Votes: 34 6.6%
  • Semi-Pro - I have another job and I play my drums for money

Votes: 196 38.0%
  • Hobbyist - I play my drums strictly for my own enjoyment

Votes: 250 48.4%
  • Student- Pro - I'm in school but I still play gigs

Votes: 36 7.0%

• Total voters
I am a 3, waaaaayyyyyyyyyyy to tired after my day job and have too much other stuff to do. And the poll does not work.

KIS, we've had a few personnel changes throughout the years! That's the secret to keeping the peace. Refreshingly, everyone checks their egos at the door and we play for the love of music, even if we're only a cover band. Hell, I'd do it for free, but don't tell my wife that!

Just so you know, I'm the "baby" of the band at 47 years old...
That's great to hear, & at 47, you've got life in those limbs yet :) My band is excessive egoless too. I highlight "excessive", because we all need a bit of an ego to get on that stage & feed off the crowd. As long as you keep it in check, you're good to go.

I don't consider myself a professional. I'm a Charlie Watts, with no real desire to be a Neil Peart. Just a clock with a soul, is all I am. But I get work here and there. No enough to pay bills. I have a two year old daughter, and my wife is a teacher, so I spend most of my time at home raising my kid.I have a friend who works for a local moving company, and whenever they need an extra pair of hands (often) I get paid a good chunk of cash for helping them.

I'm a work in progress. I want to make a living (not get rich) playing drums. I realized when I was 16 that it's what I was suppose to do. It's just a matter of making the right connections.

Wow! Now that's impressive, & without killing the guitarist or singer? Unheard of!!!!!

To be fair Andy, no one said there hadn't been any deaths!

I'm a social worker by trade and as such, can't hit anything in my day job, so I'm a number 2. Ooooh, that doesn't sound good ;0)

Was a 1 for a few years in the 80's but now I'm nothing but number two lol.

Same here; and thoroughly enjoying it. The pressures and tolls, financial and familial, that playing for a living take on you is unbelieveable.

There is no way I'd earn (Or have the time off) what I do through music unless I was either in a moderately successful international act, or I managed a very successful international act as I now do. I know money can't buy happiness, but it does help.

But I still get to play and gig, and although the audiences vary from 15-20 to 2000-2500, the buzz is still there.

Another 2 here. Realistically, not good enough to be a 1. Actually, I am grateful that I am lucky enough to play in two bands and get to gig almost every weekend. The little money I make from music just pays for my modest gear purchases.

Was a 1 when I was single and could afford to live on a low salary with no benefits (no financial benefits to be more precise).

Got married, had a kid, the digital world murdered the studio work, and the recession hit here in the states.

Now a 2 and much happier.

just curious, why does it say "you may not vote on this poll"? Am i a bad guy?

The polls on this site say that to everyone, its an ongoing issue. I'm a 2 by the way!

There I go again, posting in a thread so old I didn't realise I had already posted...

Student-Pro. I don't play out much during school too busy, mainly spring and summers.

A solid 2 and loving it....although if I didn't really enjoy it, I would gladly step it back to being a 3. I feel lucky to be in this situation.
Neal

I was a 2 for a while in the late 70s early 80s. Stopped playing for nearly 3 decades. Now I am a 3 hopefully on my way to a very part ime number 2 again. This was the main thing in my bucket list and I finally took the plunge again and bought some drums about three months ago. It is AMAZING to sit behind drums again!!!!!!!!

I guess semi-pro, although I'm not making a profit from playing music. I hope that I will one day, but I'm not in it for the money.

Back