The BeaTles

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Today's Frederick NewsPost tells us that today in history (1962) "The Beatles, with new drummer Ringo Starr, recorded "Love Me Do" at EMI Studios in London. (The more familiar version with substitute drummer Andy White and Starr on tambourine was recorded a week later.)"

And Bernard Purdie fixed it shortly thereafter lol.

Probably one of my least favorite Beatles tunes.

They didn't really ramp it up until the infamous "1-2-3-4!" of "I Saw Her Standing There".

p.s. Ringo on tambourine? How insulting.

Probably one of my least favorite Beatles tunes.

They didn't really ramp it up until the infamous "1-2-3-4!" of "I Saw Her Standing There".

p.s. Ringo on tambourine? How insulting.

True that.Ringos version was on the album,and Whites was on the single....I think.

Sir George Martin has apologized more than a few times over the years for that faux pa.

This was his first "rock band",as he mostly did comedy albums for EMI,so he wanted to do well,and paniced, hired Andy White not knowing anything about Ringo's ability.

The BeaTles 50 th anniversary on Ed Sullivan is coming up...maybe a Macca/Ringo project.

Tune in tomorrow boys and girls,same bat time,same bat channel.

Steve B

Isn't that the same year "Canadian Sunset" was released by Andy Williams? Nobody ever celebrates that ;)

OT: Any "Fireheads" here? Fans of Firesign Theatre will chuckle at the mention of Canadian Sunset, referenced in The Giant Rat of Sumatra

On second thought, I guess you CAN become famous just by specializing in the tambourine.

Stevie Nicks does a pretty good job. So did this young gal.

Attachments

• tracy (V0040441).JPG
    tracy (V0040441).JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 232
If we're to retain Bernhard's dinner party analogy DMC I think this is the point somebody would be surreptitiously poisoning your soup.

Ringo would be proud to know that someone admired his percussion skills as well.

He was a much better tambourinist than drummer, that's for sure!

OUCH!

And yet,when you ask,the overwhelming majority of pro drummers,all site Ringos playing as an influence in their approach to constructing their drum parts,as well as playing just the right stuff,and serving the music,not your own ego.

How did I know,this was going to be yet another boring.....lets bash Ringo,every chance I get fest.

Steve B

Last edited:
"Peace and Love.....Peace and Love"..........

And yet,when you ask,the overwhelming majority of pro drummers,all cite Ringos playing as an influence in their approach to constructing their drum parts,as well as playing just the right stuff,and serving the music,not your own ego.

How did I know,this was going to be yet another boring.....lets bash Ringo,every chance I get fest.

Steve B

There's something to be said for Ringo drumming for the greatest band in the history of recorded music. I'll take Ringo over any drum clinic professional any day. Weckl shmeckel. Technical expertise and by the book drumming and drum clinics filled with so-called educated and schooled drum nerds can be boring.

Ringo forever. :)

Today's Frederick NewsPost tells us that today in history (1962) "The Beatles, with new drummer Ringo Starr, recorded "Love Me Do" at EMI Studios in London. (The more familiar version with substitute drummer Andy White and Starr on tambourine was recorded a week later.)"

There are a lot of what-ifs from The Beatles' early days. What if Pete Best or Andy White had stayed on as the regular drummer for the band? People have various opinions on Ringo's playing, but they were a band, and changing any one of them and what they brought to the table would have altered the final product as we know it.

Stevie Nicks does a pretty good job...

Pretty is the word indeed :)

hbz-Stevie-Nicks-tambourine-7-040611-de+-+Copy+-+Copy.jpg

People have various opinions on Ringo's playing, but they were a band, and changing any one of them and what they brought to the table would have altered the final product as we know it.

I've always felt Ringo had the most personality in the band. I was recently at "The Fest for Beatles Fans" (formerly known as "BeatleFest") and they played a clip asking the boys what they would be doing after the Beatles. They all had very serious philosophic answers about musical careers. But Ringo says, "I could work in a hairdresser's salon....Would you like a cup of tea madam?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYp6ivVj8Ag
Ringo has also had great success as an actor: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0823592/?ref_=sr_2

He also wrote "Octopus's Garden" which I've always liked.

He also wrote "Octopus's Garden" which I've always liked.

Yes. And Ringo's "Don't Pass Me By" is a weird, scary track from the White Album. Makes me think of the Paul Is Dead rumors. The "losing your hair in a car crash" line ... pretty weird.

"Ringo is not even the best drummer in The Beatles." - John Lennon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back