Happy Halloween Favorite Horror/Thriller Movie

camcoman

Just as the title says. What are your favorite Halloween movie(s)? One of mine is Carnival of Souls '62.

John Linden: [pours whiskey in his morning coffee] What do you think, I'm an alcoholic? I just like to start the day off in a good mood.
Mary Henry: You must be hilarious by noon.

Last edited:
"Don't Look Now" was one of the creepiest movies I ever saw. Stellar acting, great settings, and disturbing story.

Last edited:
Never considered A Clockwork Orange a horror movie, more a social commentary and a cautionary film. Brilliant Burgess book and Kubrick film oh my brothers!

I've never been into the horror genre because most of them have just seemed silly to me, even as a little kid. However, the first Paranormal Activity really gave me the willies. And although it's not technically a horror flick, No Country For Old Men made me more uncomfortable than any other movie I've seen before. I've always thought that was the true essence of horror.

Re-animator. From '85. Dead people injected with green glowing serum are brought back to life and run amuck!

The movie that absolutely terrified and upset me as a kid, and still stands to me as the best horror film, is The Exorcist. I guess it just hit on too many taboos. I remember barely being able to watch it for fear of what was going to happen next.

The only film that approaches it for me is The Shining. Which is neck-and-neck with it, but for different reasons.

Gotta be Tobe Hooper's version of Salem's Lot. Saw it once when I was ten, haven't even considered watching it since.

Here's some reality horror...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202129812517526

And here's how it's done... simple but highly effective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE7mdZiXMj8

(On topic - to me Alien 1 was pretty shocking - probably the only movie I've seen where I kept watching at the clock every 5 minutes, couldn't stand the suspense and believe that this movie was still to run for another 40, 35, 30 etc minutes. Utter suspense, can't be topped. Plus, close to no splatter but what a movie! I also liked the ending of Alien 2/Aliens a lot.)

The movie that absolutely terrified and upset me as a kid, and still stands to me as the best horror film, is The Exorcist. I guess it just hit on too many taboos. I remember barely being able to watch it for fear of what was going to happen next.

When I was young I decided to scare myself by reading The Exorcist while listening to Black Sabbath's first album in a candlelit room with some herbal helper. It worked.

Later I saw the film and was suitably terrified. A few years later I visited a friend and he had The Exorcist video on while chatting with some others. He was pretty loud and I asked if he could tone it down while I watched the movie - I never forgot his reply: "Who cares? It's just a girl in a room going GRARRGH the whole time".

I tried watching again but the spell was broken. Turned out it actually was just a girl in a room going GRARRGH :)

I don't get to watch very many scary movies anymore.

"Carrie", "The Exorcist" and "Rosemary's Baby" scared me when I was a kid.

The original "The Wicker Man" (not the remake with Nicholas Cage) was pretty good.

My daughter talked me into watching "Incidious" the other night. Not very scary. The villan reminded me of Darth Maul. She says "Incidious 2" is much better, but not on Netflix yet. We also watched "The Human Centipede" because it is so terrible and campy.

Someone suggested a newer movie, "Martyrs", to me. I may see if it's on Netflix.

I remember finding American Werewolf In London both funny and scary.

Or maybe that was just because I was watching it on VHS.

Back