My new Mapex Saturn!

Hi guys, been a very long time since I posted in here with my cheap starter kit, however I have been jealously stalking all of these threads looking at people's lovely gear!

As I've got into a band at university and we started gigging, I felt compelled to save up for a new kit that could withstand some shows (I'm a hard hitter) and also sound amazing at the same time. I was looking for a mid-range kit with an undrilled kick, and so browsed the new Mapex Meridian Maple and Yamaha Rock Tour series. However, I saw on a website of a drum shop relatively near me that they were selling a three piece Mapex Saturn shell pack for a reduced rate due to what they described as 'cosmetic blemishes'. The opportunity to buy some professional level gear, with what is essentially my dream finish, was too much to resist and I leapt for it, despite it being slightly out of my price range (God bless summer jobs!)

So without any further ado, may I introduce my Mapex Saturn kit in Blue Galaxy Burst finish!

20x16 kick
12x9 tom
14x12 floor tom
14x6.5 Mapex MPX Hammered Steel Snare

13'' Sabian Pro Fusion Hats
16'' Sabian AAX Stage Crash
18'' Sabian XS20 Medium Thin Crash
20'' Meinl MCS Ride
18'' Zildjian A Custom China

SAM_1384-Copy.jpg

SAM_1386-Copy.jpg

SAM_1388-Copy.jpg

SAM_1389-Copy.jpg

SAM_1409.jpg

SAM_1398-Copy.jpg

Last edited:
From a fellow Saturn owner, Very Very Nice she looks beautiful and we know how she sounds.... Man ya just cannot beat the look of the walnut interior eh? It even smells yummy.Congrats!

Veyr cool kit! and that is a really nice finish (I say that right?) hehe sorry for my english I'm from Mexico ^_^U

Is that a Zildjian china cymbal?

Yep, correct English there! Still feel so lucky to have got a deal with them, I have to pinch myself every time I sit behind them! And yep, the china is an 18'' Oriental, went against my preferred brand as in my opinion it's better than anything Sabian has put out- so much more trashy and well bodied!

Also I was lucky enough to find an AAX 20'' Stage Ride on Ebay. It arrived today!
2012-08-14183952.jpg

Lovely kit, hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine. I just picked up my new 14x12 floor tom today to go with my original 8,10,12,16 in a 3 up, 2 down configuration, and to allow me to create a little kit, using my 16 as a bass drum with 10 and 14 for small, accoustic gigs.

beautiful kit and love the finish! I hope to join the Mapex family soon, maybe even this weekend!

Hey, congrats on a beautiful, professional kit!!! Lovely finish, absolutely stunning!!! Would love to hear a sound clip!

Great looking kit! How do you like that snare drum?

Thank you! The snare sounds really good for the money (under £100). I put the Controlled Sound black dot head, along with moon gel, on it to fatten up the sound a bit. So while it sounds pretty snappy, it's pretty beefy as well!

Man that looks really sharp as a 3 piece and especially in a 1 up 1 down config from out front. Always loved that blue finish. Really just incredible finishes by Mapex on a majority of their drums. Your setup is really making me want to go get stands and to set up my X7 in a 1 up 1 down config. Just love the aesthetics of it and how it feels to play a 1 up 1 down config.

Nice add-on with the BP Cherry Bomb as well. I was looking at that series of snares a few days ago. I bet it cracks like nobody's business lol. Also are you sure it's a 16" deep bass drum? Looks a lot like it's an 18".

Last edited:
You wouldn't happen to be a Chad Smith fan, now would ya?

Nice kit you've got there; that snare's finish is beautiful!

Nice add-on with the BP Cherry Bomb as well. I was looking at that series of snares a few days ago. I bet it cracks like nobody's business lol. Also are you sure it's a 16" deep bass drum? Looks a lot like it's an 18".

My bad it is an 18", well spotted!

You wouldn't happen to be a Chad Smith fan, now would ya?

How did you guess?! Just need some octobans on the left hand side now! haha

I love my Cherry Bomb! It sounds nice and warm, whilst also being incredibly responsive and great for rim shots. So glad I did a bit of research and took the time to find exactly what I was looking for!

Back