Aquarian drumhead help

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I can't get the info I need from the website, so I thought I'd ask here.

I am going Aquarian for the first time ever, I got my classic clears for the toms, and I will continue with them in the future. I am trying their snare batter heads now but I am confused at the makeup of some heads. From what I gather, the Aquarian equivalent of a Coated Emp is either a Performance II, a Response 2, or a Super 2. That's as narrowed down as I can get.
I want a coated head that has 2 - 7 or 7.5 mil plys. They don't give ply thickness info here and I wanted to know if anyone knew the facts here. Aquarian is closed today, I tried calling. Thanks in advance for any info.

From Aquarian website:

Performance II
A clear, two ply head manufactured with Aquarian’s Vacuum Process™ which eliminates air bubbles and wrinkles between the two plies. Remember that big, fat, low tom tom sound you heard on the classic rock and roll records? The sound that you could never get on your own? Now you can! Performance II™ drumheads were designed for “loose” tuning to get the depth and punch with no “over-ring”. This drumhead is sealed around the edge to create that really deep sound on the tom toms.

Response 2
A clear, two ply head manufactured with Aquarian’s Vacuum Process™ which eliminates air bubbles and wrinkles between the two plies. Full sound, great attack and consistent tone from drum to drum.

Super 2 - A new kind of 2 ply head
They have great attack, projection and depth unlike any other drumheads. The patented Safe-T-Loc hoop prevents the head from slipping and the Sound Curve collar design provides "Responsive Tuning." With Responsive Tuning, one turn of the drum key and Super-2™ heads react

The Response II is the Emperor/G2 equivalent, according to Aquarian's handy guide:

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/products/drumhead-guide-comparison

I agree it can be a little hard to decipher exactly what a particular model's spec's are, especially since they don't give up ply thickness info clearly in all of their descriptions. Honestly, that was my biggest stumbling block in getting into Aquarian for the longest time. Now I'm really glad I tried a little harder and started experimenting, 'cause I'm in love with all of the heads I've tried.

Thanks Winston. I missed that. That page is still inconsistent though. Some heads it tells you the ply mils, others it doesn't. I think that info is CRITICAL. I need to fire off an email calling them out them for confusing me so much.

OK so the Response 2 is my head, although the Super 2 sounds interesting as well. Thanks again.

I do believe I am a convert. Lower price, higher durability and just as good if not better tone than the other 2.

Edit: Just sent this email to Aquarian:

To whom it may concern:

Please, on all drumhead descriptions, drummers NEED to know how many mils your plies are. A 2 ply head in not enough info, sorry. Give me all the details you know. I love your products but don't think I should have to dig real deep to get basic construction details of your individual heads. That info should be the very first thing you list on your description. One page you have...it's inconsistent. Some descriptions tell you the ply thickness, others don't. Why not? Specifically, I wanted to know the individual ply thickness of the Response and the Performance series. You listed the Super series details, why not those? Hey, I'm on your side, I'm just trying to help you. It's a turn off when I have to go through all this for basic info that should be listed front and center. I know I'm not the only one who has this issue with your lack of detailed product info.

Thanks,
Larry Hinkel

Last edited:
I agree, the inconsistency in head descriptions drives me crazy too. I think there's definitely an old school attitude at work when it comes to giving specifications that reminds me of Ludwig's old "select hardwoods" shell description. With today's level of marketing information where EVERYTHING is spec'd out to an insane degree it seems really odd Aquarian is still so vague about some respects.

Thanks Winston. I missed that. That page is still inconsistent though. Some heads it tells you the ply mils, others it doesn't. I think that info is CRITICAL. I need to fire off an email calling them out them for confusing me so much.

Agreed. Remo has a few heads that don't give you the ply thickness or what kind of tone you should expect as well. I think all three major head company's have that issue on their site to some degree, it really does make you angry at times lol.

Ha! Nope, I've never noticed that before.

I guess that clears up everything except why that info isn't included on the description page for the individual head.

Whoops I should apologize to Roy. Still, that info should be in the product info.

Whoops I should apologize to Roy. Still, that info should be in the product info.

I've never seen that page before either, and I've looked for info on plies, etc, in the past as well. And the page with the Evans/Remo comparisons I can only find through google, not through their site. Wouldn't even know about the comparison page if I hadn't read about it here.

Here's another complaint: a number of the heads which they list only as snare or tom heads are available as bass heads as well! Response 2 and Studio-X to name a couple. So if I want to see what options they have for bass drums I have to hunt through every product they have?

Must admit, quite liking the Super II sample in comparison to others. Problem with those samples though, close mic'd & EQ'd to hell = freakin' useless. GIVE ME HONEST RECORDINGS PLEASE!!!! I want to know what it sounds like, not what you can make it sound like. If you must offer me processed recordings, at least give me a choice :(

Must admit, quite liking the Super II sample in comparison to others. Problem with those samples though, close mic'd & EQ'd to hell = freakin' useless. GIVE ME HONEST RECORDINGS PLEASE!!!! I want to know what it sounds like, not what you can make it sound like. If you must offer me processed recordings, at least give me a choice :(

The trouble is that the majority of people listening to those bites want that exact sound which they usually never get anyway. It the best, sometimes the most, processed sounds that get the worm or in this case the buyer. Unfortunately this is not what you get in real life. You may or may not believe what unprocessed music sounds like in reality. I feel that there is way too much knob twisting done in the studio, but this is what many people now perceive as the norm.

Dennis

The trouble is that the majority of people listening to those bites want that exact sound which they usually never get anyway. It the best, sometimes the most, processed sounds that get the worm or in this case the buyer. Unfortunately this is not what you get in real life. You may or may not believe what unprocessed music sounds like in reality. I feel that there is way too much knob twisting done in the studio, but this is what many people now perceive as the norm.

Dennis
Agreed Dennis, & that's a shame. Even some of the drum companies demos are designed to look like it's a handicam recording, whereas in reality, there's a ton of mic technology just out of shot. I recently visited a studio that was engaged to shoot such a drum demo recording. They went to the extent of using out of shot rifle mic's (effectively, remote "close" mic'ing), as well as some snazzy room & boundry mic technology. The whole lot then went through some very clever mastering tools. The finished result was a miraculous sound when compared to the visual representation. They even introduced a degree of camera shake & poor editing to reinforce the amateur vibe they wanted.

I'll be arranging recordings of our new series drums. I may well split the recording to offer both unprocessed room sound & studio treatment versions. I can't swim against the tide, but I can at least be honest about how we're representing our instruments.

Agreed Dennis, & that's a shame. Even some of the drum companies demos are designed to look like it's a handicam recording, whereas in reality, there's a ton of mic technology just out of shot. I recently visited a studio that was engaged to shoot such a drum demo recording. They went to the extent of using out of shot rifle mic's (effectively, remote "close" mic'ing), as well as some snazzy room & boundry mic technology. The whole lot then went through some very clever mastering tools. The finished result was a miraculous sound when compared to the visual representation. They even introduced a degree of camera shake & poor editing to reinforce the amateur vibe they wanted.

I'll be arranging recordings of our new series drums. I may well split the recording to offer both unprocessed room sound & studio treatment versions. I can't swim against the tide, but I can at least be honest about how we're representing our instruments.

You'd probably be shot if you did that to a violin. Don't get me wrong, people do record violins like that - absolutely - but it's frowned on very deeply by some purists.

EDIT: Odd perhaps that drummers tend to lack that attitude?

Last edited:
I love Aquarian heads, but I agree their website leaves a lot to be desired.

My next purchase is probably going to be Super-2 Series.

Yea the Super 2's sound intriguing. I should know by now that I like single plys on toms. The 2 ply heads sound better to me on the toms, but worse to my recorder, and the single plys sound fine to me and fine to the recorder. Still I will probably get a set, you never know.

Yea the Super 2's sound intriguing. I should know by now that I like single plys on toms. The 2 ply heads sound better to me on the toms, but worse to my recorder, and the single plys sound fine to me and fine to the recorder. Still I will probably get a set, you never know.

I picked up a set of Super 2's and put 'em on my DW.

They sound closer to a single ply Ambassador, with a hint of double ply emperor tone.

Over, my drums have never sounded better.

I am really curious as to how long they last. Hopefully, closer to typical double ply then single ply.

Back