Changing head decision

Drumgod21

I play on a Yamaha 7 ply birch shell kit, snare included. I play mostly 70's, 80's, 90's rock and am not a heavy hitter. Very rudimental, and articulated sticking. I am now playing on Remo Coated Emperor heads for my toms, and had been using a Remo Powerstroke 3 on the snare.

I like the Powerstroke, but want something even better. Looking at either Evans, or Remo. I want something that my flams, drags and ghost notes will be noticed in as well as my fast sticking rudiments (flam-drags, cheeses, etc) and accents. I'm looking for a head that is durable, and snappy. I don't like the 'ping' of some snares. I'm looking for more of the Neil Peart full sounding snare with the snap and full spring sound. I used to march corps, and I have brought that style to my drum set.

If it helps (or not) I use a Vater Concert Maple nylon tip stick.

Advice?

Id say to try Aquarian studio x on toms and maybe a coated focus x on snare. I use a coated studio x but you might find that a bit too open, either way you wont find anything that comes close to the durability offered in Aquarian heads. BTW I find all 2 ply heads to be too dead no matter who makes them.

Last edited:
Well Remo's coating sucks! love the heads but the coating doesn't hold up.

I would say Evans..I've been testing the G2's on my tom and they are working and holding up well.

The Power Stroke 3 is yet still the best bass drum head if you want low end punch..not sure why Evans doesn't compare?

For you snare the best heads are single ply. Try maybe a Evans G1 coated. Or try a Attack single ply coated. I'm currently testing this head also ..I must say the attack head sounds awesome! just seeing how long the coating last now.

You could try the Ambassador X Coated. Would be a good choice IMO for Remo.

Believe it or not, I just ordered a 13 and 14" version of these just to try them out. I've been using Evans for many years but going to give Remo another shot at the title. haha

I would stick with coated heads and definitely avoid 2-ply if you want a snappy sound.
Really? I've used Ambassadors before and it seems that I'm ironing them after each night, and I'm not even a heavy hitter! Used to do the pinstripe, but that's just stupid-way to thick. Dumb question: A coated ambassador holds up better than a clear?

You could try the Ambassador X Coated. Would be a good choice IMO for Remo.

Believe it or not, I just ordered a 13 and 14" version of these just to try them out. I've been using Evans for many years but going to give Remo another shot at the title. haha

How does the X differ from the regular Ambassador? It seems like the consensus is to avoid the Emperor like I was going to go with, and to shoot for an Ambassador. Any reason the coated Emperor wouldn't be what I'm looking for? Trying to get that deep full, heart skipping tone on the toms and bright snap on the snare.

Just trying to educate myself. Thanks guys

Last edited:
Back