Which double bass pedal? (Pearl?)

Girlgerms

Hey guys, I am allowed to get a double bass pedal for Christmas, and was thinking of getting a Pearl one. But I'm confused, what one do I get? I mean, I looked up Pearl double bass pedals, and they have "RF" or "LF" and other things. What one do I get?

RF and LF just mean Right-Footed and Left-Footed. Just pick a budget and stick to it. If you want a cheap one but good quality, check out Sonor and the Pearl Power-shifter models, if you want a more expensive one, try the Pearl Eliminators or Tama Iron Cobras. Just all depends how much you want to spend. I recommend investing in a slightly cheaper one to start off with, as double bass playing is not to everyone's taste and/or patience. There's LOADS of threads already on this forum regarding this topic...surely. Please use the search function.

Good luck.

I absolutely love my iron cobras, just tighten down the spring for extra rebound and a little playing time to get used to it and they are GG

I have tried almost every Pedal in the book. When I started Drumming I was thinking about getting a Pearl pedal but after playing it in guitar center I decided against it. It all depends on how much you want to pay. My personal favorit pedal is the Axis Longboard because they are increadable pedals and the longer foot board alows for heal to toe techniques to be much smoother. The disadvantage is its expensive. DW makes a whole great ling of pedals. The best obviously being the 9000 but its also the most expensive. The DW 7000 is a realy good pedal that is a little less expensive and then inbetween the 7000 and the 9000 is the 5000. All realy great pedals that i would recomend. Iorn Cobras are also nice pedals and extreamy durable but I dont like the way they feel as much as the Axis or DW pedals. Of course what some people would consider the best pedal on the market would be the Trick Bigfoot...

(http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Trick-Big-Foot-Single-Pedal?sku=482298)

...try not to druel on the keyboard. This also hapens to be the most expensive pedal out there. Good luck looking for a pedal I hoped this helped.
I recomend trying the pedal to see how it feels before you buy it.

I have tried almost every Pedal in the book. When I started Drumming I was thinking about getting a Pearl pedal but after playing it in guitar center I decided against it. It all depends on how much you want to pay. My personal favorit pedal is the Axis Longboard because they are increadable pedals and the longer foot board alows for heal to toe techniques to be much smoother. The disadvantage is its expensive. DW makes a whole great ling of pedals. The best obviously being the 9000 but its also the most expensive. The DW 7000 is a realy good pedal that is a little less expensive and then inbetween the 7000 and the 9000 is the 5000. All realy great pedals that i would recomend. Iorn Cobras are also nice pedals and extreamy durable but I dont like the way they feel as much as the Axis or DW pedals. Of course what some people would consider the best pedal on the market would be the Trick Bigfoot...

(http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Trick-Big-Foot-Single-Pedal?sku=482298)

...try not to druel on the keyboard. This also hapens to be the most expensive pedal out there. Good luck looking for a pedal I hoped this helped.
I recomend trying the pedal to see how it feels before you buy it.

Id just like to add sry about that link. I noticed after you were looking for a double bass pedal. Not to worry all the pedals I mentioned also come as double bass including the one that I sent the link of.

Thanks for advice. Sorry to ask a dumb question, but do I buy a "right footed" or "left footed" double bass pedal? When I play with a single pedal, I play it with my right foot, so does this mean I ought to get a RF double bass pedal? I'm confused.

Thanks for advice. Sorry to ask a dumb question, but do I buy a "right footed" or "left footed" double bass pedal? When I play with a single pedal, I play it with my right foot, so does this mean I ought to get a RF double bass pedal? I'm confused.

What do you think, sir? :)

Ok, heres my 2 cents.
Please don't go out and buy a bad or intermediate pedal. I have had 2 different intermediate pedals and they have both not done me any justice. If you actually want to improve your double bass, I recommend buying one of the "big three". They are...

1. Tama Powerglide Iron Cobra Twin Pedal- This is the one I own. It is great. It has a heavier feel than the other 2, but that can be easily fixed if you want to adjust it. It is a really great pedal and it is no wonder that many top players use them.

2. DW 5000s- Just because it says DW on it does not mean it's that good. I personally think this is the worst of the big three. It has too many nuts and bolts and screws that would scare a first time double basses out of his witts. Personally, I do not think this is a great pedal for you, unless you go out and try it and love it. Not too many pros are fond of it.

3. Pearl Powershift Eliminators- Great Pedals, the feel is very similar to IC's in my opinion. These are good if you really like the Pearl name. They live up to their reputation no doubt.

All in all, those are REALLY good for the money. If you have even more cash, go with Trick or Axis pedals, for those are even better. Take a while to choose which one suits you! Hope this helps!

-Connor

I started out with the Pearl Powershifter (non Eliminator) pedal and for the money its difficult to beat. If you are looking to spend a bit more, the Powershifter Eliminator is fantastic. I actually went to a drum clinic and saw Virgil Donati do amazing things with that pedal (although he could probably play just as well with others). The dw 8000 is another great pedal that I just recently tried out. Pretty close to the 9000 and you can save a few bucks. Good luck.

Thanks for advice. .... do I buy a "right footed" or "left footed" double bass pedal? When I play with a single pedal, I play it with my right foot, so does this mean I ought to get a RF double bass pedal?
Let's break it down for you, to help you understand, but short answer is gonna be "yes". If your right foot is playing kick drum, your left foot is on the hi-hat. So, put a double pedal into the equation, your "main" or "primary" pedal will still be your right foot. The left foot operates a "slave pedal", that is connected to a secondary beater via a drive shaft. This set-up still gives the right foot kick drum duty (full time), but now the left foot has a choice. Or a dual role. It still has the hi-hat and/or it can play "double-bass" via the slave pedal. Everyone has different preferences as far as make/model. If you can, first, know how much money you can spend. Then go to a drum shop/Guitar Center/etc. and get your feet on as many pedals as you can. No sense talking about $300-$600 dollar pedals if your budget is under $200.

If there is anything to make sure you get its a pedal that is driven by a double chain. Single chain double bass pedals will likely break within a year or two due to the stress it will be under. I have the DW7002 and its a phenomenal double bass pedal at a reasonable price and is very heavy duty and reliable. If your budget is $200 then try to just push the extra $50 bucks to get something double chain. You don't need your first pedal to be ridiculously expensive but it should be able to hold.

ill say this as i have said in a few pedal threads if you have a low budget but want a top pedal go for the bigdog pro you can get 1 for 120 pounds a top pedal with good looks from www.gak.co.uk

Well i've used Pearl P122TW which you can pick up for about £150. I know there not pro standard but i've been using them for awile now and very happy with them. I would love axis or something , but tbh im used to the Pearl P122TW doubles atm.

Big ups on the Pearl Powershifter Eliminator pedal. I would take an Eliminator any day over an Axis Longboard pedal (I own a pair of both) and that is saying a lot given the reputation that Axis has built up. For me, it comes down to feel. All of the top of the line pedals are built quite well. Most of them use similar materials and are pretty adjustable...

For the money, I think the Eliminator is the most adjustable on the market. The Trick pro1v pedal is probably the most adjustable but a hell of a lot more money too and harder to find. The Eliminator comes with 4 cams that can be swapped out in literally seconds, all coming with different feels. In fact, they're so easy to change you can do it between songs on a short live set.

I like the Iron Cobras and the DW5000 as well but of these, the Eliminator feels the lightest/least bulky.

Also, I have heard good things about Pearl holding up their end for people who have had problems with their pedals... in some cases, they will just send you a new one.

Back