Travis Barker

Re: Travis Barker playing country

Lol I enjoyed Travis' Head Banging, lmao, some people never change. Interesting...

Re: Travis Barker playing country

Vic_Rattledeth said:
Wow, that just reminded me of how much country sucks. And Travis barker isn't all that great.

Well you got half of that statement right.

Whats the black thing in Travis Barkers bass drum?

Whats the black thing in Travis Barkers bass drum?
Does it make a differnet sound?

Attachments

• 53.bmp
    351.6 KB · Views: 5,005
  • slide_055.jpg
    slide_055.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,742
Re: Whats the black thing in Travis Barkers bass drum?

It's some kind of overpriced pillow. It'll just muffle the sound of the bass drum slightly. Probably needs it seeing as it's overlength...

Just a dampening pillow to remove any overtones he doesnt want, or to remove some resonance to get a flat 'thud' sound. Most people who don't have more money than sense, use regular pillows or blankets. I personally dont use any now, on my pearl, as i get the right sound i want from my Emad.

Thanks for the answears. I use just a pillow, to remove any overtones.

Actually there is a point to the overpriced pillows. They are hinged, so that when you hit the head, the pillow flies off the head for a moment, allowing a big sound to form, then the pillow falls back on the head, muting the overtones.

I personally like the Steve Gadd thuddy fwap sound, so I go full pillow.

Stu_Strib said:
Actually there is a point to the overpriced pillows. They are hinged, so that when you hit the head, the pillow flies off the head for a moment, allowing a big sound to form, then the pillow falls back on the head, muting the overtones.

I personally like the Steve Gadd thuddy fwap sound, so I go full pillow.
I have an over priced pillow and I dont really like it, it gives me a weird sound for sure. Theyre not big enough and theyre expensive, but youre supposed to put two together or something, I think thats BS, they dont give you enough pillow to start with just to be able to charge you double. I just want a bigger hinged one in general. As you can tell Im fuming mad, ha!

its the evans emad gateway pillow thats about $35 and it works great! i wouldnt go back to a regular pillow!

Its probably part of his brain that this fruitcake never uses!

Travis Barker set up?

What do you think about, of his set up?
I have been playing for a year now, and I set up my drums like he does.
But i don't fell comfortable when i play.
How is the best way to set up the kit for playing punk?
(sorry about my english)

Re: Travis Barker set up?

I would agree with Funky, if you want their sound thats one thing, but to try and match a set up may be difficult with differences in your height and his, types of equipment, tom mounts etc. You will play much better no matter what the type of music is if you are comfortable playing.

There is no special way for setting up drums to the music you play! Position everything so it is easy to reach the, angles are comfortable, and your body is in a relaxed position while playing.

Check out Dave Weckl's Natural Evolution DVD, really cool stuff about setting up drumset!

The idea is basically that you start with a bass drum, snare drum and throne.
The throne height should be that high so when you are rimshoting on the snare drum and playing bass drum, you aren't hitting your legs, also the angle of your legs should be about 110-120º Find the comfortable position and add hi-hat, now close your eyes and try to ''air drum'' in the place where your hands stop you have to position it, the same about toms, cymbals etc

Forget about copying other drummers set up, you are one and unique! Don't try to be number 2 anybody, just be number 1 you

Thanks for the good tips.
Today i will set up everything new. Do you think it's good to turn the crash cymbals flat.

petgeh said:
Do you think it's good to turn the crash cymbals flat.
Nope! Only if they are pretty low.
From Sabian website:
''These cymbals should be positioned fairly flat and angled only slightly toward you, so your stick can slice across their edge. A cymbal that is angled too steeply is restricted from moving freely and it will suffer the same stress as if it were bolted down too tight. This will restrict the sound and can lead to cracking''

the angle could be ~5-10º

This calls for a quote Art Blakey once said "Drummers should stop looking at other drummers’ equipment and say, I’m going to duplicate that.’ It doesn’t matter what kind of instrument the drummer has. It isn’t the instrument, it’s the musician."

Travis Barker solo

hey the solo travis did with blink 182, the most recent one, he has a backing track playing along with it was just wondering does anyone know waht this is and were you can get it/ download it? cheers

Re: Travis Barker solo

im not one hundred precent sure, and ill listen to it again later when i get home to make sure, but it might be the stockholm syndrom track 7 off the untitled cd.. i know near the end it turns into something different but it kind of sounded like that track near the begining of the solo... ill check again later...

Back