Chillies. Who loves chillies?

W

wy yung

I love chillies. Red, green, I don't care I love them. I am always on the hunt for different varieties of chilli. Today I found some great chillies from Thailand. Very hot. Awesome!

Who likes chillies?? :)

Use this thread to recommend chillies, chilli sauce, chilli dishes...anything.

The chillies I found today are Red pickled chillies. The company who makes them is Pandaroo.

A very cool chilli sause I like is Pattu Masalla chilli sauce from India.

I do!

I love spicy food, in general. The last couple years, I've taken up gardening and I've had great success growing peppers both sweet and hot. This year, I grew hot cherry peppers, jalapenos, orange habaneros and ghosts. I literally cannot keep up with the amount of fruit I'm getting. I've had to give some away!

The only bummer I've had with growing peppers in an organic garden is a pest called the pepper maggot. They really took a lot of my hot cherry peppers. But I'll be better prepared for them next year.

Oh... I see, no Chad Smith here :)

... but yes, I love chillies, with moderation though, you can easily over do it, it's one thing to add a spicy taste to a sauce or a meal, it's another one to reach for the fire extinguisher.

I do!

I love spicy food, in general. The last couple years, I've taken up gardening and I've had great success growing peppers both sweet and hot. This year, I grew hot cherry peppers, jalapenos, orange habaneros and ghosts. I literally cannot keep up with the amount of fruit I'm getting. I've had to give some away!

The only bummer I've had with growing peppers in an organic garden is a pest called the pepper maggot. They really took a lot of my hot cherry peppers. But I'll be better prepared for them next year.

I never knew there was a chilli maggot. Wow. So awesome you are growing your own chillies!

My experience has been mainly with Indian and Asian cuisine. Korean food is something I adore. Korean chilli paste and chilli powder differs from all others. The cuisine is easy to cook once one knows the basics.

Thai and other south east Asian dishes are more complex. Which is great! European use of the chilli has been limited by comparrison.

Oh... I see, no Chad Smith here :)

... but yes, I love chillies, with moderation though, you can easily over do it, it's one thing to add a spicy taste to a sauce or a meal, it's another one to reach for the fire extinguisher.

Moderation???

I love chilli sandwiches! :-D :-D :-D

The chili pepper has really become popular in the U.S. over the last 10 years or so. It seems like you can buy any product in flavors that include spicy varieties. That wasn't always the case. I think we've become accustomed to spice in a way that we weren't always.

I am a big fan of the Thai curries. I especially like the red curry with a lot of chili oil added to make it very spicy. The dishes I like best are called names like Gang Dang, Gang Ped and Gang Gai. The spice of the chile and flavor of the curry is balanced by the coconut milk. The dish looks creamy but then the spice hits you when you taste it!

I enjoy adding jalapenos to almost any food. They're good on a burger, good on pizza. They can really liven up a sandwich. Habaneros are much, much hotter. But just last night, I chopped up an orange habanero from my garden and added it to an arrabiata (spicy red) sauce that I served with penne pasta. It imparts not only a lot of heat but a delicious flavor!

haha, ironic, just yesterday, I was visiting a freind, and I ordered a pizza, when the pizza got there, my freind went out side and picked a handful of little tiny (HOT!!!!) chilis that he's growing in his garden. 10 years ago I didn't like food that hot, but it made the pizza into a whole different thing, it was great.

Wonderful! Thanks guys.

One way to whet an appetite is to fry crushed garlic, onion and chillies. Mmmmmm, I have had many dinner party guests salivating with the above method. :)

Why is something that is so hot, have a name that sounds so cold? They should be renamed hotties.

The Red Hot Hottie Peppers? OK perhaps not lol.

In 1912,Wilbur Scoville developed his now famous method to chart the comparative heat of different chillis,now known as the Scoville Scale.For example:

Jalepeno...........................................2,500-5,000 units
Cayenne/Tabasco..............................30,000-50,000
Habanero/Scoth Bonnet......................80,000-300,000
Pure Capsaicin..................................16,000,000

All are approximate,since the amount of heat can vary from pepper to pepper,even from the same variety.Get 'em while their hot.

Steve B

Like in the rest of South East Asia, the Philippines has a variety of dishes cooked and/or topped with chillies, known here as "sili". Fresh chillies are also mixed with regular condiments such as fish sauce, vinegar, and soy sauce. In one region (Bicol) majority of their dishes are laced with it, and some people eat them like peanuts. I have a couple of "sili" plants in my garden, which unfortunately I have to share with the birds.

We also get great chili sauces and oils from other Asian countries like Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, China, and Korea.

Home grown hot ...................................​

Attachments

• 4141 resize.jpg
    4141 resize.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 305
  • 4142 resize.jpg
    4142 resize.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 303
I love chillies. Red, green, I don't care I love them. I am always on the hunt for different varieties of chilli. Today I found some great chillies from Thailand. Very hot. Awesome!

Who likes chillies?? :)

Use this thread to recommend chillies, chilli sauce, chilli dishes...anything.

The chillies I found today are Red pickled chillies. The company who makes them is Pandaroo.

A very cool chilli sause I like is Pattu Masalla chilli sauce from India.

Love hot food. I could chug Tabasco sauce. We are growing some in the garden and they're not getting enough water, making them smaller and more concentrated in flavor.

I continue to get a nice yield of chili peppers each week. I bagged probably 50 from my garden yesterday. The habaneros are growing like a weed. I have more than I know what to do with. I am giving them away to friends. I have been just chopping them up and adding them to sauces. They had a lot of heat and a nice flavor to almost anything.

The ghost peppers are probably too hot for almost anything. Going to be cooking a big pot of chili for a family event this weekend. I may try to chop up a ghost and add it. Not sure if the rest of the family will want to eat it, but I'm going to try!

Chilli chocolate, chilli hot chocolate, love it all. Nice to see fellow chilliphiles here. :)

Back