There's Sex Wax Everywhere!!!

Watters87

Hi guys,

I had been using sex wax on my sticks for grip but have had to stop because my cymbal edges are now caked in the stuff. I'm playing Zildjian K lIghts and was wondering if anyone know a safe and none abbrasive way to get the stuff of as i think it is now affecting the sound of them

Cheers

That stuff is sensitive to heat. I'd use a hair dryer and wipe it off when it's melted. Will probably take some work and several passes, but you don't want to use water/soap on your cymbals. You could also try the cymbal cleaner stuff if you're into that squeaky-clean look. Goo Gone also seems to get stuff off cymbals like sharpie... I've never put surfboard wax on my drum gear before, so this is kinda uncharted territory.

I f'n love the smell of sex wax in the morning, though. Closely associated with driving out to the waves in the early hours for my head.

Hi guys,

I had been using sex wax on my sticks for grip but have had to stop because my cymbal edges are now caked in the stuff. I'm playing Zildjian K lIghts and was wondering if anyone know a safe and none abbrasive way to get the stuff of as i think it is now affecting the sound of them

Cheers

HaHa I use this stuff too. But I've only ever gotten it on the rim of the snare drum. Do you wax your whole erm stick….

I wax my stick! The whole dam thing!

Not really, but I am unable to let these kinds of sentences go by without resorting to my teenage mode.

All snidness aside, (You have no idea how difficult it is to discuss this without going into my full smart ass mode) I still don't know what this stuff is but if it is to enhance the grip wouldn't it be best just to use it just where you are going to hold it?

I still don't know what this stuff is but if it is to enhance the grip wouldn't it be best just to use it just where you are going to hold it?

Sex Wax is a common product surfers use on the top side of their board to enhance the traction for their feet. Its comes as a puck shaped thing of hard wax, that you just rub on the surface you want traction on.

Attachments

• Products35694-1200x1200-395492.jpg
    Products35694-1200x1200-395492.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,269
Hi guys,

Cheers

Hot water should remove it, along with rubbing with a cloth...........................not sure how much wax you are using, but a little goes a long way.

you don't want to use water/soap on your cymbals.

Although it probably wouldn't work in this instance, there's nothing wrong with using water and soap or detergent on a cymbal, as long as you dry it thoroughly afterwards.

Sex Wax is a common product surfers use on the top side of their board to enhance the traction for their feet. Its comes as a puck shaped thing of hard wax, that you just rub on the surface you want traction on.

That explains it. We don't do a lot of surfing in Oklahoma.

That is correct, but I'm confused by the image you posted. It actually says "for drummers" on there.

That is correct, but I'm confused by the image you posted. It actually says "for drummers" on there.

Mr. Zog also makes Sex Wax specifically for skaters, snowboarders, and hockey players, as well as drummers and surfers. Supposedly the formulas are different for each application.

Being sweet and innocent, I've not heard of Sex Wax.

I can imagine how it might reduce the number of dropped sticks. But when I think of times when the sticks have felt sticky (food on hands, whatever) I found the extra tackiness affected the smooth movement of the sticks and also made me more prone to blisters.

Just wondering aloud.

I will not use anything sticky near my drums. So many kits I've bought and sold over the years were covered with wax, vasoline, stickers, duct tape, etc.. All that residue is a real pain to remove. I won't even use moongels.
If you are having trouble gripping your sticks I would recommend wearing wrist bands, wrapping your sticks with grip tape, or both.

Attachments

• imagesCANQXPQC.jpg
    imagesCANQXPQC.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 233
Back