My Unix Bubinga Stave Kit - Chocolate Thunda!

Do these drums produce bassist-cowering volume?

Yes, as well as guitarist-disorienting mid-range!

We didn't do any recording last night...everyone was exhausted (including me from no sleep this week) so we just said hell w/ it....and had some fun improvising for a couple hours.

I'll get some audio clips up here soon.

I re-arranged it to put the toms in symmetric order (10", 12" 16") - it was just too uncomfortable to reach the 12" the other way. And, the tom stand is much more stable this way. It's still very strange for me, the toms are much higher than I'm used to and having that extra 10" really mixes things up. It'll take a couple weeks to really adjust.

Attachments

• dsc05512.jpg
    dsc05512.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 572
  • dsc05514.jpg
    dsc05514.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 567
Yes, as well as guitarist-disorienting mid-range!

We didn't do any recording last night...everyone was exhausted (including me from no sleep this week) so we just said hell w/ it....and had some fun improvising for a couple hours.

I'll get some audio clips up here soon.

I re-arranged it to put the toms in symmetric order (10", 12" 16") - it was just too uncomfortable to reach the 12" the other way. And, the tom stand is much more stable this way. It's still very strange for me, the toms are much higher than I'm used to and having that extra 10" really mixes things up. It'll take a couple weeks to really adjust.
The picture may be a bit misleading but it looks like you have still got some room to lower it a bit without contacting the base drum.

The picture may be a bit misleading but it looks like you have still got some room to lower it a bit without contacting the base drum.

As I was studying your latest pictures, with all that is going on, on the left side of the drum, I wonder if you wouldn't benefit from a rack instead of having everything on that one stand. That way you would be able to disperse the load better and as well as being more stable, give you more mounting options ? .( Actually I am feeling sorry for that poor stand :) )

It's hard to see but there's maybe 1/2" space and with the wobble of the stand I don't dare lower it any more.

I won't compromise on hi-hat placement as my balance is more important to me than having another tom. I'd move it somewhere else before I'd scoot my hi-hat stand over any more.

I'm not into racks...not right now anyhow. I like the idea of having this stand bare the load that it does so that when I do take my kit out...it's one piece of hardware doing many jobs. A rack seems cumbersome and unsightly in comparison. I might get another DW tom stand and use dog-bones to mount all of the cymbals on the right (ride, crash, china) as well.

Don't feel bad, these stands are tough as nails...they handle the load w/ ease. ;)

It`s finished, it`s ready, it`s beautiful!
Congratulations Zam, this looks like a true thunder with much power and tone.

Francois, awesome work again and again...it`s really great that the customer can rely on you. That`s an important factor!

PS: These lugs are a highlight. :) In fact, the whole kit is...any chances to get some recordings?

Karl

Alright, here's a really *bad* recording of me warming up the other night, after getting the kit setup in its current order. This isn't meant to be any type of structured solo that makes any sense...it's just discordant noise while puttering around the kit.

I'm using VF Akira Jimbo sig. sticks which I've decided I don't like. They're very top-heavy so all of this playing is sloppier than my usual stuff. I'll post more when I get the drums tuned better and get comfortable w/ a 5-pc. setup.

I wish I had more recordings of the kick...it's the only drum I'm really happy with my tuning on, so far.

Attachments

• noisy_thing.mp3
    4 MB · Views: 721
Alright, here's a really *bad* recording of me warming up the other night, after getting the kit setup in its current order. This isn't meant to be any type of structured solo that makes any sense...it's just discordant noise while puttering around the kit.

I'm using VF Akira Jimbo sig. sticks which I've decided I don't like. They're very top-heavy so all of this playing is sloppier than my usual stuff. I'll post more when I get the drums tuned better and get comfortable w/ a 5-pc. setup.

I wish I had more recordings of the kick...it's the only drum I'm really happy with my tuning on, so far.

Those drums sound really amazing: wild, rich, resonant and full, the way drums were meant to sound. Indeed, the way drums sounded for most of human history, until people went to the current dominant method (can't say the three-letter word too often or some people get offended). Stave construction is rooted in very ancient traditions.

Your playing is fine! You clearly have mated with this set and you sound great together.

I like it! The rack toms, snare, and kick sound killer. The floor tom sounded a little flat. Just a tuning issue I'm sure. Like DMC said the drums have a very rich quality to them. Rock on Vinnie!

Those drums sound really amazing: wild, rich, resonant and full, the way drums were meant to sound. Indeed, the way drums sounded for most of human history, until people went to the current dominant method (can't say the three-letter word too often or some people get offended). Stave construction is rooted in very ancient traditions.

Your playing is fine! You clearly have mated with this set and you sound great together.

Thanks! I guess I can hear my own discomfort on a recording...I can't tell you how many sticks have gone flying around the room by doing something as simple as adding a 10" tom and raising them a few inches.

I would describe them as you have - everything you expect out of a drum but don't often get. They're very *woody* sounding...as if you can hear every subtle overtone passing through the wood. The bubinga itself is quite distinct...low and high...warm and punchy...the best!

I'm extremely happy, I look forward to a lifetime of playing these babies.

I like it! The rack toms, snare, and kick sound killer. The floor tom sounded a little flat. Just a tuning issue I'm sure. Like DMC said the drums have a very rich quality to them. Rock on Vinnie!

Thanks Freddy!

It's tuned pretty low and sounds great...it's probably just due to the mic being so far away and me having NO clue how to use a mixer properly. This doesn't even begin to do the drums justice.

WOW!!! Those sound amazing on that clip, I think I may definitely customize my next kit through these guys, could anyone tell me where I could find a detailed explanation of how each wood sounds, or should I just use my best effort to understand the descriptions on their site and how much did those things cost if you don't mind me asking, I gotta get some of those.

Vinnie,

Wow, if you are not satisfy with this , I can't wait to hear them when you will be happy.
One thing I notice is that even if you are very polite on your drums, we can still hear plenty of the wood tone.

It doesn't sound flat, it's because it's not compress, it's their pure sound untouched.

WOW!!! Those sound amazing on that clip, I think I may definitely customize my next kit through these guys, could anyone tell me where I could find a detailed explanation of how each wood sounds, or should I just use my best effort to understand the descriptions on their site and how much did those things cost if you don't mind me asking, I gotta get some of those.

Francois at Unix Drums (unixdrums.com) was the builder, he's a member here and goes by the name of "Unix"

I won't talk about specific prices as it's personalized based on your choices. Check out the web site and talk to Frank!

Vinnie,

Wow, if you are not satisfy with this , I can't wait to hear them when you will be happy.
One thing I notice is that even if you are very polite on your drums, we can still hear plenty of the wood tone.

It doesn't sound flat, it's because it's not compress, it's their pure sound untouched.

Ha! I'm extremely satisfied Frank - these are it for me! I've already ruled out the idea of a "gig kit" - these drums are going everywhere with me. If I wreck 'em, I'll be back for more. I know I can tune them better though - it's a matter of choosing a sound, since they can be tuned *anywhere*.

I am using a fairly light touch on this clip. I'll post some with the band later so you can hear the difference. ;)

That floor tom sounds as big as the kick drum did on my Pearl Masters kit (not an exaggeration) - the mic isn't picking up all of the resonance...it's just not placed properly. I'm not using any compression or special EQ magic, either...this is a raw recording in a small room.

Last edited:
Ha! I'm extremely satisfied Frank - these are it for me! I've already ruled out the idea of a "gig kit" - these drums are going everywhere with me. If I wreck 'em, I'll be back for more. I know I can tune them better though - it's a matter of choosing a sound, since they can be tuned *anywhere*.

I am using a fairly light touch on this clip. I'll post some with the band later so you can hear the difference. ;)

That floor tom sounds as big as the kick drum did on my Pearl Masters kit (not an exaggeration) - the mic isn't picking up all of the resonance...it's just not placed properly. I'm not using any compression or special EQ magic, either...this is a raw recording in a small room.

Holy Christ Hammers a raw recording, dude that sent so many chills through my body, either you have some magical mic that makes everything sound like ultimate domination, or those drums are..... I gotta stop I'm going to use foul language to describe them because they sound so great, not in a bad way at all, THEY SOUND F***ING AMAZING!!!!!!!

oh ya if you make another clip could you give us a little more variety in beats and accents' I'd like to hear all of the dynamics out of this set, it just makes me so happy to hear a set that is this great, I never knew it was possible, now I have something to look forward to investing my money in. Oh and would it be wise to buy it piece by piece because I doubt I will have all of the money at once, or should I wait and buy a full kit? I'm going to have to start talking to Frank about woods and everything, and a virgin bass drum, this is all just too much for me to take in in 1 day.

Vinnie,

Sounds GREAT.

Your left foot is ROCK friggin solid.

Very nice playing!!!!!

Toms sound very good too.

Is that the Unix Snare or another???

Congrats my friend.

Mike

I finally got to download the mp3, past umpteen firewalls.

I have to say, even on cheap speakers, there is a roundness, and a natural woody-warmth here.

I can't play it at the volume I want to, but it's obvious how clean these drums record.

I can't say that DW's sound that lively, warm and powerfully deep all in one.

Your kit sounds as beautiful as it looks!

WOW AGAIN!!! I am listening to the clip now on my home system and it is so damn lively, damn good sound, good job Unix.

Thanks again all!

I'm recording at pretty low volume to prevent clipping...so it has to be cranked in order to hear the true volume. I'm about as competent of a sound engineer as I am a chimney sweep...so I do what I can w/ what I have.

Mikey - that's my Pork Pie Brass Patina snare...it's a 13"x7". The reso head is tuned up to the point that it might snap. The batter is tuned lower, just to the point where its tone can properly complement the kick drum....fat but high enough to ring and cut well. Thanks for the complements bud!

I'll record throughout the week, including band practice Thu. night - and I'll post whatever sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Back