Mic Choice on a budget (overheads)

It might actually be the case that you're hitting too hard. On your computer, was it going into the amber or the red? I'm guessing the red. That's too hot - it'd probably be absolutely fine on tape, but going into digital, that's going to clip. EDIT: On second thoughts, I'm guessing the 'clip' LED was going off on the Edirol rather than on your computer...

Again, the only thing I can think of is gain. AKG have the spec sheet on their website and it doesn't appear to have a particular bias for anything snare-related either. One solution might be to actually tilt the capsule slightly off-axis so that the snare is rejected more by the capsule, if that's what is peaking it. You'll have to do some playing around to get the right sound out of that method though.

EDIT: I'm just looking at the Edirol interface. Now, this probably sounds patronising so don't take it the wrong way, but just to make sure we're talking about the same control, it's the 'Sens' control that you're turning down, right? That may sound like a silly question, but stranger things have happened.

Yeah clipping on the Edirol (it's either off or red) - didn't look to see if the computer was clipping - I assumed if one was, then the other would as well? I have a feeling that when the Edirol clips, Cubase doesn't though.

and yeah it's the 'Sens' control I'm referring to.

Well if the Edirol is clipping, then that is a problem. You could turn down the output level of the interface, but that wouldn't get rid of the problem of nasty clipping in the interface. If it's still doing it, I suggest you try another Mic or try my off-axis capsule idea. Yeah - not great advice I know, but it's all I can think of without putting a limiter before the Edirol, which would mean more outboard gear.

Anyone else have an ideas?

I think other mics would be the option. I started out with the idea of getting something like C1000s so that's cool.

I have, however seen some posts mentioning Audix mics. I've had a look and I can get a full set of mics for not a huge amount more than I was originally going to spend on a kick mic and overheads. Without something like that I would be borrowing all the other mics from a mate so it would be good to have them all myself.

Audix are good quality. If you can get the overheads (C1000's are good, I'm considering a set sooner or later) then you ought to be sorted.

If I understand the problem correctly, it's not a mic problem (except that the mics are too hot). Unless the mics and your interface are clipping simultaneously, the problem is the interface. You might need to get another mixer to attenuate the output of the mics.

What I'll usually do is run mics into my Mackie mixer and then patch the appropriate channels back out into my audio interface. That way, I can turn the gain down as necessary on the Mackie and keep my interface out of the red.

Also, I'll submit that I've used SM-57s as overheads with good success. My MXL condenser mics, however, DO clip with the high SPLs drums exert.

Sm57's as overheads? Getouttahere! I joke. I've heard nothing but good news on the MXL's, but I've never seen them. Probably not as popular in the UK.

Obviously having a mix control prior to your interface would be an obvious way of lowering the gain - like Dker says, so if you do have a mixer, use it. This would all be so much easier if we were recording to tape - it probably just wouldn't matter! I miss the 16-track tape machine at college - especially seeing as I was the only kid who knew how to run it and set it up without instruction... damn digital recording...

Ok. So I could try putting the C3000s through the mixer of my 4 track. I might give that a go next time.

Basically I can borrow a couple of C3000s or buy something myself. If I can use the C3000s that would be better cos then I have more to spend on other mics. And by more I actually mean less...credit.

Yep. Didn't know you had a mixer! Just put it through there and put the level down slightly, you'll know if it's the mic or your interface clipping then.

Yep. Didn't know you had a mixer! Just put it through there and put the level down slightly, you'll know if it's the mic or your interface clipping then.

I figured if the input was clipping then the mic might be being pushed too far as well.

I'll have a go with the mixer next time I'm in the studio which should be this weekend.

Well it might still be the mic, but using a mixer to reduce the input level will help work this out.

It's possible, but unlikely. C3000's are about the same as every other condenser with their maximum SPL before damage, so it's unlikely.

guys....I bought m-audio pulsar II's for overheads and our band records with them.....absolutely amazing mics for the price....so clear. I use a bass mic and these as overheads and it picks up the set so well, toms sound great, cymbals so clear, and it picks up the snare well too (although i wanna buy a snare mic in the future). seriously....only 250-300 dollars for a matched pair and theyre fantastic.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOPULSARII
look into them theyre great especially for XY and ORTF configurations. They also can be used for other things. When we record Ive miced guitar amps before and acoustic guitar and got terrific results. Just wanted to let all of you know

Back