Recommend some music from these drummers please

CaptainSticks

Hey guys,

Im interested in listening to some stuff that Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Gadd, Tony Williams, and Rodney Holmes.

Can you recommend some albums that really show some of the best of their playing?

Karizma- Document for Vinnie

Leprechaun- Chick Corea/ Aja- Steely Dan for Gadd

Way too many things for Tony..

yeah, i don't know where to start for him

Like the Picasso of music, Tony has gone through many phases as an artist.

Check out his stuff with Miles when he was very young, his own band Lifetime with McLaughlin which was kinda jazzrocky, and the VSOP quintet. Look up his discography and taste everything, because he was an all-time great. Listen to a tune called sister cheryl.

Pick up a recent Steve Kimock Band album and you've got some Rodney Holmes.

Mile's "Four and More" is a great example of burning early Tony.

"Emergency" is a great one in a different vein.

Check out Sting's "Ten Summoner's Tales" for a different Vinnie feel. Lots of odd-times, but it's Sting too. Really interesting.

"Aja" is a classic, but Gadd isn't the only drummer, there's also Jim Keltner, Rick Marotta, Bernard Purdie AND Paul Humphreys... Great album.

Hey guys,

Im interested in listening to some stuff that Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Gadd, Tony Williams, and Rodney Holmes.

Can you recommend some albums that really show some of the best of their playing?

The system has failed By Megadeth gives you some Vinnie. Maybe not hsi best owrk, but I'm a metal head, so I'm into it.

I enjoy Steve Gadd's playing on Paul Simon's recordings.

"Aja" is a classic, but Gadd isn't the only drummer, there's also Jim Keltner, Rick Marotta, Bernard Purdie AND Paul Humphreys... Great album.

True. I meant Aja, the song on the album. Steve plays an iconic drum solo too.

If you can get your hands on a copy of Chick Coreas " The Mad Hatter", their is some great Gadd work on that - especially on the track called "Humpty Dumpty."
Very hard to find though.

Vinnie- Zappa's Joe's Garage and Shut Up and Play Your Guitar (#1)

Tony Williams- Miles Live at the Plugged Nickel very advanced group collective improvisation

Back