Can we have a 'like' button?

It's easy for everyone to keep tally because it's only incrementing one at a time and most drummers are capable of counting to at least four. Anyone who would consider this solution too complicated or cumbersome is underestimating the intelligence and motivation of their fellow human beings!
. . .

Attachments

• Easy....jpg
    Easy....jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 273
MAD, I was thinking something similar...
This thread is getting boring.

The OP made his point. The overwhelming majority of replies are against it. So if this forum _had_ a democratic structure the idea of a 'like' button would have been abandoned. And this forum isn't exactly a democracy. There's one mastermind behind it. I think this makes it pretty clear.

Thank heavens that's been resolved, then. Now I can get on with the rest of my life.Whew ..... and just in time for Easter. Party !!!!!!​

So a score of high posters and a site owner refuse to entertain interesting solutions to encorperate the views of individuals who do not wish to directly comment.

Thus the thread is to be closed.

Great work guys.

So a score of high posters and a site owner refuse to entertain interesting solutions to encorperate the views of individuals who do not wish to directly comment.

Great work guys.

Yes.

It's called 'not getting your way'. I think you may have some issues with this. Bernhard can do what he likes - whether or not we support it.

We've actually engaged in a discussion in this thread - at least some of us have. I've tried to be balanced on the issue and give good reasons why I don't think it would work but I haven't actually seen any real discussion from yourself.

So I'll ask again. Why do you think it would be a good idea? How do you think 'likes' would add to a constructive discussion?

Once again, I'll repeat. This is a discussion forum. I do not think 'like' constitutes a discussion. Posters have plenty of opportunity to vote on threads as it is.

Great work guys.

Interesting solutions? You might think it's an interesting one, no everyone seems to agree with you.

You've made your points ...and requests, in all fairness, it sounds like it's not going to happen, no need for feeling bad or upset for not getting what you want were you (like us) are simply a (welcome) guest in Bernhard's place.

Yes, great work indeed, this thread had is fair share of attention, but the topic is getting old and seems to stagnate on the same old arguments over and over, time to call it a day, no bad feeling, you tried, you suggested, it didn't take on, such is life.

Great work guys.

Would you like some cheese with that wine?

Too much?

Do you now want to click on a "dislike" button, or do you want to discuss it? Just curious.

Crap. As for the 'high posters' - their post count doesn't matter - and what is more important than post count is post quality, and in this respect the people contributing to this discussion are doing fine! Once you're a regular member you can contribute on this forum. Post count = irrelevant. Now you know - in case you didn't know before. And what the other members were doing is simply stating their views - like you did. Nothing wrong with that.

As for 'interesting solutions'... I disagree. Interesting it might get depending on what a discussion is bringing forward, not by a few individuals clicking e.g. 'like' buttons. That's not a contribution, that's laziness.

And if they don't wish to directly comment - they're free not to comment. But seriously, what's the problem dropping a few words or maybe 1-2 sentences about either agreement or disagreement with something? Heck, this would even give you a chance to state the 'why'. And it takes... lemme guess - a few seconds. Is that hard work? Ok, harder than on facebook... But this isn't facebook.

Closed thread = no discussion. And a forum is to provide discussions. So where's the (your) logic?
Don't want a discussion but wanna press 'like' buttons? -> facebook has this, go there.

Imagine you're the site owner/forum founder. Imagine a few members bring up some suggestions. Imagine the forum founder gives them a go and thinks it over. Imagine he comes to the conclusion that this is nonsense/unnecessary and the matter is settled for him. Imagine those few that brought the suggestions forward start crying like offended children and post ironic/sarcastic replies.

1) Would the founder care?
2) Would this draw a beneficial impression of those complaining?

Great work guys.
Although I haven't been involved in this thread too much, I get the impression that the majority of members believe such a feature to be counter productive in terms of encouraging discussion/exchange of views. That's not a "high post count cliche", it just is. I don't understand why you'd be upset at some expressing a view that's counter to yours.

Like buttons or as they are often called "Thank" buttons work well on other forums I frequent. I feel they would make a good addition.

They're usually used if you agree with another poster or want to thank them for advice given. Also if you find their comments humorous. They don't kill discussion by the way, that's just not true at all.

That's a different system though, Souljacker. The system that the original poster idealised is one that allows a 'Like' to constitute an entire post. A reputation system I have fewer issues with, a system that purely 'Likes' a particular post is a different thing all together and one that I am opposed to on discussion forums.

I'm all for a "Like" button!

It's a way to show that you appreciate what somebody shared without actually having to reply. Never really could figure out why some people so vehemently oppose it.

That's a different system though, Souljacker. The system that the original poster idealised is one that allows a 'Like' to constitute an entire post. A reputation system I have fewer issues with, a system that purely 'Likes' a particular post is a different thing all together and one that I am opposed to on discussion forums.

I'm confused here. How can a like constitute a post? It's just thanking a post. What are your reasons for opposing it?

Back