Lets see your awful/embarrassing/broken kits

One of the crappest kits I ever owned, but know wonder, look whos it's made by.
0830071950editedbs7.jpg

Embarrassing? Oh, I've got that covered. My CB700 kit and feathered hairdo, circa 1985.

Attachments

• retrodrums.jpg
    retrodrums.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 623
Does this not mean you're effectively tuning them up to sound like a 14" and a 16"?.

Not exactly. But the 18" had to be higher pitched than I liked it, and so did the 16", just so the 18" would not be a total mess. I also ended up using different heads on the 18" just to darken it down. I am kind of picky in that area. That's also why I don't use an 18" anymore, it's not worth it for me.

One of the crappest kits I ever owned, but know wonder, look whos it's made by.
0830071950editedbs7.jpg
PDP is made my DW and DW is a pretty good.
But then again PDP is a side company that sells the drum for cheaper.

I lost my interest in 18" floor toms. The deal is, it sounds only *slighty* deeper than a 16" FT. But it also loses punch and coherence. I have noticed from an audience perspective that a 16" sounds deeper because of the punch. And as to recording: a 16" records cleaner IMO.

I avoided having one in my kit for those reasons.

I think that an 18" floor tom makes the most sense when tuned high with a coated head.
If you are a low tuner then a 16" is plenty low already.

Wayne

edit: Just read the rest of you're posts and it sounds like we are on the same page.

Damn - wish i had some pics of my old stage percussion with no snare or cymbals.

Then again, it's probably a good thing!

I'm 6'3 that's about a perfect angle any steeper and my wrists hurt cause i have to turn them back to hit them for good projection

A little sarcasm there. I would suggest that since you are tall, that you move them closer, flatten them out, and maybe let them overlap the rack toms a bit so that you can play them.

Crappy kits? Where to start, where to start...

PIC_1416.jpg

I actually have to say I would kill to start out with a set like that
I actually really like the mis-match of that haha

I'll have to put something up of my little craps I played on haha

this is my THIRD set
of course it's been beaten and taken apart and I've lost parts to it and it's not fully set up
but right now I'm screwin around on it in my room
it is definitely not my main set!

Attachments

• crap set.jpg
    crap set.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 429
Is that 4 lugs on those toms? Ahh well the snare looks alright.

well the snare I got after I got the set and was a major upgrade
I still love that snare and use it with my new set
the four lugs on the tom made it impossible to tune!
I actually got the set for a steal though even for the quality
it came with all meinl cymbals (the crash and hats were brass) and a wonderful ride cymbal
for 120 bucks
I would post pictures but they're too big haha

I WISH I had a picture of my first drumset!

Ludwig Paint Drizzel Bass, and two toms that belonged to someone else.
Circa 1960s style steel snare, no name, that you actually need a crescent wrench to tune.
Old Field Snare Drum, in green sparkle, bottom head taken off used as a floor tom.
Camber Crash and Hi Hats.

It was a site!

Crash
www.myspace/musicofwolvesatthedoor.com

Back