My drum kit

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
My Sonors and Saturns

picture.php

I've had this kit since I was 14, having picked up the drums at age 13 (I'm 27 now). The kit was out of my league at the time but my parents always told me you get what you pay for. I'm glad I did because this kit sounds as good as any to my ears. That said I think it's time for a change and I'm going to get a second kit and choose one kit for live gigs.

It's a series 1 Sonor s-class with 9 ply birch/maple combo and black lacquer. Apparently these are vertical grain vs horizontal grain of later models.

Toms are 8x8, 10x9 12x10, and 14x12 (hanging).
Bass is a 22x16.
Snares I own: 14x5 s-class, 14x5 pearl chad smith (steel) and 13x7 akira jimbo (beechwood).

I like to mix it up with heads on the toms (ec2's, g2's, coated heads etc) but I'm using g1's as reso heads on the toms, an eq4 on the bass batter and remo cs on the snare generally. Bass + snare reso's are stock remo's.

I have the standard sonor hardware, which has mostly held up (bar a broken tom arm that suspended the 14" tom) but I've added some other stuff, namely:

Pearl icon rack with a few clamps
Pearl s1000-d low snare stand
Pearl ex hi-hat stand
Pearl demon drive double kick pedal
DW 9500tb two legged hi-hat stand
Gibraltar cymbal arms
Sonor designer boom stand

Cymbal wise I love my ufips. I have:

14" supernova hi-hat (primary)
13" experience hi-hat (slave)
18" rough crash
17" experience bell crash
20" natural ride
16" rough china (not using)
8" natural splash (not using)
10" class splash (not using)
16" crash + china stack (not using)

Since the tom arm broke, and I decided to get slave hats, I don't use the 12" tom. This has allowed me to bring the ride and slave hats in close. I'm not really into metal as much anymore which adds value to having a smaller kit. I hardly even use the 8" to be honest but it's so compact it might as well be sitting there.

I found myself not really using the effects cymbals and decided to remove them. I'm now interested in putting legs on my 14" floor tom as sonor sent me a misfit tom arm and told me that's all they've got, waiting to resolve that issue but I'm told I can use a certain gibraltar arm if I want another tom arm. My next kit will have floor toms with legs for sure.

Future plans:
Sonor need to resolve this tom arm business, I already paid for a part that doesn't fit so we'll see how they resolve that one in the new year.
I've ordered some die-cast rims for the yamaha as well.
I want a new snare. I only like my yamaha, the other 2 I'm over. I've been considering a ludwig brass but nothing's certain until it's in my hands.
The 18" crash is probably a bit lazy, it's a thin cymbal and I'm guessing it's just a bit tired after 11+ years (bought this one 2nd hand so no idea how old it is). I will get another 18" ufip crash, maybe a class or maybe another rough.
And I love my ride to death but it's quite heavy, I wouldn't mind something light and jazzy for a change.
I'll get some clear batter heads next time around.
Maybe some hard cases for gigging once that starts happening. I'm not in a band atm.

Here's a drum video made just using the camera mic. I'm planning on making a video I'm actually proud of over the Christmas break but you get the jist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TvmaEN9sbs&list=UUx9QZ-857KIwq7xLG7BLc0w&index=1&feature=plcp

I'm not 100% on attaching files so excuse me if this gets messy, will try and fix it!

Dre

Attachments

• DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 3,805
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 3,692
  • rsz_dsc00322.jpg
    rsz_dsc00322.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 3,745
  • rsz_dsc00326.jpg
    rsz_dsc00326.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 3,765
Last edited:
I should also give my e-kit a mention. I only get to play my real kit on weekends because I live and work in the city. Through the week I practice on a 2box drumit 5. It's a painful situation but I'm working on making it feel real using real heads. It is a pretty awesome kit apart from being fake 'n all.

Here is a picture before it went to my place in sydney (excuse the mess of drum stufflying around).

Attachments

• rsz_2box.jpg
    rsz_2box.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 3,758

I wasn't looking for a snare at the time but when I played the yamaha I knew I had to have it. I can't say that about many of my purchases. Die cast hoops will be interesting.

The 2box is good too, the sounds are amazing. I like the feel of the Roland flagship more but that also costs 5x as much.

I have a new snare! A black beauty 14x6.5 millenium edition. Pics taken with a decent camera this time, enjoy!

Attachments

• DSC01325.JPG
    DSC01325.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 3,449
  • DSC01317.JPG
    DSC01317.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 3,359
  • DSC01327.JPG
    DSC01327.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 3,423
  • DSC01328.JPG
    DSC01328.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 3,354
"Future plans:

I want a new snare. I only like my yamaha, the other 2 I'm over. I've been considering a ludwig brass but nothing's certain until it's in my hands."

Check out DW's nickel plated brass- I've wanted a Ludwig Black Beauty forever, and the DW is just outrageous. Super sensitive, with lots of crack, yet very warm- almost sounds like wood, but far more crisp.

"And I love my ride to death but it's quite heavy, I wouldn't mind something light and jazzy for a change."

Even though you mentioned your love of Ufip cymbals, check out the Meinl Sand Ride, a signature series from Benny Greb. A buddy of mine just picked one up, and wow. Just wow. Sounds exactly what you're looking for. Dark, jazz, yet light/thin enough that you can flex it by hand.

Just thought I'd add my two cents- I dig your kit, setup, choice of heads, etc. Very similar to mine so I thought I'd post. By the way, the video you posted is killer too!

Cheers,
Matt

Cheers, Matt.

I actually went with a black beauty (see post #7). Brass is great. I've tried the sand ride but it's not quite what I'm looking for, I want something with major stick definition and one that doesn't resonate too much, if that makes sense. I don't mind the paiste giant beats and I've played a few zildjians that I liked too, not sure what I'll get.

I've got a mapex saturn coming now, as I said before I needed a kit for gigs, more on this when I get my hands on them, can't wait.

:)

The Saturn's arrived last week, but we're not quite there yet... I'm still waiting for the 8" to arrive... and the 20" bass drum I received had some decent chips in the bearing edge, so I'm sending it back, and swapping it for a 22" (if I can). I decided it wasn't powerful enough given that I put some muffling in my bass to keep things responsive. Lose/win situation, I was bummed about the 20 being damaged but when I realized I didn't like it I saw a chance to step up. That whole situation is still panning out so I won't count my chickens before they hatch. So, pictured is the halfway setup, and the mess of drums in my room, sorry about the mess.

Speaking for the saturns; they're a breath of fresh air, there's alot more volume and sustain compared with my sonors, and they are easy to tune at almost any tension, they're sick. They look pretty plain in pictures but in person they're AMAZING, I love looking at them. I almost wish I'd chosen the sterling silver finish because the glittery silver is just so pretty, I wish I had more of it, hence leaving the saturn snare as primary, which is a great snare by the way.

I'm not using the 12 at the moment, I can't get it to sound as good as the 10 or 14, but I can't really tune my 12" sonor either, I think it's just a gay size for tuning and placement and I'll just probably leave it in the corner until I have a change of heart. I bought this kit for live shows, but I'm thinking of leaving them setup and taking the sonors out, just because I'd like to play these on weekends (I live in the city during the week).

I'll take some photos with a decent camera when the rest of my drums arrive. Hope you like them anyway.

:)

Attachments

• Saturns.JPG
    Saturns.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 2,762
  • photo(112).JPG
    photo(112).JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 2,713
Here's a video of me dicking around with some friends (not my kit):

http://youtu.be/vqqnHhPhNJg

So the shop happily sent me a free 22x16 and offered me the 20x18 for $100, I think I've done very well. The 20 sounds fine, it's gonna be handy having a spare kick for when I start playing shows more often. I got the 22x16 and a set of SKB cases last week, still waiting for the 8" tom, can't wait for that little guy.

I bought a zildjian k constantinople 22" medium ride last night. I set it up tonight, absolutely love it, and it came at a time when I really can't stand my heavy ride anymore.

I'll be squeezing the 8" in there but this is how I like my kit setup at home right now. And it's a fantastic kit. Too bad I only get to play it on weekends =\

I got a bunch of new heads but I won't put them on until I get the 8.

Crappy iphone pics:

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 2,460
  • photo(11234).JPG
    photo(11234).JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 2,386
Nice thread. Your Sonor set up looks so comfortable and natural. The Milenium snare is fantastic. I love the maple hoops on the Jimbo. I wanted to get one and then they canvelled the line. Damn it.

I want to see a photo of you lovely brick house.

Wish I had this much space to store multiple kits (and awesome looking ones at that).
The 2Box kits get a decent rap on another drumming forum BTW ; )

Love the finish on the Saturn, they are awesome drums, just got mine couple weeks ago.
Bonus kick option too! That was a good gesture on the shops part.

what heads will you be going with for the Saturns? Same? Great to see your sonor still kickin, I've only had my 3007 for about a year, almost sold them to Pay for the Saturn but I was able to work something out to keep them...for now.

Love the low end the Saturns give, the walnut really gives it a unique sound. Hoping to add a 16" ft to the set up down the road.

Congrats and enjoy!

Wy, thanks, the sonor setup is my ideal. Currently im rocking 10 and 12 rack toms and I'm slowly warming to it. We'll see how the 8" drum goes when I get it.

Thanks Todd, the 2box is great - for an e kit. I only use it for band practice in Sydney because I'd rather hire a real kit at the studio nearby. I just need to practice on a real kit. I might end up selling the thing.

My studio is in my dad's factory in my hometown where I visit most weekends. It's an awesome place to play, and I'm lucky to have it. We soundproofed it nearly 2 years ago and I can play as late as 11pm and no one cares!

Congrats on the kit Tyger - they're wicked drums. I'm really liking coated ambassadors on the floor Tom especially but I haven't tried much yet. I also tried some old g2's I had in the closet and they were good too, I think the 10" liked tuning a bit higher and sounded a bit better than with the CA's but I'm not into to mismatching heads. I've been thinking about getting a 16" too, hopefully they don't discontinue before I decide I want to do it.

I have played a 2Box E kit. I thought it sounded the most natural of any E kit I have played. Sensitive to dynamics, great sound... What really sold me was the sensitivity. Ghosted notes sounded ghosted. And the rim shots!

Damn, I will buy one. I need an E kit.

Well done again. I still want to see those famed bricks of yours.

...So the shop happily sent me a free 22x16 and offered me the 20x18 for $100, I think I've done very well. The 20 sounds fine, it's gonna be handy having a spare kick for when I start playing shows more often....

You lucky dog. An offer too good to pass up.

$100 for a 20" Mapex Saturn kick - I'll take two please - ha ha.

Got my 8" tom finally! I had to poke someone with a stick to get it. But the idiots forgot to send the tom arm.

Oh well. I also got a drum dial which I think is really cool.

Anyway the 8" sounds amazing, and I'm really loving these drums, they're fantastic.

I forgot what it was like to play an 8" tom, felt weird at first! And it came with an emperor... when I get that tom arm I'll set this up as a 6 piece and the G2's are going on these toms, I'm sold on 2 ply clears. I'm out of a job atm but I'm toying with the idea of getting a 16" while the finish is still available.

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,483
Whoops I accidently bought new crashes.

Attachments

• photo(14).JPG
    photo(14).JPG
    91 KB · Views: 1,295
  • photo(13).JPG
    photo(13).JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,294