I need to, I will simplify if it means I can maintain the feel. Very occasionally I will add some cymbal or high hat barks for emphasis, especially if the recorded version uses a bigger band than the one that I am in.

I'm arguing with you here, but out of complete agreement. :)

Bo, I'm the biggest believer in avoiding extraneous notes, but if you listen to the original, there are eighth note high hat hits, and also tambourine hits which I want to incorporate (in the place of some of the hat hits).

If anything the sheet music that I linked to earlier errs by leaving out the hat hits.

My approach is always to try as far as possible to recreate what is on the recording. If I need to, I will simplify if it means I can maintain the feel. Very occasionally I will add some cymbal or high hat barks for emphasis, especially if the recorded version uses a bigger band than the one that I am in.

I'm arguing with you here, but out of complete agreement. :)

Ah. No worries then. Perhaps if you guys interpreted it as a waltz?

I was thinking more of post apocalyptic surf death metal polka, with a touch of Polynesian Nightmare thrown in for good measure.

To the OP: You may want to follow* this lesson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nECoe4eCp_o

* For certain values of follow.

If there were emojis on here I would use the laughing face, I watched it and spent the first part very confused like... hey... I recognise that guy... what is happening

hopefully you have these 17 toms... haha!

Hi - I'm a bit late to this thread, but I have to chime in. Please don't give up! It sounds like you really enjoy drumming and you're just frustrated.

It takes a long time and a lot of work to get good and that is the talent that you need---the ability to focus on doing the work and practice.

It will get easier if you keep at it.

-MF

Last edited:
I want to echo one point made by a previous poster: If you are having trouble mastering something, slow it WAY down to where you can play it accurately and reliably. And do that a LONG time (e.g. 30 minutes). Then GRADUALLY speed up with a metronome. You will be amazed how this helps with "muscle memory." 30 minutes may not seem long, but it takes a lot of discipline and persistence to do this.

That thing about nailing something you thought was impossible.
I could never really play fast single handed 16ths Porcaro style...so last year I set myself down to do it....12 mths later I can just about pull it off...sort of. Its made me feel really good....Doing something well takes effort and time.... we can all do it.

First off...smile, laugh and have fun. Embrace the frustration with good humor. When practicing slow...remove all tempo. One...single hit at a time. I.E. Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick. Boom...hit bass & hi-hat. Stop. Chick...hit snare & hi-hat. Stop. Then play two beats together. Stop. Then add third, etc. Repeat process. Then string it together. Also.. make sure you COUNT OUT LOUD.

Back