Hurricane Irene

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
Geez. Irene's a total brat. She's been ripped up my neighborhood and the area around it all day.

I was never clear on what category Irene reached, I think it was a Cat 2 at most. If anyone has info on it or has been affected by it, this is the thread for it.

I'm still waiting on her.
I think that you guys down south a ways took the biggest part of her punch.
It will just be a bunch of wind and rain for me.

just on the northwest edge now outside of Philadelphia, hard rain, tornado warnings, wind...fun and games!

I got a call this afternoon, totally out of the blue, to sub tonight in Doylestown, PA. Blues gig. Cool, I love adventures, braving a hurricane to play with some new musicians. Got there at 7:30, started at 8:30 and they cut us loose at 10:00. I couldn't believe anyone would even consider a band tonight, but I made another good business contact, well worth it. There were some people there, to my surprise. My wife said if I took the gig she was leaving me lol. She was dead serious at the time lol. (I knew it would never happen, she is one of these people who suffer thousands of catastrophies, nearly all of which never occur) I knew she would be fine until I got home, she wouldn't be home until 9:30 PM from work anyway. So I risked my marriage to play lol.

I got home in plenty of time to assure my honey that Daddy was home and everything would be OK. Power went out an hour after I got home, just as I expected. Fired up the generator, and riding Irene for all she's worth, in total comfort. YEE HAA!

The news around here is scaring the scat out of everyone. They would have you think that a tree will fall on your house, projectiles will impale you to your cabinets, you will be stepping on broken glass, hitting your head, and all kinds of insane stuff. They were actually instructing people to get a 3x5 card, write your name and SS# and put it in a plastic bag in your shoe. Not a sandal, a shoe. So when you wash up somewhere, someone can identify you.

Re-diculous.

I have my 3x5 card in my shoe!
OK. If I drown, Will I really care if they know where my soggy grey body is?

What did hurricane Irene say to the palm tree ? Hang on to your nuts.......this isn't going to be a regular blow job !!

( sorry couldnt resist... )

Good morning from the UK. I live in Cornwall, we are the pointy bit down at the bottom of the UK. We stick out into the Atlantic and so obviously we get some serious gales. 100 mph is not unusual in the winter and we are prepared for it.
The main thing is to take shelter somewhere solid. Cornish houses are built of granite and slate for that reason. They are low solid buildings that will stand up to just about anything. After that you just tough it out. Expect power outages.

Our news services are full of Irene, we're all hoping for the best for you. Your biggest problem in New York is likely to be the storm surge. If it is high enough then the harbour area may be inundated. The other hazard will be of stuff blowing around and we are seeing lots of clips of people putting plywood panels over their windows and clearing their area of stuff that might blow away.

Good luck all. Keep safe and don't be a hero!

Good luck to all affected this weekend. Luckily, the storm isn't that intense, but it is huge, so lots of rain, storm surge coinciding with high tide, & other freak happenings are still dangers. My thoughts are with all you East Coast bin bashers today.

do not think we will get as bad as the news is saying either. should be just a tropical storm by the time it hits up here in NH. Wind and rain, some flooding and will probably lose power in the next few hrs. Thank god I have an acoustic kit : )

She missed us here in Florida, and I wish everyone on the Northern East coast the best. I have been through one and the biggest pain is the loss of power for 5 days. Keep your heads down and good luck.

The people along the shore in many towns in Long Island NY and Connecticut got hammered along with Rhode Island and Mass.
Many homes washed away, There were several lives lost.
I have no work today because of power outage.

I was fortunate. The lights blinked a few times but the power never went out.
A slight bit of water in my garage and a slight bit of water came down the vent stack for the kitchen range vent.
There is flooding in my town along the rivers. That happens often.

The amount of rain and the high tides were the bigger problem than the wind which fell just slightly below hurricane speed as it hit New England.

Last edited:
Yeah seems if you were inland you got it worse than the coastal region when it hit northern New England. We lost power for 12hrs but western NH got it real bad. major flooding and downed tree's, power is still out on that half of the state.

My power was still out when I left for work this morning... So that's about 36 hrs so far... I've had it worse before, but its still annoying... I'm still pretty glad overall; I was worried about my basement flooding (where my drums be at), but everything looks ok.

Hi all

I have been unable to get hold of an elderly aunt and uncle in Cedarhurst Long Island since Irene hit. Their phone is ringing so the line is up, but they are not answering. Can anyone out there tell me if folks from this area may have been moved out to shelters etc? Any ideas how I can find out more info??

Thanks! Mary L

p.s. I'm in the UK

Last edited:
Hi all

I have been unable to get hold of an elderly aunt and uncle in Cedarhurst Long Island since Irene hit. Their phone is ringing so the line is up, but they are not answering. Can anyone out there tell me if folks from this area may have been moved out to shelters etc? Any ideas how I can find out more info??

Thanks! Mary L

p.s. I'm in the UK

Dont know if this helps but I have a brother in Bridgehampton which got high winds, high surf and some beach erosion. Other than some window screens that got blown away by 65mph winds they were largely ok. But B'hampton is further out than where you aunt is.

Back