snare lug grease

cgl5432

What should I use to grease up my lugs on my snare? because some of my lugs are much more stiff than others and are not able to turn...

I would take the snare apart and clean all the threads first. When I do it I soak the tension rods and receivers in lacquer thinner for a while. this help clean out any built up gunk.
I then put a small amount of Vaseline on in the receivers at the top where the tension rod enters them. This ensures the lubricant will spread over the threads and will not get all over your drum.

I would take the snare apart and clean all the threads first. When I do it I soak the tension rods and receivers in lacquer thinner for a while. this help clean out any built up gunk.
I then put a small amount of Vaseline on in the receivers at the top where the tension rod enters them. This ensures the lubricant will spread over the threads and will not get all over your drum.

I second this completely. In my opinion, this is the ideal way to deal with this problem.

I use a graphite grease. The stuff I have is sold for lubricating the fine threads of screw-in choke tubes for shotguns, which are easily 2x-3x finer than drum lugs.

Any sporting goods store will have it, and it works like a charm. It's about the same consistency as Vaseline, and comes in a small tube, perfect for pinpoint placement.

A small dab on the receiver or first two threads of the rod and you're good to go. No mess, no evaporation/displacement, super smooth tuning, lasts forever. I use it on all my lugs.

Cheers!

Cleaning them before any lube is the way to go. And whatever light grease you choose, use it sparingly. Not much is required.

i have powder coated hardware on my snare. can i still do this?

Hhmmm powder coat. That must look really nice!

I'd would be cautious of sumberging Powder Coated items in a Thinner or other liquid chemical. Here's why.....

First dont get me wrong I like PC process, and I really like the end result, I am merely pointing out what "could" go wrong.

IF/When PC fails it will either chip, or crack, and these two things can be big or very small, sometimes so small you can't see them, or they get missed. If you submerge it in lets say Thinner, the thinner will get in the chip or crack and work its way under the other coated areas. Eventually "spreading" the chip or crack.

I don't claim to be an expert in PC or a chemist, this is just something I have observed in another application of PC. IE: gasoline spilled on a motorcycle gas tank that was PC'ed. Sometimes it just ate right through it, other times I have seen it cause small chips to grow into big chips.

just my 2cents.

Question: Your Rods and the threaded throat aren't PC'ed are they? I mean the threads, surely they would not be PC'ed right?

Well even if they are, instead of submerging them in the liquid I would take a cloth with thinner on it (or some cleaner) and press the cloth into the threads with, like your thumbnail or something then "screw or unscrew" the rod which will run the cloth through all the threads.

or perhaps the PC you have on your hardware is much stronger than I am giving credit for, and the other method would work. Just something to think about I guess.

I would agree, I am just speculating but if the tinner were to get under the powder-coating it may cause a problem. I doubt the receivers are powder-coated, are they?

I use a graphite grease. The stuff I have is sold for lubricating the fine threads of screw-in choke tubes for shotguns, which are easily 2x-3x finer than drum lugs.

Gun care products work great on drums. I just happen to have a life time supply of the stuff.

Here's another great product that works well on chrome and drum finishes.

Attachments

• birchwood casey.jpg
    birchwood casey.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 3,167
I use a white lithium grease, like you get at auto parts stores. Comes in a tube.

Back