Does anyone have this Gibraltar throne?

Mike Stand

Silver Member
Actually, I'm just interested in the throne base. I already have the double braced version and want to know if anyone has experience with this single braced one.

I'm trying to cut down the weight in my hardware case and would like to know how much this throne base weighs. Also, is it as reliable as the double braced version which I've had for many years?

B9708_sm.jpg

The thickness of the legs is pretty good, so I'd say it'd be pretty sturdy.
Probably not "standing on it" sturdy, but for regular use probably enough.
The rounded rubber feet pictured are also nice. I liked them on the cymbal stands I had, so I got some for the seat base I was using (instead of the fat, flat type) back then. Never had an issue with them.

I would see if they have a weight listed for this somewhere before you plunk down any money though. Sometimes Gibraltar lists that.
There might not bee that much weight difference.
I'm all for lightening the load myself, but, if it's only 2 lbs or something like that, it might not be worth the change in seats.

I would see if they have a weight listed for this somewhere before you plunk down any money though. Sometimes Gibraltar lists that.
There might not bee that much weight difference.
I'm all for lightening the load myself, but, if it's only 2 lbs or something like that, it might not be worth the change in seats.

Well, yes, the difference in weight is likely to be very small. However, I'm also replacing all may stands. I calculated that I could lose several kg/lbs of weight by replacing my stands with lighter, straight Yamaha stands. It all adds up. I just haven't found the weight for this Gibraltar throne base yet.

I use a Carmichael throne top but still have the original Gibraltar top. So I'd be able to sell the double braced throne with the top, probably at a good price, which would part finance the single braced base.

My back is practically begging me to eliminate as much weight as possible from the hardware case.

Well, yes, the difference in weight is likely to be very small. However, I'm also replacing all may stands. I calculated that I could lose several kg/lbs of weight by replacing my stands with lighter, straight Yamaha stands. It all adds up. I just haven't found the weight for this Gibraltar throne base yet.

I use a Carmichael throne top but still have the original Gibraltar top. So I'd be able to sell the double braced throne with the top, probably at a good price, which would part finance the single braced base.

My back is practically begging me to eliminate as much weight as possible from the hardware case.

The CARMICHAEL top is heavy, mine weighs in at 8lbs, as a comparison a TAMA ERGO weighs 10.57lbs and that's the top and the base. But who cares the CARMICHAEL is sooo worth the extra weight.

This was mentioned b/f, the spindle is a big part of the weight on those types of throne bases. Cutting the spindle has its drawbacks, resale is diminished, you're stuck in that height range etc. Tho if you can live with it, cutting the spindle down is a substantial weight saving option.

Just to help, Amazon (most of the time) tells you the weight of the thrones as a whole.

That spindly thing is where the weight is. I think Gibraltar's lightest seat is only 7 pounds, whereas the spindly ones are going to be at least 10. The double braced spindle one is 16 pounds!

Just to help, Amazon (most of the time) tells you the weight of the thrones as a whole.

That spindly thing is where the weight is. I think Gibraltar's lightest seat is only 7 pounds, whereas the spindly ones are going to be at least 10. The double braced spindle one is 16 pounds!

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought of checking Amazon.

They have the weight listed for this single braced Gibraltar throne base as 7,4lbs. However, I think they round up the weight to include packaging. I noticed that the weight listed for other stuff I own is more than the actual weight of the item in question (a Yamaha cymbal stand for example).

As for the spindle, you'd be surprised. It doesn't account for that much weight as one might think. I unscrewed mine and weighed it to see if it was worth cutting off 30%-35% of the length. Turns out I would have reduced it's weight by only 200gramms maximum.

I don't have the exact figures, I think I posted them already on another thread about the Carmichael throne.

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought of checking Amazon.

They have the weight listed for this single braced Gibraltar throne base as 7,4lbs. However, I think they round up the weight to include packaging. I noticed that the weight listed for other stuff I own is more than the actual weight of the item in question (a Yamaha cymbal stand for example).

As for the spindle, you'd be surprised. It doesn't account for that much weight as one might think. I unscrewed mine and weighed it to see if it was worth cutting off 30%-35% of the length. Turns out I would have reduced it's weight by only 200gramms maximum.

I don't have the exact figures, I think I posted them already on another thread about the Carmichael throne.

You gotta take it where you can get it, 200 grams is 200 grams.

You could look at the Yamaha DS 550 throne. I just picked one from flea bay for $38 and whittled over three pounds from the kit. No negatives to report after about ten hours of use.

Lightening of the hardware bag is one of my objectives. I have also one of the 600 series single braced straight stands from Yamaha supporting two cymbals, and it works perfectly.

You could look at the Yamaha DS 550 throne. I just picked one from flea bay for $38 and whittled over three pounds from the kit. No negatives to report after about ten hours of use.

Lightening of the hardware bag is one of my objectives. I have also one of the 600 series single braced straight stands from Yamaha supporting two cymbals, and it works perfectly.

If I were to take a risk with a super light throne, it would certainly be a Yamaha. I'm always impressed by how they get the balance right between weight, solid build, design and functionality.

However, I need a throne that my Carmichael seat top can fit on, basically a spindle model. I've had my Gibraltar throne for 15 years and it's indestructible so I'm going to order the single braced version. The reduction in weight will be minimal, but like Les said, you gotta take it where you can get it.

Well, I just got this throne base and the first thing I did was weigh it.

It weighs 3120g, that's 620g lighter than the double braced version!

In every other aspect it looks almost identical to the double braced one. Even the spindle appears to be the same length. I really didn't think that there would be such a big difference in weight between the two. All the better I suppose. I reckon Gibraltar must have saved some weight on other parts besides the legs but it's not obvious where.

Anyway, it's still a good, solid throne base, typical Gibraltar. Also, it takes up less space in my hardware case which means I can now fit everything into my new, smaller case.

I'm rather glad to put a conclusive end to this thread. Drum throne base discussions really aren't very exciting are they? But, if it helped just one person, I suppose it might have been worthwhile.

The quest for lighter hardware continues...

Back