Tommy Lee

That's for sure!
He is a showman in all aspects as a drummer and lifestyle...Tommy is the type of "We do the bad boy boggie...bad is bad."

TL is why I even got started drumming in the first place.

His grooves always have "cool" stamped all over them.

Plus he is a great performer and when you go to see a band live,
there better be something to see and Lee delivers in that arena,
and he looks like he is having a blast and that is the key

ever watched a live band that sounded great but they all just stood there motionless?

ever watched an ok sounding band that put on a great show?

Well that's what Lee is all about - putting on a great show
but the icing ont the cake is that Lee has some real talent
I think he just prefers heavy grooves - I bet he could get technical and
intricate if he wanted to.

In the end - it's about making music - I am getting tired of hearing people judge drummers by how technical or intricate or complicated they can get...when it's really about playing what fits the song and creating that "groove" that draws you in
and makes you want to move...tap you foot, bob your head....

And again - I compare Lee to Bonham in the groove factor

Lee to me is the Modern counterpart to Bonham

Tommy rings true and heavy.

A good example of it - is his performance on the albums "Too Fast For Love - Shout At The Devil - Theatre of Pain - Girls Girls Girls - Drx Feelgood." He's got a catchy feel above technique and plays for the song.

I think if you only focus on "Technique - nothing wrong with it at all"...you will sound like everybody else. You must have that - spicy feel bit - to sound different and interesting.

Don't get me wrong, i didn't say that he wasn't the most technical guy around in a negative way or as a critic!! I honestly think that Tommy is a powerful drummer. Big sound, great moves, great grooves and a good stage presence. But he don't get the recongnition. Gotta love Tommy :)

No worries mate! I understood your point. I agree Gotta Love Tommy and to recognize his drumming! :)

Don't get me wrong, i didn't say that he wasn't the most technical guy around in a negative way or as a critic!! I honestly think that Tommy is a powerful drummer. Big sound, great moves, great grooves and a good stage presence. But he don't get the recongnition. Gotta love Tommy :)

So does anyone know anything about his new kit (sizes, heads, etc.) with exception that he went to Pearl?

26" kick
14", 16", 18" main toms, not sure about the rest

Not that his sizes matter much, since he's triggering his whole kit now. His kick and toms have the Pearl Epro trigger heads, while his gong bass and snare have another trigger installed.

The kit certainly looks great though:
tommy1.png

tommy2.png

tommy3.png

That's the first time i've seen those pics. Nice kit.

I have no problem with Tommy personally. He's not the most technical drummer out there but what he does for Motley fits the music and for any band that's all that matters.

Technical abilities doesn't make anyone a good drummer, they will only ever be useful if they help you play what's appropriate for what you're trying to say. Some genres and styles require insane chops, while others require simple and accurate grooves.

In Tommy's case, he's trying convey an attitude of fun, partying and enjoyment, and he has just the right techniques to do so. Showmanship, twirls, big movements, powerful grooves and a stage presence that many front men would envy him.

Been playing Kickstart My Heart with the guys in the band. MAN, that song has a beat that drives like a freight train. Such a fun song to play.

Back