Travis Barker

Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

There are many dislikers not haters, which is fine. The word - dislike - fits much better, if you want to take it as an personal issue with T.B....then hate him.

I don't hate the guy either. I just get tired of seeing his face all over everything that has to do with drums. Does Zildjian not have anybody else on their artist roster to market their product other than Barker? You pick up a drum mag. and somewhere in the mag. will be Barker. Then i get on Youtube to see what other drummers are doing and more than half of them are setting up their kits like him and trying to do their best Barker impression. It just gets very old.

As i said i don't hate the guy and he has certainly earned what he has. From what i understand he is a great dad and husband and is obviousely hard working. Drum wise i would say he is better than some but not as good as most. Blink has some songs that i like but not enough to say that i'm a fan of the band. I guess i'm just tired of seeing the guys' face plasterd all over everything and his fans ( what i like to call "Travis Nation") is very annoying.

do not hate the guy. i think he is a great drummer w/ some great chops, cool ideas that mesh great w/ punk, rap, DJ scratching & other break-beat type stuff. the only critical thing i can say is that he needs to give up smoking pot & looking obviously stoned in 1/2 the print ads he is in.

i do hate his troll / fans that post on youtube.com. find any popular / hi-ranked video of Vinnie, Bonham, Peart, etc. at least one of the comments will be "this drummer sucks compared to TB" and so forth as a flame war starts for no reason.

Success always polarizes opinion.

You get all out lovers and of course all out haters who fuel
each others love/hate for the person in question with there
extreme views, opinions and arguments. The cycle
feeds itself!

You often find the man himself is just getting on with business
and doesn't give two hoots about the whole thing.

Thankfully we're a worldly and intelligent bunch here at drummerworld
and are able to notice the individuals (be it TB, Ringo Starr or any other
drummer for that matter) contribution to music! ;-)

I can honestly say I have never heard him play. Why you may ask? Because I am not into Punk music. There are plenty of good drummers out there in many genres but I can't get past the music. all the metal and death metal etc etc etc. Play me a nice melody without screaming into the mic and I may listen. Now you know why.

I hear ya. Good drummer but the music that does not speak to me. Will his music age the way other classic bands have aged? I don't know.

GJS

I can honestly say I have never heard him play. Why you may ask? Because I am not into Punk music. There are plenty of good drummers out there in many genres but I can't get past the music. all the metal and death metal etc etc etc. Play me a nice melody without screaming into the mic and I may listen. Now you know why.

same here, one exception Ronnie James Dio, nice melody though
eg: Rainbow Eyes from Rainbow's Long Live Rock n roll- thankfully no drums in that song :)

I actually like Travis' playing with Blink 182. I'm not into punk or pop-punk, but I think he did some very creative stuff with them. I wouldn't necessarily think he's got too great time though.
MikeM said:
that saccharine-sweet singer is more grating to me than cookie monster vocals.
Honestly, I always think all those punk singers sound exactly the same, don't they? As if either they're all one and the same guy, or they try to clone each other's voices...!
DSCRAPRE said:
Simply put people hate Travis Barker because he's popular.
That's quite a silly thing to do. I don't think Travis (or most of the popular drummers for that matter) deserve to be hated for their popularity, because they simply aren't able to help it. It's not them claiming they're the best, it's their fanboys.
Mike Portnoy comes to mind: I once read in an interview answering the question what instrument he played: Piano, Bass, Guitar and Drums (I believe), but none of them really good (including drums!!!) It's not a quote but it must have been something like that. How humble, and how opposite to what many fanboys of his are claiming all the time and all over youtube!

At some point I realized that I like all drummers just because they're drummers. I'm not a huge fan personally of Travis, but I can respect what he does.

Swiss,

When I wrote that, I had this feeling that I should have changed it. I don't hate him as a person, his idiotic fanboys just tainted me on him. I can't stand the sight of him because I mentally project all of the moronic things that those tube trolls say onto him. I know it's not fair, but it's just a knee-jerk reaction type of thing. I'm just disgusted by him because he is everything that the uninformed bigmouths worship. Plus I always thought he looked like a world class tosser. Of course there is always the double handed cymbal bashing, convulsions, perpetual shirtlessness, and general empty showboating to look down upon.

On the other hand I was very impressed with his marching snare solo............until I saw about 30 guys in Blast Drum Corps totally blow him out of the water, simultaneously.

I hope I seem (slightly) more sane now.

Last edited:

I wish that todays teens or young people would get rid of two words used so often in their vocabulary that they almost become meaningless. First, any type of negative criticism is labeled HATE. Lose it. Secondly, anything not liked is GAY. Lose it. Expand your vocabulary to use words that truly convey what you mean and more people may pay attention.

As some here have said he is certainly a humble man and quite devoted to his kids. Interestingly he has recently expressed a passion for Jazz. His own father brought him up to appreciate lots of different musical genres from an early age and exposed him to a wide range of recorded materials and musical experiences.

He said in an interview recently that when he retires, that he would like nothing more than to concentrate on playing only Jazz. His other passion is for his collection of classic Cadillacs.

im a teenager...and I meet a drummer my age, finally some to have 12-hour talks about drums
so I ask him: whos your favourite drummer ? (please not travis barker, please not travis barker...)

its travis barker

DOH!!

no, but seriously, his solos are really bad, yes its blink, but he can switch bands anytime he wants, and his style looks really stiff and uncofortable (if it works for him, i would have broken my spine by now), theres no flow Id say, and his kit is so small...

kind of feel sorry for him though, he might be one of the most famous drummers around, but hes also one of the most hated

no, but seriously, his solos are really bad, yes its blink, but he can switch bands anytime he wants, and his style looks really stiff and uncofortable (if it works for him, i would have broken my spine by now), theres no flow Id say, and his kit is so small...

I NEVER thought I'd see myself defending him, but here I am. I always thought that he looked really cool playing the way he does. It gets people's attention, which is why he's so famous. It's not really ergonomic, but it's horses for courses. He doesn't really groove as well as most of the drummers I like, but it's fine for that music. And having a small kit doesn't make you a bad drummer, just like having a big kit doesn't make you a good one.

I was heavily involved in acting in high school. During that time I hosted my school's talent show, introducing the acts and other assorted MC shtick (see avatar picture). Well, there were several bands playing that night and, just getting into drumming myself, I talked to the drummers a bit. They all seemed to really like this Travis Barker fellow (I hadn't yet heard of him at the time). So the first band went up and played. The drummer (wearing the requisite sideways hat and blazed facial expression) played WAY over everything, he was just pounding the crap out of the drums. All you could hear was him, that was it. This continued through the whole show. So I go home and look up Travis barker on You Tube. It all made sense. One of several reasons why I can't stand Travis Barker. I know it's not his fault and I don't hold it against him personally.

I don't hate Travis Barker, I just don't think that he deserves to be worshiped.

When I first started playing Travis Barker and Tre Cool were my biggest influences. I think Travis Baker is extremley creative and very influential. I think the reason he is "hated" by so many is because people who dont even play drums know who he is, therefore, he has a lot more popularity over..steve gadd...etc. I also think that people belive that he has the mind set that he is better than everyone else when his pesonality is quite the opposite. Personally I think he is a fantastic drummer on the rock/punk seen.

I wish that todays teens or young people would get rid of two words used so often in their vocabulary that they almost become meaningless. First, any type of negative criticism is labeled HATE. Lose it. Secondly, anything not liked is GAY. Lose it. Expand your vocabulary to use words that truly convey what you mean and more people may pay attention.

I know we have our differences, but as a teenager I must say that that's spot-on.

Amen to that Gruntersdad!!

I don't hate him either. As many have said here he supposedly has a nice guy reputation.

Yeah it's the issues about the psychotic youtube fanboys and an over zealous press machine that supply him any negativity he might experience. The fanboys he can't help...the press agent he can control since his people are the ones paying for all that. So yes it's fair to say that he's partially responsible for his less than favorable rep with a small segment of the drumming community, who not coincidentally also comprise largely of fanboys representing heroes of sometimes equally suspicious iconic status.

So I guess the bigger question should be why should anyone care?

I guess with me /and again this has little to do with Barker himself/ are how all these people cite as an attribute his supposed luring a generation of young people to drums as if the drums themselves weren't enough of a calling card.

See, I think the last several decades have always had this magnet drummer who does this and at least in my mind the bar seems like its probably different than before.

In the 30s and much of the 40s it was Krupa playing the role as Travis...a first class musician on all counts.

The late 50s saw Morello assuming a lot of this and in the 60s Buddy Rich seems to have been the drumming god entry point for newbies wanting to be drummers. Now notice how I didn't say drummers wanting to be integrated into a popular / cool band. So to me Ringo, Moon, and Baker contributions represent a different dynamic.

Steve Gadd and Bonham's legacy seemed to be performing some of this role during much of the 70s...no doubt about the basics there.

Then I think we had a different bar.

Lee in the eighties. Did anyone see that reality show a couple of years back where he almost didn't make the University of Nebraska drumline as a quad player of all things.

Tre Cool/Grohl in the nineties...

Finally Barker.

So no offense, but isn't that a more disappointing standard for which to aspire? And in all honesty, wouldn't a clear headed and rational person like Travis Barker say the same thing?

Back