Do you remove and save the originalk snare head?

Astropath

I just purchased a new snare and wonder if I should remove the head with the drum Logo (Craviotto) and replace it with a new Remo or Evans head. Does anyone do that?

I just purchased a new snare and wonder if I should remove the head with the drum Logo (Craviotto) and replace it with a new Remo or Evans head. Does anyone do that?

I usually do, in case I want to re-sell the drum later. The only stock heads with logos that I usually use are the resonant bass drum heads.

Gretsch drums (Renown and higher kits, and their Full-Range and higher snares) come with real Evans heads instead of re-branded heads anyway. My Catalina Club Jazz kit had rebranded G1 coated heads on them and I immediately put Vintage Emperors on them for the sound difference anyway. When I sold them I put the original "Gretsch" heads back on the toms.

I use them if they're good, real USA-made versions. Replace them if they're cheapos.

I usually play what's on the drum, unless they sound like trash. It doesn't matter if they have a special logo on them or not. My snare heads get changed regularly, depending on their use.

Dennis

I took both heads off my then-new DW Craviatto snare, and I drew a picture on the snare head. It's hung on the wall of my music room.

Photo2-1.jpg

Couldn't afford not to use it because of the DW Collector's price tag. However, not as expensive as the Crav. I guess that would mean you'd already have a replacement head lined up. I didn't do that research and couldn't wait to bang on it.

Saving the original head on those might help with resale value. But who would want to sell a Craviatto :) ........ (heck - I can barely spell it)?

Heck, if you can afford a drum like that, then what's another 16 bucks? But then again, good drums come with good heads (my Tama Copeland came outfitted with a coated remo ambassador, my head of choice anyway) so you shouldn't have to change it unless you like something completely different (like if you have to have that remo black suede powerstroke 3).

Save it for selling later? 1) An expensive drum I plan to keep and 2) People who are in the market for high end used drums know they'll put what they want on it anyway, so I don't think it adds to the re-sale value (if you ever wanted to sell it).

I see what you are all saying. I just wish I could buy Craviotto, Joyful Noise, etc., drum heads because they look so nice on their drums. But, you cannot so I am faced with wearing them out or removing them and hanging them on the wall, Thanks!

Back