Color or B&W?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hi all,

So I'm preparing a resume/press kit for myself - I have a big audition coming up in a week and didn't want to go in there with nothing - and I've done the narcissistic thing of shooting my own drum-headshot. I know the classic thing is to give them one in black & white, but I've included both here to see what the Drummerworld brethren think.

Personally, I think I look better in monochrome than in color. I suppose it doesn't matter and in this day and age everything should be in color, right? What do y'all think?

(For you photography buffs, I lit this with only one monolight shooting into a silver umbrella)

Attachments

• Drumshot_color_web.jpg
    Drumshot_color_web.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 234
  • Drumshot_bw_web.jpg
    Drumshot_bw_web.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 233
I actually really like the colors and how everything fits together in the photo on the left, but I’m also not very good with stuff like this. English? Yea. Artsy stuff? Not so much haha.

I think both are acceptable but if you submit the black and white one nobody will know that your kit and the background all go with the theme. Yanno?

Your shirt is too much the same color as the background and you kind of get lost. I'd use something bit a bit more contrast.

I think there's definitely enough of a difference between the values of the background and the shirt, especially in the shoulder area, that this shouldn't be a problem. I like how the kit, shirt, and background all "kinda" match.

You look like a serious player in both pics. Nice composition and facial expression. I'd hire you for a session...

My vote is for the color one. Your shirt is similar in color as the kit and backdrop, but you're not "blending" into it or anything. Both are classy pics, but go with the color.

go with the color! just too much b&w,nothing stands out!if u could do your kit in color and you b&w that would be cool!

Also, if you really want to catch someones eye, look up what Chelsea Handler did in her audition tapes. That woman is a go getter!

I like both; but the color shot does indeed breathe a little life into the shot. Plus, why look like everyone else with your pub shot?

BTW: You need to take a new one with your center post installed - - and of course your four-fingered stick twirl (j/k).

I like both; but the color shot does indeed breathe a little life into the shot. Plus, why look like everyone else with your pub shot?

BTW: You need to take a new one with your center post installed - - and of course your four-fingered stick twirl (j/k).

Hahahaha! Thanks fro the replies. I did eventually go with the color one. And you're right, I have to do it again now that I have a tom mount on the bass drum!

Also, I can't express the disappointment I felt when I realized you weren't the girl in your profile picture. Hmm, maybe you should get her to pose for these pictures. I bet you'd get a few more calls than usual!

If you are talking resume and portfolio, why not take both??

Also, I can't express the disappointment I felt when I realized you weren't the girl in your profile picture. Hmm, maybe you should get her to pose for these pictures. I bet you'd get a few more calls than usual!

Yeah, talk about flat-out misrepresenting yourself...

And the shot isn't really for a portfolio, I used it as a tag photo on a resume. Some photogs are really good at self-portraits and don't mind showing them. I don't think too many people, including me, are interested in seeing me.

I think there's definitely enough of a difference between the values of the background and the shirt, especially in the shoulder area, that this shouldn't be a problem. I like how the kit, shirt, and background all "kinda" match.

You look like a serious player in both pics. Nice composition and facial expression. I'd hire you for a session...

The lack of contrast is more of a problem with the black-and-white. The color looks about right and yes, it is nice to match your drums.

I googled Disneyland and in the search box on the Disney site I typed in Bo Eder,
and this came up. Just sayin.....

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 92
I googled Disneyland and in the search box on the Disney site I typed in Bo Eder,
and this came up. Just sayin.....

lol - talk about misrepresenting yourself.

I love B&W but I agree with the others; I prefer the colour shot. You have a strong greyscale presence anyway so there's already some of the B&W elegance there, but with splashes of colour (kick hoop and skintone) that have a dramatic effect. A bit like Sin City:

CANVAS0589_small.jpg

In the end, either would make a good quality promo shot.

I like the black and white photo better...how ever, you should've posed with the sonor kit instead.. of the. tha tama's

How did I miss this thread earlier?

Well, I'd go color.

Besides, we know Bo really looks like this:
59-01.jpg

Which oddly, is a mix of B&W and color!

Back