Drum Keys

My favorite is a ludwig key, I believe from the 70's. It has about 2 inches on either side of the vertical member. it is tapered in the center , where your fingers would go and is comfortable.

I always have a drum key on my keychain. Also, in the car. And every once in a while i find one in the diaper bag..damn toddlers...

I bought some of the evans keys that also double as cymbal wing nuts. I friggin love them.

Thos + the key that comes with the iron cobra pedal, means that i have 4 attached drum keys on my kit at all times.

Very nice. On my key ring that I keep in my pocket, I have a house key, my van key, and a drum key, so I have on all the time. Dunno if I could keep track of four though...

Yes, it is possible. The most of noname keys I bought on ebay and all of them were declared as drum keys. But later I found that some of those keys are not drum keys, but banjo keys or roller skate keys. Some sellers think they will get more money when they declare it as drum keys and it is not o.k. But what can I do? So please could you tell me which keys in my collection may be roller skate keys?
Thanks

I was only teasing, kidding.(lol) most of the young guys wouldn't know a roller skate key with rollerblades being the thing these days.

Grunt, I haven't seen a Roller Skate key since I was a child in the 60s.
It is no wonder that people didn't understand what you meant.

Hi, I am new here and come from Czech Republic. I have not bad collection of drum keys
(about 350 pcs). You can watch it here:

http://www.drumkeys.eu

When you click on "Galerie ladicich klicku" - you can see pics of all my keys
When you click on "Podrobnosti o sbirce klicku" - you can find the keys in alphabetical row and find some infos about them

How do you like it?
Arno

Nice collection of keys! Now, if you only had the correct drum to go with each. :)

Barry

Grunt, I haven't seen a Roller Skate key since I was a child in the 60s.
It is no wonder that people didn't understand what you meant.

LOL yeah I was kind of scratching my head for a minute as well. Don't think I've ever heard of anyone using a roller skate key.

Arno! Pretty Freakin Impressive!!
I like it.

I was looking for a Wilson Bros. for my 1925 Wilson Bros. 16" snare drum. Wilson Brothers made drums in Chicago USA from 1915 to 1928 from what I've been able to fine out. A member of another drum Forum gave me a key - it kind of fits but it's not the actual key for the drum.

Maybe you have the "proper" key?? it looks like you "all" the drum keys haha.

Thanks for posting the link this fine collection.

Cheers,

Hi, I am new here and come from Czech Republic. I have not bad collection of drum keys
(about 350 pcs). You can watch it here:

http://www.drumkeys.eu

When you click on "Galerie ladicich klicku" - you can see pics of all my keys
When you click on "Podrobnosti o sbirce klicku" - you can find the keys in alphabetical row and find some infos about them

How do you like it?
Arno

Hi Kona,
thanks for appreciation. I added three new keys to my collection and another 4 or 5 are on the way across the Atlantic ocean to me. But unfortunetaly there´s not the "proper" key for your Wilson Bros snare drum among them. And I´m afraid it will be very hard to find one if ever exists. But I´m still on looking for keys, so I let you know. Good luck!
And btw. what is the diameter of screws? And are square or hex?

It's a square head - 5/16"

Hi Kona,
thanks for appreciation. I added three new keys to my collection and another 4 or 5 are on the way across the Atlantic ocean to me. But unfortunetaly there´s not the "proper" key for your Wilson Bros snare drum among them. And I´m afraid it will be very hard to find one if ever exists. But I´m still on looking for keys, so I let you know. Good luck!
And btw. what is the diameter of screws? And are square or hex?

Attachments

• 5 16th inch - TAPE & T med.JPG
    5 16th inch - TAPE & T med.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,376
Last edited:
This Evans key is BY FAR my favorite key that Ive ever owned, simply because of the thumbscrew thing at the top!

http://media.zzounds.com/media/feed/large/EVNDADK.jpg

Hi, here is Arno, the owner of drum key collection www.drumkeys.eu
I found this your old post from January 2011, where you wrote about the EVANS magnetic head drum key you owned and posted the picture of this key:

I am very interested in this key and I would like to aks if you still own it.
Why am I interested? The key on your picture is old version which is no more tu buy in any shop and I do not have it in my collection. I have this newer version:
http://daddario.com/EvProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3567&productid=447&pr

So, please let me know if you still have this key and if you can change it for the newer version. The shape of the upper part of the key is the same, it has also this thumbscrew thing at the top which you like, only the bottom part - socket - of the key is a little bit different -but it does not affect the functionality of the key.
Let me know, please.
Thanks
Arno

How do you like it?
Arno

Arno, that is an amazing collection to acquire in four years.

Just curious how many more keys you have on your radar that you are searching for.

I probably have about 7 or 8 keys stashed away, but I always use my Tama drum key. It's the most comfortable in my hand and it has a knob on top for finger tightening the rods before tensioning them. That said, I always keep the drum key that came with my Vector pedal in my bag because it has the Allen key required to make angle adjustments to the pedal on it.

Drum keys. Back in the '70's I started always carrying a drum key with me at all times. Hey, you never know when you'll need it, right?
Went to a Grand Funk concert and after the show just hung around the front of the stage as we all do and asked the roadie for Don Brewer's drum key. He said, "no, he has to have it." Next time past I bothered him again and asked if he could trade mine for his (they were both Ludwig keys) he said, sure. So I watched him closely to make sure he didn't pull the ol switherooo on me. He didn't and I had Don's key and he had mine. From then on, every picture of his kit that I would see in magazines, if it showed the floor tom, which is where he kept it, now showed MY key. LOL A few years later I did the same thing with Alan White of YES back when they played "in the round" at Purdue University. Was gonna try for more but never did. This Drum key thread brought back some good memories. Yes, I still have them.

My two favorites are the Dunnett eKee and the DW Rack Hi-Torque rubber-coated drum key.

This Evans key is BY FAR my favorite key that Ive ever owned, simply because of the thumbscrew thing at the top!

Tama has the same thing:
41KzoaweviL.jpg

Completely different

Perhaps better since it's meant to be used with a small socket wrench or drill bit attachment. Only time I really see that used is for taking heads off faster, but still a cool feature for a small piece of metal.

Also, why the hell do we need little squares instead of a regular screw or bolt head?

Back