Favorite Song You Now Dislike

Point taken.
I remember being guided towards Aja by people whose opinions I placed much higher than my own. I do still like it, but that's probably because it also occupies a time of life that, with the benefit of hindsight, was sweet, carefree, etc., etc.
And, well, I .......
Don't really need to justify, do I.
Nor question someone elses choices, come to think of it.

Well, you caught the ' ;) ' right? I am partially joking.

About what part, I'll leave that up for debate ;)

Yeah, no worries.
I think it hadn't occured to me until you came back with a reading of the music that, to be honest, I hadn't considered; that my affection for it was coming from someplace else completely.
You know, how things that we may have 'treasured' may not have been scrutinised in the full light of day; kind of a thing?!!!

Yeah, no worries.
I think it hadn't occured to me until you came back with a reading of the music that, to be honest, I hadn't considered; that my affection for it was coming from someplace else completely.
You know, how things that we may have 'treasured' may not have been scrutinised in the full light of day; kind of a thing?!!!

Yeah, I get it. I was watching some old Bugs Bunny cartoons that I swear were so funny when I was 8. Nowadays, not so much.

But my dig on the college players totally revering certain artists and works, that's true. I've done gigs with people like this, and it's horrifying. There I would be at some VFW hall with a crowd who just wants to rock and I have a bass player who won't play low notes, or a guitar player who can't play 'inside'. I've had singers who couldn't swing the phrase "I will survive", and keyboardists whose only organ sound was that thin Wurlitzer church organ sound. I've suffered alot at the hands of these pretentious artists putting out albums full of fusiony fluff. I'd like a refund for some of that!

I feel your pain!
And, what's worse, I know I've fallen into that trap.
In fact................
O bollocks, I believe I've still got at least one foot and two hands in it!
In fact make that two hands and two feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One redeeming feature?
I still use a single bass drum pedal.

OOOOpppssss. Not starting anything. I repeat: Not anything starting!

Yeah, I get it. I was watching some old Bugs Bunny cartoons that I swear were so funny when I was 8. Nowadays, not so much.

Aja may get old.........Bugs and Daffy? Never!!

Don't have a once favoured song that I now hate. Plenty I may tire of due to repetition or bombardment, but that doesn't extend to dislike by any measure. In the right mood, I can still find something good in anything I like.....regardless of how often I've heard it. Generally speaking, if I hate it now it's because I hated it then. Favourites have become favourites for a reason......even a bit of overkill is unlikely to change that for me.

If anything, I roll the other way. There's a bunch of stuff I once didn't like or was too willing to dismiss, that the passage of time has actually given me an appreciation for.

I'll chime in and say Livin' on a prayer.

Liked it a whole lot 5-6 years ago, but now I can't listen to it.

Do you know what?
I was just thinking along similar lines.
When I scored a Stanley Clarke album from the clearance bin at a favourite record shop; I remember my disappointment that he was playing double bass, and it was a jazz album.
I was a teenager, and had only known his electric work.
Yeah, I hear the groans!
But that was then.
I gave it a couple of listens, but just didn't have any way to get into it then.

Times change.
And now I can't get a laugh out of the slap-stick in "Fawlty Towers".

Do you know what? [ Part 2 ]
Maybe I should use quotes, or learn to type a whole lot faster! Please refer back a bit for relevance!

Last edited:
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.O.K.
"Kan't touch that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Completely other idea: ' Least hits, most impact', as in sparse but oh so tasty drumming.
Anyone?

Is this another thread?

Last edited:
Hey Bo,
Just reviewed the posts, and was thinking back.
There are so definately ' why would you ? ' songs.
I hope I've never crossed that threshold.
Originals, perhaps is where the' note lust ' comes in. And then hopefully, taste raises it's head.
That being said; in charting the progress of favourite bands/ artists; I think that many players have perhaps pushed too hard in the name of progress.

However, if everything stays the same, nothing changes.
Another thread idea: ' Finger on the Pulse'.............who made a difference at the right time?
Take for example this: the Beatles. "Kind of Blue", Miles Davies.
I'm wondering how many songs/ tunes/ albums we remember would fit into the catergory of :
Holy shit, I was there then,when.
This underpins a part of me. Not only has that music become woven into my history, but with reflection, that moment has been acknowledged as a "Once in a lifetime"
I know I'm kind of 'slewing' sideways.
But,
And yes,
Here comes the point.
The thing you loved that you no longer love. Or continue to love.................
Is still a part of you, or, has changed because....................
Everything that you've done/learnt since says it's dated, or, a classic.
Just kind of rambling on association.

Last edited:
Hey Bo,
Just reviewed the posts, and was thinking back.
There are so definately ' why would you ? ' songs.
I hope I've never crossed that threshold.
Originals, perhaps is where the' note lust ' comes in. And then hopefully, taste raises it's head.
That being said; in charting the progress of favourite bands/ artists; I think that many players have perhaps pushed too hard in the name of progress.

Well, there's nothing wrong with pushing the envelope in the name of progress. I just think alot of players confuse progress with making a living. Not everyone can be Simon Phillips and make an album with Jeff Beck producing music like Space Boogie and get away with it ;)

I think Pol mentioned all that corporate muck jazz being thrown about during the 80s, and it's true. Oddly enough you can still get new muck jazz like that today. Even better, you don't have to buy a whole album of it, thanks to iTunes, eh?

Yeh, good point.
A good friend of mine gave me his cassette collection.
And the Yamaha unit to play it.
It's been an education.
The good and the 'bad'.
Holy shit, music moves!

O.K.
Last thing:
Music forever tainted:
Vivaldi's 'Four Seasons'

We danced it with plastic lawn mowers.
Not every season.
Obviously.

However, I heard Nigel do his thing on it.
Thank God/Good

O.K. Back to topic.
And sorry if I wandered a bit, but, there are reasons why we have associations with certain music in time. Good and bad.Looking back may bring the soft moments of being there, or the cold hard reality of, holy shit, it hasn't stood the passage of time.
So endeth the lesson.
Whatever, whatever, amen.

Aja may get old.........Bugs and Daffy? Never!!

Don't have a once favoured song that I now hate. Plenty I may tire of due to repetition or bombardment, but that doesn't extend to dislike by any measure. In the right mood, I can still find something good in anything I like.....regardless of how often I've heard it. Generally speaking, if I hate it now it's because I hated it then. Favourites have become favourites for a reason......even a bit of overkill is unlikely to change that for me.

If anything, I roll the other way. There's a bunch of stuff I once didn't like or was too willing to dismiss, that the passage of time has actually given me an appreciation for.

If I wait long enough, PFOG usually says exactly what I was thinking.

Frightening, (for him, at least!) but true.

Steely Dan's Aja.

There. I said it.

Yes overplayed and over-revered perhaps. My favorite Dan song is "Dirty Work" though. An early gem featuring that guy on vocals who went AWOL after the first LP. Not many great sessions musicians playing on that one I think...just a straightforward tune.

Back