Tama Speed Cobra Quality/Longevity??

ZGR8DCVER

Hello All,

I decided to start this thread for those playing the Tama Speed Cobra. I am curious what experiences we all are having regarding quality, adjustability, durability etc.. ; not feel, as we presumably already acquired these for their feel. I would like to hear from those who own and actively play this pedal, single or double. If you don't, cool, but please keep your opinions to yourself as I would really like to hear from active users.

Your thoughts are much appreciated and let's get a conversation on this going. Thanks and happy playing!

PS I do play the double version.

Got this great pedal a couple weeks ago. In just a few days, my speed improved by a lot, both with double bass and single strokes.

I got a loose med/tension on mine, with the slave pedal beater slightly closer to the bass than the main pedal.

I haven't experimented with the spring (adjusted at the bottom of the pedal) yet.
Does anyone know what this affects?

Got this great pedal a couple weeks ago. In just a few days, my speed improved by a lot, both with double bass and single strokes.

I got a loose/med tension on mine, with the slave pedal beater slightly closer to the bass than the main pedal.

I haven't experimented with the spring (adjusted at the bottom of the pedal) yet.
Does anyone know what this affects?

I purchased the SC's a couple of weeks ago. As you may know there are two issues that plague the pedal. One is the slave beater wobble and the other is the slave pedal has alot of play in the hinge. I played a set at my local GC and the hinge play was pretty extreme. I could move the front pedal about 1/4 of an inch side to side. Both these issues could become more prevelent as one puts more play time on them. Having said all this, I wouldn't trade them for anything else. I knew they had these issues before my purchase. I've been playing DW 9000's for awhile and the SC's feel way better to me. I will say that my 9000's have some significant hours behind them, alot of which were played with horrible technique, and they still play like brand new. Not a single loose hinge, bearing or anything.

BTW, the spring at the bottom is called the cobra coil. It's there to assist the pedal board to return to the up position.

@kekoa68

I am right there with you, on all fronts. I wasn't previously aware of the issues you mentioned, however, I have defiantly noticed them. Perhaps due to the weaknesses of the slave, I have noticed that the chain on the slave is not pulling completely strait; something I can remedy and most likely due to the issues with the overall "play" in the slave. I too fear for the longevity as my DW is built better. As you mentioned, the "feel" is the best I have played so far. That said, I have never laid my feet upon an Axis, Trick or Sonor pedal; something I would love to do.

Keep the Thoughts Comin'! And Happy Drummin'!

One more question does anyone use the "Cobra Coil"? If so whats your setting and how has it helped or dis-serviced you?

Yeah, love mine and have noticed an improvement in my speed..haven't noticed any of the problems mentioned but will now look for them...I have my tension set the same way as most said med-loose with pedals close to even...I did adjust the coils as far back as they would go to get as much spring as possible...not 100% sold these springs actually do much other then it looks like a good idea..

I just wanted to mention there is a fix for the beater wobble. Apparently you slide the beater assembly to the side and there are two allen scews you need to tighten. There's a video on you tube. I have noticed that my slave beater has actually stiffened up since i purchased them. Braincramp, do you feel that moving the cobra coil makes it harder on the down stroke? I'm with you, it doesn't seem like the coil has enough tension to effectively make a difference. I too would like to here about some comparisons with the direct drives.

I have a single pedal that I have playing for about a month. I love the engineering and since I have a single pedal I have not had the issues mentioned.

The only "technical" issue I have with it is about the fastening clamp. On my set it rubs the head before it is all the way to the stop. This makes the pedal move to the side after time.

The other thing is that I have not found the "ultimate" setting for me yet. I have tried a lot of variations. Clear is that the default setting for the foot board angle is way to flat for me. It is almost like i want to have the pedal closer to the head if you know what I mean... And if i have the angle of the beater more to the head I don't get the momentum of the movement.

I know this is very personal, but I would like to know your settings compared to the default (longer mark) on the foot board and beater angle. As well as spring tension. Mine is increased foot board angle and beater angle to follow. And pretty much maxed out spring tension.

But overalll I like it, and the long foot boards is easy to slide on. It is just that sweet sweet adjustment I want to nail.

//Jörgen

@kekoa68
Thanks for the tip on the slave wobble fix. Much appreciated!

As far as the "Cobra Coil" I really don't care for it. It doesn't do a whole lot for me and it feels a bit strange; for now it will stay in the off (or as close too) position.

@Mr. Orange
I too have yet to get the right feel dialed in. The first problem I had was the main beater (stock settings) moving backwards as I was playing. I believe I mentioned, this led to a nice bruise on the top of my foot at the end of that night. Although I was afraid of striping the screw, I have since cranked that sucker down as tight as possible, alas no movement. But I am still searching for the "right feel"

Thanks to all whom are participating in this conversation and please keep your thoughts and tips coming!

As far as longevity goes i broke my spring yesterday : (

I could only get the harder version of the IC spring at my local shop. Wonder how it affects performance? I'll let you know if it is something dramatic. It is shorter and harder but I have used a pretty stiff setting previously so I guess it will work for me.

//Jörgen

Just playing I'm afraid. I guess it was an manufacturing error. It broke just where the 90 deg bend is for the last loop. (Hope you understand me, it is explaining things like this it shows that English is not my first language.)

//Jörgen

I'll add a photo...

Attachments

• Photo feb 14, 15 15 20.jpg
    Photo feb 14, 15 15 20.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 11,155
That's a heavy duty spring. The regular ones are thinner and have black coating.

I had the heavy springs and they also broke in this place (had all them tightened all the way down).

I've never seen spring steel break like that, it usually breaks clean/smooth.

What is that thing made of?

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 9,492
I tried these at the local drum store the other day. They are nice but there are a couple of things I've noticed about them.

To start with I know they are a long board pedal but Mr Orange mentioned about the footboard being too flat. That is exactly what I thought there wasn't much momentum or power coming from the stroke when I played it.

The cobra coil is an acquired taste I think, I'm still not sure about it everything just seems too bouncy with it and harder to make quick doubles and triplets. In fact I couldn't easily slide on it.

As for speed I don't think it is particularly faster than the normal Iron Cobra Power Glide.

I played a DW 9000 directly after it and that just felt much nicer and more rugged. I love that rugged feel that some pedals have and unfortunately the Speed Cobra doesn't have it.

It's definitely for people who like a lighter pedal though.

If it's a Tama, quality and longetivity shouldn't be an issue with them as they excel in the pedal market maybe the spring was defected in some way?

The only thing I don't really like about this pedal is the bass drum shell clamp. All I need is a simple clamp, I don't need 3 tightening screws, and the weird hanging clamp. Then the rubber protection got caught in the hanging clamp for several days. It was way bent and I had to super glue it back to the pedal. Then there were other issues with the tightening screws. I took the pedal off, and when I put it back on, it wouldn't tighten. Turns out you have to undo the wing nut, tighten the second screw, then go back and tighten the first one.

A simple clamp and screw will suffice, jeez...

Back