Snare - Recommended Batter/Reso Combinations?

Qanda

So I'm looking to upgrade the used heads that came with my equally used Tama Swingstar snare: Evens Genera G1 coated and Remo Weatherking Ambassador clear. (I'll be replacing the snare wire as well in an effort to wring as good a tone out of this thing.)

Before I head to the shop, I was wondering what batter/reso head combinations any of you can recommend? I've heard a lot about the G2/Hazy 300 combo in particular, but what else?

Some specifics:

- I looking for more of a deeper tone.
- I would like to keep it around $15 per head.
- This is a practice set so I don't care as much about volume as I do about tunability, longevity, etc.

- I looking for more of a deeper tone.
- I would like to keep it around $15 per head.
- This is a practice set so I don't care as much about volume as I do about tunability, longevity, etc.

Evans EC reverse dot over Hazy 300 w Puresound blaster wires

I think a basic Emperor/G2 batter over an Ambassador/Hazy 300 is a good starting point for what you're looking for.

As for snare wires I'm really a big fan of Pearl's Ultra-Sound wires. They don't seem to get anywhere near the word-of-mouth that Puresound's wires get but I think they sound great.

Remo coated rev. dot CS(Controlled sound) batter with ambassador hazy snare side.

I've always used coated ambassador's in the past but the CS coated rev.dot is a sweet snare head .

The coated amb. ring out a little too much for my tastes the CS is still sensitive but with the right amount of ring IMO

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

Cheers very much for the suggestions.

I think I will try the G2 coated/Hazy 300 combo with Puresound blasters as a "good starting point," as Winston put it. I'll keep these suggestions in mind when trying for different sounds in the future.

Remo coated rev. dot CS(Controlled sound) batter with ambassador hazy snare side.

I've always used coated ambassador's in the past but the CS coated rev.dot is a sweet snare head .

The coated amb. ring out a little too much for my tastes the CS is still sensitive but with the right amount of ring IMO

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

This, and the dot gives you a little more *oomph* when it comes to that big backbeat or a rim shot.

Both are great heads but the still quite open sound and sensitivity of the Reverse CS Dot gets my vote.

Back