Simon Phillips

Still blows me away - every friggin' time. Stumbled across this short clip today. The power, the dynamic control, the grace, & the fun. I rarely like solo's (even Simon's), but this does it for me :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TYdqXV-REI&list=PL3299310E1BE8C4B3

Whoa! He's changed his tom arrangement (two floating toms above a single floor tom). I don't know that he's done that since the 80s, except for the extra floor tom that he sometimes adds behind his two main ones.

And yes, that solo is amazing. Simon's touch is second-to-none.

I was searching something nice to share for my first post here and hope this video will surprise and amaze you like it did for me. I ddn't know this band (just found it) and didn't imagine Simon Philips could be a such incredible jazz drummer. His sound and his drumming here are just fantastic !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQN9v0aNdy0

Absolutely fantastic little gem you linked here... I know what I'm doing tonight :)

I know somebody here who will like this very much...

Welcome to the forum Chris :)

Something very Tony Williams-esque about that first tune... couldnt help comparing. Awesome as Simon is as a drummer, on this kind of music I find his playing a little mechanical and pre meditated.

No reflection on Simon or his greatness as a drummer . Love him with Lukather, Hiromi, and all his solo projects.

PS- allo, Henri! Long time! Hope all goes good, mon ami.

Something very Tony Williams-esque about that first tune...

absolutely !

there is no doubt that it was a tip of the cap to Tony .... that whole intro was pretty much verbatim Tony quotes .... and done well in my opinion

Last edited:
Awesome as Simon is as a drummer, on this kind of music I find his playing a little mechanical and pre meditated.

I agree, but I think he has enough finesse and dynamics to pull it off. It's like Neil Peart jazz, only waaaay better.

Something very Tony Williams-esque

Hi stranger - I was thinking Tony Williams too :) Not being so versed in jazz, I figured it was the low tuned toms.

He is more at home in this set than the last time I heard him play straight ahead. When you think of all that SP has achieved on drums it's good to see him still finding ways to be challenged with Hiromi and now, working on his jazz authenticity.

I know somebody here who will like this very much...
Count me in as a "somebody" :)

Chris, nice discussion point example, & welcome to the forum. Great to see that rascal Abe here too :)

Regrettably, I'm grossly under qualified to comment on the authenticity of Simon's Jazz sensibilities, other than to observe that (IMO) his drum sound is a little on the "thumpy" side of my expectation. Simon's ability to convincingly turn his hand to just about any genre amazes me. He does subtle really well, but tends to thrive in a wide dynamic environment. He excels at explosive touches sprinkled through a piece, & that's why I think the Hiromi gig suits him so well.

Of course, we all know that Simon was brought up around Jazz, so that foundation of understanding is certainly there. If we work on the basis that you are what you've played, then in Simon's case, it's not unreasonable to expect rock flavours to creep in from time to time. In many ways, that makes such performances more interesting (& in some ways more accessible) to the likes of me, though I doubt that will appease the self acclaimed purists.

Hi stranger - I was thinking Tony Williams too :) Not being so versed in jazz, I figured it was the low tuned toms.

He is more at home in this set than the last time I heard him play straight ahead. When you think of all that SP has achieved on drums it's good to see him still finding ways to be challenged with Hiromi and now, working on his jazz authenticity.

Hola there, my wunnerful ol' friend! : )).. decided to pop in for a bit, as they say in London town.

The drums we tuned low, yes, but the playing had lots of repetitive figures, quite unlike Tony for instance, or for that matter any top jazz cat, who's playing would be a lot more free flowing and reactive to the music. Just my take on it -

@Andy, T. Underhill - Not undercutting Simon as a top shelf drummer in any way. His Hiromi gig was mind blowing- Check out Simon playing with Lukather on " Party in Simon's Pants" a 15/8 tune on which he kills it- and yes, he plays a stunning solo on a 81/2 bar vamp! ~ Thats Simon doing what he does best, IMHO.

Last edited:
Hola there, my wunnerful ol' friend! : )).. decided to pop in for a bit, as they say in London town.

The drums we tuned low, yes, but the playing had lots of repetitive figures, quite unlike Tony for instance, or for that matter any top jazz cat, who's playing would be a lot more free flowing and reactive to the music. Just my take on it -

Good to see you, old bean!

Have to take your word on that one - sounded pretty jazzy to me but I'm pretty big on repetitive figures :)

PS- allo, Henri! Long time! Hope all goes good, mon ami...

Hi Abe, nice to hear from you... seems like I've joined you on making brief appearances on the forum... far to busy y'a know... I hope you're OK :)

Awesome as Simon is as a drummer, on this kind of music I find his playing a little mechanical and pre meditated...

I just wish I could play this kind of music as pre-meditated and mechanical as Simon, I'll be in heaven...

... and yes, Tony Williams was an influence for Simon, he even dedicated an album as a tribute to Tony which was called Another Lifetime... this explaining that... :)

Hi Abe, nice to hear from you... seems like I've joined you on making brief appearances on the forum... far to busy y'a know... I hope you're OK :)

I just wish I could play this kind of music as pre-meditated and mechanical as Simon, I'll be in heaven...

Henri, who would you hire for the session if you were producing this music and you could choose between Simon and DeJohnette?

..........You dont have to answer that ; )

Im good, life has moved on so hardly here, but I peek in occasionally to see if Grea, Andy or you have muttered anything interesting : ). Be well, buddy.

Low tuned toms? Simon's toms are tuned way tighter than you think, and Tony's toms were tensioned into the stratosphere.

I own the DVD of this video, and the sound is incredible all 'round. I also purchased the CD when it first came out years ago. Great, great music and playing.

I love it. Simon was a huge influence on me. He belongs in discussions of the greats more often. I believe he grew up playing big band music with his father, yes? Can't recall exactly the details, but I think his pops was a musician.

Anyway, definite Tony in the opening track but Simon has a very individual sound and approach that comes through in everything he plays. One of the handful of living legends, imo.

Does it irritate the hell out of anyone else that he can ride with absolutely equal fluency with left or right hand? I mean, come on!

Back