Will the cobra coil fit on Chrome IC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

loco517

Hi everyone, I'm looking into buying either Iron cobras(power-glide) or a pair of 9000's. I recently came across a pair of the special edition chrome Iron Cobra's for a good price. So i am wondering if the cobra coil will fit the chrome ic's. Thanks

Also does anyone know if my foot would slip on the chrome, as I play barefoot usually.

EDIT* heres an ebay auction with a few pics if it helps, as there's a pic showing underneath the footboard.

Last edited:
I had to look up what this 'Cobra Coil' was, and I found an interesting video about from a fellow at Youtube. CLICK HERE to see it.

I think if you already have an Iron CObra, this might be a very useful device with some very good pluses to pedal feel.

On the flipside, the biggest selling feature is that it is primarily gives a higher spring tension ability for the pedal. The effect means more downward energy from your leg to achieve a downstroke, but the benefit of returning the foot board to the starting position more quickly. The problem is that there is a disconnect between the footboard and the cam on the upstroke of the pedalboard. Moving the footboard upwards while the pedal is not being used will show that no energy can be returned upwards into the beater because the chain linkage prevents it. Only a direct drive pedal can do that.

If the selling points of this product interest you and you have not yet bought a pedal, I would give you the advice of considering a direct drive pedal.

Some options you may consider would be Axis, or Yamaha Flying Dragon, or Trick, or Pearl Demon Drive. Only a true direct drive will play like a direct drive.

Yes, they are different. Yes, some people don;t like to adapt to them because they are different, but those who really wanna get their feet moving most efficiently should have a look at them.

Now if you already have an Iron Cobra,, they do play excellently so this device does have a benefit and could be combined with the direct drive linkage another fellow here at DrummerWorld makes. I think if you bought an Iron Cobra in conjunction with the direct drive converter kit, you may well have a really interesting pedal. I'd certainly check one out at a store if it was made like that.

...and that product, the cobra coil, gave me a very good idea. Thank you for asking such a great question!

While I can;t be certain about using that coil with the all chrome edition ICs, I believe you should be able to. They are modular design and many parts should work with different models. Not certain though. Maybe a shop has one to check out a chrome in comparison to the non chrome nearby?

No, it doesn't fit.
You can drill holes for it, if you want. I did that on the regular old model Iron Cobra.

Thank you or the detailed response crazy8s!

Now manderman, would you say that the cobra coil is worth the holes to drill? and what size holes are they? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back