Pedal Newbie

wsabol

Gold Member
Hey. I'm an experienced drummer, but I've always just played the pedal I've had. So I don't really know what to look/feel for in a new pedal. I'm getting a new kit, and I want to get a better pedal because I'm not getting what I need out of mine. My current one is a crappy Mapex thing. Its slow and falling apart.

I'm a jazz guy and mostly a heel down player, and I let the beater rebound rather than pushing it into the head. I'm looking for something that will rebound with the beater easily and stick to my foot, so its easier to play fast doubles or something. I'm also dabbling in heel-toe stuff.

From the research I've done, I'm thinking direct drive, maybe extended foot board. But thats all I can figure..I'm just shooting in the dark. I have money to spend, but I would rather spend it on something I know will work, rather than to just try stuff out.

Recommendations. Go.

Hi, when people do start replying their going to tell you you have to try different pedals and get whats best for you. This is good advice because whats good for one isn't exactly good for another, thats why there are so many pedals on the market.

I do have a couple suggestions; if you want good rebound, try an iron cobra or iron cobra jr. with the cobra spring. Also if you are looking for direct drive, Mapex has a new pedal coming out next month called the raptor, it has a lot of folks excited to try it. Other than that go to guitar center and try a bunch out.

I think the Trick direct drive is amazing. I have the regular, not the longboard. I play heel down, mostly jazz. The thing is beautifully engineered and produced. Plus, it's very easy to adjust. You should give it a try.

Recommendations. Go.

All of the usual suspects that appear in every one of these threads.

Direct Drives: Axis, Trick, Pearl Demon Drive, Yammie 9500, Gibraltar Intruder,

Chain or strap: Pearl Eliminator, Tama IC & IC jnr, DW9000 & 5000, Yammie (9000??).

Plus there's many, many more that I can't recall off the top of my head.

I have money to spend, but I would rather spend it on something I know will work, rather than to just try stuff out.

I get your point, but isn't it a little backward? How can you know what will work for YOU unless you try them out? There's as many pedals as there are feet to play them mate. Unless you get your feet on a few of them you're never gonna know what you like.

I get your point, but isn't it a little backward? How can you know what will work for YOU unless you try them out? There's as many pedals as there are feet to play them mate. Unless you get your feet on a few of them you're never gonna know what you like.

I know whats best for me is just to buy some and try it out, but then I have to worry about resale value, and returns, and all this crap that I wish didn't go hand in hand with process of elimination.

I think the Trick direct drive is amazing

I think I may start with this guy, or a Yammie

Being the experienced drummer that you are, I shouldn't have to reiterate how important it is for you to personally check each pedal that you're interested in. There are many minute and not so minute differences in the types of drives and construction of each and every pedal. I tried pedals for more than two months before I made up my mind and bought my Trick Pro 1 V. I have or played just about every pedal mentioned in this thread and no two are alike.

Dennis

Being the experienced drummer that you are, I shouldn't have to reiterate how important it is for you to personally check each pedal that you're interested in. There are many minute and not so minute differences in the types of drives and construction of each and every pedal. I tried pedals for more than two months before I made up my mind and bought my Trick Pro 1 V. I have or played just about every pedal mentioned in this thread and no two are alike.

Dennis

I've probably tried every pedal out there too. I made them all feel like a DW5000..... ;)

Well if you're doing heel-toe stuff, you're probably going to want a longboard. So we got Axis, Trick, or Tama Speed Cobra. The SPeed Cobra has pretty good rebound, but it's chain, so if you want direct you'll have to go with an axis or trick.

These pedals don't come cheap, the axis single pedal longboard is $180 and the trick is $385. I've heard good things about both. You're probably not going to want to make this big of a purchase without trying them out. I'd try both of these out, and see which you like better. If you don't like either of them, maye consider a chain drive like the speed cobra.

Back