Chad Smith

Chad Smith is an awesome drummer.
I recently saw a video with Flea and Chad from the chilli's. They play together for a while and gee chad can use that one kick fast. Great drummer!

What a guy !!!!

He's the funkiest rock drummer ever and that hi-hat n snare sound is just orgasmic.

WALKABOUT n Mellowship slinky in Bmaj are the funkiest songs by RhCp . Czech out the drumming in those. An apt mixture of groove and zany-ness in his drumming. Very minimalistic in some parts and jus downright wacky chops in some others. Songs like Dont Forget me show you how much feel an acoustic kit can generate.
On a side-note : walkabout is just about walking in the city and just roaming around to find out what its all about. :) What an uber-cool concept. !!!!!

Chad is the man. He has influenced my playing so much.

Nutha said it perfectly! Too many people say that drummers such as Garibaldi etc etc are funk. There's more than one kind of funk, and for what Chad does he is awesome. Deep Hard Funk!

It annoys me so much when people dis him just because he doesn't bust out some amazingly technical rhythm. I'm fed up of hearing such narrow minded people.

Excellent point made by Mapex589 too. Once Jack left the band, things took on a whole new dimension.

You gotta love Chad. I may have said this before (maybe even on this thread), but the Chili's have lost their way now. I think so anyway. I used to think they were the greatest band on earth. Now they have lost the funk and complexity of their songs. They just get John to solo all over the place. But you can't really argue with them, as they have made way too much good music in the past.

You gotta love Chad. I may have said this before (maybe even on this thread), but the Chili's have lost their way now. I think so anyway. I used to think they were the greatest band on earth. Now they have lost the funk and complexity of their songs. They just get John to solo all over the place. But you can't really argue with them, as they have made way too much good music in the past.

I urge you to go by Stadium Arcadium. I think you will love this album. They actually seem to have found their way!! Go buy the album.....it is brilliant.

I urge you to go by Stadium Arcadium. I think you will love this album. They actually seem to have found their way!! Go buy the album.....it is brilliant.

I have heard it. I don't like it. It is nothing compared to their earlier stuff. NOTHING! I can see why people like it, but for me...no thanks.

I have heard it. I don't like it. It is nothing compared to their earlier stuff. NOTHING! I can see why people like it, but for me...no thanks.

That's cool. Music hits us all differently. I really dig the new album but if you are a fan of the old (I am too) I can understand not getting in to the new stuff. They became a new band at Mothers Milk.

That's cool. Music hits us all differently. I really dig the new album but if you are a fan of the old (I am too) I can understand not getting in to the new stuff. They became a new band at Mothers Milk.

True, they did become a new band. Love the stuff when Chad joined. Mothers Milk, BSSM, One Hot Minute. It's after this they lost the funk. It's just nowhere near as funky anymore and the arrangements are so much simpler now. Californication, By The Way, Stadium Arcadium - don't like em. I guess they are going more poppy and they are probably selling more records now then ever before AND they're getting old.

hello peple any of you knows what snare used chad at te recording of blood sugar sex magik? did you have any photos? please let me know it....thanks

Chad Smith is a tight player. Doesn't do too much but still manages to capture my attention. Mind you, i've only heard Stadium Arcadium and some of their other singles they released.

On that note, Chad's drumming on Stadium Arcadium is good, but i seem to pay more attention to what Flea and Frusciante are doing...

Chad Smith is a tight player. Doesn't do too much but still manages to capture my attention. Mind you, i've only heard Stadium Arcadium and some of their other singles they released.

On that note, Chad's drumming on Stadium Arcadium is good, but i seem to pay more attention to what Flea and Frusciante are doing...

You gotta check out Blood Sugar Sex Magic if you wanna hear what Chad is all about. I think this album sums him up as a player quite well. Make sure you do! If you like Stadium Arcadium BSSM will blow you away.

You gotta check out Blood Sugar Sex Magic if you wanna hear what Chad is all about. I think this album sums him up as a player quite well. Make sure you do! If you like Stadium Arcadium BSSM will blow you away.

Yeah i might do that actually. Most people on this thread seem to refer a lot to chad's work on BSSM.

I saw Chad live yesterday with the chillies and boy was that AWESOME!
Chad is really one of my favourite musicians of all time. Not only has he got an amazing groove and feel, but he is also, which funny enough is highly under rated by many musicians theese days, an INCREDIBLE showman! You really get a feeling that he
loves what he is doing. He sits behind his kit with a big smile and makes all theese kind of amazing stick throws, and he catches the sticks everytime! He also played a nice GROOVE BASED drum solo where he at the same time conducted the audiences cheering. However, my fellow drummers, yesterday something very strange happened, but before I tell you what happened I have to tell you that I have thought about spending next year studying drums with one of the BIG GUYS. I have thought about many teachers such as Hakim, Erskine, Zoro, Igoe and... Chad Smith but I really cant decide. Back to the story now. I was standing among the crowd in the front, but not the front row. However, suddently out of no where one of RHCP's crew members appear in front of me and gives me one of Chads sticks, an original Vater Chad Smith funkblaster! Usually I am not supersticious but I "take this as a sign" that I shall study with Chad next year :)

Anyway go see the Chilli Peppers, especially to you Finn, since you "adviced" me to see Questlove with the Roots :)

Is it just me or was he actually a bit DRUNK at Modern Drummer Festival 2005? Like after he plays his....groove (solo? haha) he's like, "How doya get tha- gig man? Gotta play a groooooove man!" He was slurring so bad it was hillarious.

I personally love the guys playing and I TOO have one of his Funk Blasters from one of his concerts. Great drummer, what a lot of people don't realize is that just because he's not too technical doesn't mean he's not awesome, his FEEL his GROOVE is truly awesome and he plays to serve the MUSIC rather than himself.

Rock on Chad.

I saw Chad In Stockholm 12/12 and he was brilliant. He did a very cool solospot and was extremely tight. A sold out show and the gig was great!

Every once in a while I like to check into this thread and see what folks have to say. Chad was not one of my bigger influences when I was younger drummer but ever since I saw his Modern Drummer 2005 performance that has changed. I spent years in the basement as a self taught drummer and did not focus on groove as much as I did on being a flashy drummer, all chops crazy and stuff. Not until I started getting formal training with an instructor and began to play with musicians did I really understand the imoprtance of groove. Chad really puts that in your face at the MD2005 perfomance and it makes perfect sense. So you dont have to like Chad Smith's playing but it does not hurt to listen to his message. Ever since that performance Chad Smith is a drummer I study a lot....I love his groove and the little subtleties in his playing. Chad Rocks!!

Every once in a while I like to check into this thread and see what folks have to say. Chad was not one of my bigger influences when I was younger drummer but ever since I saw his Modern Drummer 2005 performance that has changed. I spent years in the basement as a self taught drummer and did not focus on groove as much as I did on being a flashy drummer, all chops crazy and stuff. Not until I started getting formal training with an instructor and began to play with musicians did I really understand the imoprtance of groove. Chad really puts that in your face at the MD2005 perfomance and it makes perfect sense. So you dont have to like Chad Smith's playing but it does not hurt to listen to his message. Ever since that performance Chad Smith is a drummer I study a lot....I love his groove and the little subtleties in his playing. Chad Rocks!!

Same here,saw the MD performance and immediatley got into Chili Peppers. I think his playing on Give It Away was what caught my attention the most about his style. Simplistic yet so heavy and funky. Long live the funk,lol.

Back