Quick Torque Cam & Speed Cobra

Alright well I guess my PayPal account did not have my house number on the address so Lucas had to ship out the cams again, and I just got them a mere 2 days later. I gotta say first off, Lucas has been absolutely exceptional to work with. Talk about prefect customer service, this dude is about as hands-on & friendly as you're going to meet. Now on to the cams...

As soon as I got these, I installed them. I noticed right off the bat that I needed all 3 spacers that come with is because the Speed Cobra spring arm juts out quite a bit. In doing so, the spring is actually slightly at a slant in comparison to the cam hook. I don't think it will be a problem in the future, but who knows. Also, because of the spacers, the bar that connects the slave pedal to the main drive shaft doesn't slide into the drive shaft completely, but I still don't know if that would be a problem. I jammed a little with them and they felt a little weird but not too different. Much more torque at the end and the of the strokes so they are much more responsive. I just don't feel like I'm getting the power I got with the stock spring arms. I will experiment some more and provide further feedback

20130717_140829_zpse8ce15b9.jpg

20130717_140806_zpsb66c9228.jpg

20130717_140743_zpsdf1181c1.jpg

Yeah, Lucas was a very cool guy when I tried (& bought) the cam at the Chicago Show.

At first, I didn't really sense any real benefit from it either, but after messing with the settings of the openings, it really made the difference. After I set the openings, the stroke is more even feeling in both directions.
It was subtle at first, but then I dialed in the spring tension, and wow, what a difference in things I had a bit more trouble keeping consistent with over a whole song.
Things I could already do, most of that is just smoother, but the things I couldn't do as well improved a whole lot, and it's easy to shift from a couple feels doing shuffle beats during a song, and keeping one multi-beat pattern solid through a whole tune.

Yeah, Lucas was a very cool guy when I tried (& bought) the cam at the Chicago Show.

At first, I didn't really sense any real benefit from it either, but after messing with the settings of the openings, it really made the difference. After I set the openings, the stroke is more even feeling in both directions.
It was subtle at first, but then I dialed in the spring tension, and wow, what a difference in things I had a bit more trouble keeping consistent with over a whole song.
Things I could already do, most of that is just smoother, but the things I couldn't do as well improved a whole lot, and it's easy to shift from a couple feels doing shuffle beats during a song, and keeping one multi-beat pattern solid through a whole tune.

What do you mean by the openings? I did notice that once I loosened the spring tensions, they felt better.

What do you mean by the openings? I did notice that once I loosened the spring tensions, they felt better.

There are two chrome hex head screws--one on top, one on the side. They open and close the cam for a slightly different feel.

Oh yeah, there's a much better feel with the spring tension lower. In my case, it was a LOT less tension. I got all the action and power I was used to, but felt better and smoother than before--without feeling too smooth, and like nothing under my foot.

There are two chrome hex head screws--one on top, one on the side. They open and close the cam for a slightly different feel.

Oh yeah, there's a much better feel with the spring tension lower. In my case, it was a LOT less tension. I got all the action and power I was used to, but felt better and smoother than before--without feeling too smooth, and like nothing under my foot.

What settings are you using?

Almost all the way "open" for the one on the side of the cam--there's only a little bit of space showing. It might even feel the same if I had it all the way, but I haven't messed with it again after I liked the feel.

The top one is pretty much in the middle of the sliding space if you look at it from the side.

I'd post a pic, but my new camera is too new for my computers OS version to load the stuff for it!!

Did my first ACTUAL GIG with the cam on the pedal. A 3 setter night.
Pedal felt even better than before, and was SO EASY to play. Very happy with the addition of the Quick Torque cam to my pedals.

What settings are you using?

Hey Scottie have you noticed any significant improvement so far??

I guess it must take some time to play with the settings and adjust to it but I'd like to hear what you have to say about it. I also have a Speedcobra and I'm still deciding whether I should get one or not.

Did my first ACTUAL GIG with the cam on the pedal. A 3 setter night.
Pedal felt even better than before, and was SO EASY to play. Very happy with the addition of the Quick Torque cam to my pedals.

Thanks for all of the detailed info throughout this thread, Karl, I'm going to pick up a QTC for my IC, before I invest in a new Eliminator. If I'm not mistaken, even if I still want an Eliminator after trying the QTC on my IC, the same one fits both pedals, so I can put it on the Eliminator instead if I want.

This is the first I'm hearing about this.

What do these things do?

They delay the onset of high spring tension until just before your beater hits the head, ie you have the spring looser than normal to start with, so there is less initial resistance but as the beater approaches the head the QTC 'catches' more of the spring and ramps up the tension which provides for a quicker return.

So the pedal is easier to push on, like having loose spring tension, but still returns to starting position as fast as if it was using a higher spring tension.

It's like the red beater cam on Pearl Eliminators but used on the spring instead, and it's adjustable.

I just bought the Speed Cobra pedal. It hasn't even arrived yet. I read this thread and just ordered a Quick Torque Cam for it. You guys sold me.

Why not have the best performing pedal I can right?

They delay the onset of high spring tension until just before your beater hits the head, ie you have the spring looser than normal to start with, so there is less initial resistance but as the beater approaches the head the QTC 'catches' more of the spring and ramps up the tension which provides for a quicker return.

So the pedal is easier to push on, like having loose spring tension, but still returns to starting position as fast as if it was using a higher spring tension.

It's like the red beater cam on Pearl Eliminators but used on the spring instead, and it's adjustable.
The way you describe it, it sounds like it just makes sense. Why couldn't we engineer this on normal pedals? Seems as it would cost the same, just use a different jig for the cam. I may be checking this out.
I just bought the Speed Cobra pedal. It hasn't even arrived yet. I read this thread and just ordered a Quick Torque Cam for it. You guys sold me.

Why not have the best performing pedal I can right?
Let us know the results, PLEASE! I may be getting a couple of these.

Alright so here's my 2 cents after a months use:

The quick torque cam definitely makes a difference in your pedal response. Like a user previously mentioned, it does not utilize the potential of the spring tension until right before the beater hits the head, causing the beater and pedal to snap back quicker upon impact. Essentially, you're spring tension is much more lose than you would originally have it. HOWEVER, here's my experience with the SPEED COBRAS:

I used the QTC for a week before my spring snapped on my pedal. The Speed Cobras use a special "Super Spring" (that's literally what it's called) that uses a more brittle alloy. It was nearly impossible to find a replacement as well. What does this spring do as opposed to regular springs? Here is the official description:

"The newly developed Super Spring needs less exertion in the beginning of pedal action. When the beater rebounds from the bass drum head, you can easily feel a quicker response, and by adjusting the Cobra Coil underneath the footboard, you can acquire a smoother feel."

Basically, the Speed Cobra already comes stock with the same technology that the QTC is supposed to provide, thus, there is no need for a QTC on a Speed Cobra. Moreover, when installing all 3 spacers on the spring arm holder, the spring still wasn't completely lined up with the cam so it oscillated at an angle rather than straight, causing more awkward torque to the spring. This could've helped contribute to the broken spring.

One last thing, if you're using a double pedal, the QTC and its spacers takes up a bit of space on the slave spring holder arm side, providing less space for the slave connector rod to mount it. Eventually, I put my stock Speedo Ring arms back on my speed cobra and have been enjoying them ever since. All in all I think the Quick Torque Cam is a great product that really works, I just don't think it should be used on the Speed Cobra, which already incorporates the same technology the QTC promotes.

Alright so here's my 2 cents after a months use:

Basically, the Speed Cobra already comes stock with the same technology that the QTC is supposed to provide, thus, there is no need for a QTC on a Speed Cobra.

Thanks, your review has been very helpful.
I can see the QTC being worth it for Iron Cobras and most of other type of pedals but like you said, there is a reason why the Speed Cobra already comes with a newly designed spring that makes the QTC not so worth it so I guess I'm going to save my money here.

Thanks a lot

Used on the other IC pedals (Rolling & the other one...Powerglide?) I felt a HUGE difference in feel in the side by side.
The Demon Drive, and DW's too.
I use the Red Cam on the Eliminator, and like I said it was smooth to begin with, but the QTC made a difference I noticed more after a little while, than right away.

The only other pedal I've played that feels as good to me as an Elim., is the Tama Flexi IC with the Cobra Coil. Not sure I'd use a QTC on that one. Things not lining up perfectly would be a concern too.
The Cobra Coil seemed like a weird gimmick, but it actually felt really good when I tried it.

My (3rd) Eliminator without the QTC still feels great, but, I can feel a tiny bit more effort is needed compared with the other 2.

I did some hunting around and it looks like the Speed Cobra has been having consistent problems with springs breaking even without the QTC.

I think I'll A/B the pedal with the stock spring and the pedal with the QTC & a normal spring once I get it.

I'll let you all know what I find.

I did some hunting around and it looks like the Speed Cobra has been having consistent problems with springs breaking even without the QTC.

I think I'll A/B the pedal with the stock spring and the pedal with the QTC & a normal spring once I get it.

I'll let you all know what I find.

This is the first I'm hearing of broken springs on Speed Cobras...

Please post link!

If this is an issue, I should probably keep an extra set, just in case. I have never had any spring break on me - ever.

Back