High pressure sales techniques

I don't know if it's my midwest upbringing or what, but I have a reflexive aversion to anyone trying to sell me anything. I can smell a sales pitch a mile away, and I immediately tune out and want nothing to do with it. If I want to buy something, I do my research, seek out someone who knows what s/he's talking about and buy it.

But, of course, these high-pressure sales tactics continue to exist because they work on some people. I know people who actually want to be sold something. I can't relate at all. I guess maybe they like having someone kiss their a**es for a while, but to me, it's a terrible waste of my time.

Haha. Well played, Andy. Well played. :)

I think as one grows older, you learn to push back and or ignore the pressure. I learned at an early age, and because of a shallow wallet how to say NO

Just got back from getting an oil change around an hour ago... had three different guys come in and start pushing other crap on me. They were a-okay with trying to take an extra $150 of my money but when I asked them to take $2 off the purchase so it would be an even forty, that was impossible. Go figure.

I'm in gear sales, and you guys can take solace in the fact that us asking for your information is just as stressful as you having to put up with it. None of us find joy in pestering you, it's just how we get the paycheck. But the phone number thing is actually legitimately helpful for the customer... we can look you up by it when you shop with us so that the checkout process is much more streamlined and we never even use the phone number without requesting permission. Like if someone orders some drums through me, I will call them when the set arrives.

There's definitely another side of the story and at the end of the day, both people involved just want to get through the transaction without any trouble.

I have been selling drumkits for nearly two decades and the sales pitch has changed because the retail market has changed. Its a desperate affair out there.

The retailers who 'get it' dont force anyone onto anything, as they understand that customers are far more savvy than they used to be and dont like being pressured, bullied or tricked into things theyd otherwise not want to be a part of.

Its also important to point out that customer attitudes are far worse than they used to be, and unfortunately many seem to think theyre hearing a sales pitch when you are in fact trying to give them the information they asked for.

Sales training aint for the weak, and not everyone can do it!

It would stink to be a salesperson in this down economy.

A lot of them work on commission. If they don't sell they don't make much money or get paid at all. If they don't meet their quotas they will get fired. That's why they are so pushy and use the high pressure sales technique.

Having done retail sales for a few years, the state of many retailers is bleak. Online retailers are taking a large amount of sales from brink and mortar stores. Like any other game, the demand for cheaper pricing will create a small pond of large sharks. The little guy can't afford to buy the volume the manufacturer wants and thus shuts thier doors.

Corporations and larger chains spend alot of money and therefore need to recoup ALOT of money ... hence the pressure to sell at a salesperson level.

Back