Chicago tourist

rootheart

a few years ago I travelled Chicago with my daughter..did not cost me anything, cause she is a scientist and had a budged for a presentation in Chicago....I spent 4 days of walking out of the hotel, heading right, walking miles and miles with my daughter from one shoe shop to the next, bored, feet hurting. On the 5th day I had a very creative Idea: what about walking out of the hotel, turning left instead of right?..My Gosh...just right around the corner, there were all those legendary Blues Clubs. Some of them even had old fotos of the Rolling Stones playing there posted on the wall..Live Bands close enough to touch... did not make my day, but made my nights..unforgotten

Yeah, we've got a couple of cool joints in this town. :)

That was a great idea to go the other way. Although one has to be aware of some of the rougher parts of town, there are a lot of great places off the beaten path.
Glad that you had a good time in Chicago.

Last edited:
In a way, this is a life lesson of sorts, isnt it?

" Sometimes...... just go the other way! "

good one, Root, glad Chicago was good to you.

That is one of the reasons why I will be going to college in Chicago. Since The Jazz Showcase is a 15min walk from where I will be going.

Yes, the Jazz Showcase is great. I'm so glad Joe Daley reopened it at another location. I was afraid he might be done. I also love the Green Mill. Just got back from the checking out the big band that plays there every Thursday. The musicians and band leader are all really nice people, and so is the female vocalist, who is a great jazz singer. I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't been there yet.

Maddrummr - I hope you took advantage of all the great food spots here in the Windy City. :)

Chicago, in my experience, is like taking one borough of New York City, cleaning it up to a squeaky clean polish and dropping it in Illinois. And I say this as a lifelong New Yorker.

Chicago's on my shortlist of places I'd like to end up in half a decade.

Hey Moldy,
As a lifelong Chicagoan, let me say we would love to have you here.
Although I have never been to New York City myself, those whom I've met from NYC seem to feel the same way that you do. They would always comment on how friendly and clean they thought Chicago was.

Back