Ludwig standards

everletty

So I an early 70s Ludwig standard set that I'm in the midst of restoring. One of the biggest problems I've run into while doing this is that the internet does not have that much information on the set since it was a cheaper and, in my eyes, underrated set. So I'm wondering if anyone has any general information on the sets and if anyone has so pictures of their sets. Just anything that might help getting my set as close to original as possible and making it look as good as new. Thanks!

Maybe try the search function on here. Or check posts by a guy named Al Parrott on here who restored one.
Although not the flagship line of the day, the Standards have a nice secret - same shells as the regular 3 ply Ludwigs of the day just different hardware/lugs and so pretty much sound the same.

Here's my late '69 kit in Blue Mist, all original (plus the addition of a Rogers stick tray!)

Attachments

• jbskit8sm.jpg
    jbskit8sm.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 866
Here's my late '69 kit in Blue Mist, all original (plus the addition of a Rogers stick tray!)

I can't believe Rogers made a stick tray back then! Do you still have that kit in your massive collection?

So I an early 70s Ludwig standard set that I'm in the midst of restoring. One of the biggest problems I've run into while doing this is that the internet does not have that much information on the set since it was a cheaper and, in my eyes, underrated set. So I'm wondering if anyone has any general information on the sets and if anyone has so pictures of their sets. Just anything that might help getting my set as close to original as possible and making it look as good as new. Thanks!

Check out the Vintage Drum Guide. It has a section on Ludwig Standards, including a number of catalog pages. (http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/ludwig_standards.htm)

Ludwig released the Standard kit to compete with the influx of overseas kits coming in. They created cheaper lugs and hardware, attached it to the same 3-ply shells in their pro kits, gave them unique wraps, and sold them at a lower price point. Besides Bermuda, perhaps the most famous "player" of Ludwig Standards was Chris Partridge in the Partridge Family.

My Standards were rescued from a dumpster and given to me by a friend; I spent a bit of dough fixing them up and now they're my #1 kit.

Attachments

• IMG_20130815_133033_726.jpg
    IMG_20130815_133033_726.jpg
    608.2 KB · Views: 851
  • standards.jpg
    standards.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 849
I can't believe Rogers made a stick tray back then! Do you still have that kit in your massive collection?

That picture was from 1969, I think the tray was introduced a year or two earlier.

The kit is long gone, but the toms survived long enough to appear on Al's first album, recorded in 1982. It went through a few incarnations though, including being permanently converted to concert toms.

Bermuda

I had that same kit in the 80's, only with a single rack tom. I don't think I realized it was that old back when I had it. Yours is probably the same color, but mine was sort of an aqua green. I think it may have faded.

The same kit showed up on Craigslist here in the free section, only they had the matching snare, plus an additional silver sparkle keystone badge snare and cymbals (don't even want to think about what those might have been). I probably get the idiot of the century award for not grabbing it, but I had no place left to put it and figured maybe someone else needed it more. I caught it shortly after the ad showed up so I probably had a decent chance.

Take Care

I had that same kit in the 80's, only with a single rack tom. I don't think I realized it was that old back when I had it. Yours is probably the same color, but mine was sort of an aqua green. I think it may have faded.

The wrap was still the old celluloid stuff that yellowed and shrank, and mine also turned sea green within a few years. I think that pic is when they were a month or two old, and still pretty bright, although the color isn't quite right, the Blue Mist was bright and turquoisey.

Like so:

ludstan1.jpg

Please forgive my first attempt to upload a picture. If I did it correctly you should see a set of 1971 Ludwig Standards. I have searched the threads on DW trying to find out something about the finish. It looks like what the Ludwig sites describe as a strata but the closest thing I can find that looks like it is called "silver Astro". To me they sure look more white than silver. From what I've read there are a few of you guys out there that know a lot more about these drums than I do. The date is stamped inside the drums so I am sure about the 1971 date, but I can't find any mention of this color/finish on any of the existing threads. Can anyone help me out? BTW these things sound fantastic.

Attachments

• '71 Ludwig Standards.jpg
    '71 Ludwig Standards.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 755
Please forgive my first attempt to upload a picture. If I did it correctly you should see a set of 1971 Ludwig Standards. I have searched the threads on DW trying to find out something about the finish. It looks like what the Ludwig sites describe as a strata but the closest thing I can find that looks like it is called "silver Astro". To me they sure look more white than silver. From what I've read there are a few of you guys out there that know a lot more about these drums than I do. The date is stamped inside the drums so I am sure about the 1971 date, but I can't find any mention of this color/finish on any of the existing threads. Can anyone help me out? BTW these things sound fantastic.

That is absolutely a Silver Astro, and looks to still be in fine nick, too. Nice!

As I mentioned earlier, the Vintage Drum Guide has a great page on the Ludwig Standard line.

Thank you so much for the info. I would really love to find an extra mounted tom so that I could have the option of making a 5 piece from time to time. Have not had any luck thus far though.

Thank you so much for the info. I would really love to find an extra mounted tom so that I could have the option of making a 5 piece from time to time. Have not had any luck thus far though.

Keep watching eBay. There's sets and individual pieces up on there all the time.

Do yourself a favor and grab one of the Standard aluminum snares. Seamless shell, has that distinct Ludwig pop. They show up on Ebay often. I love mine, it kicked the Acrolite off the stand for a long time!

Attachments

• my ludwig standard 5x14 2.jpg
    my ludwig standard 5x14 2.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 735
Do yourself a favor and grab one of the Standard aluminum snares. Seamless shell, has that distinct Ludwig pop. They show up on Ebay often. I love mine, it kicked the Acrolite off the stand for a long time!

Agreed. One summer my Standard aluminium snare knocked a brand new Pearl Sensitone Elite BOB off the stand for two gigs and a theater run... great drum.

I guess the Standard snare is something that might show up on E-bay as well? There was a snare years ago when I got the set and if i'm not mistaken it was a 13" (I could be wrong though). It might have been a steel snare. Anyway, I'll keep an eye peeled. Right now I use an Acrolite or an old '62 model Slingerland.

Thanks for all the good information. I knew you guys would come through.

I guess the Standard snare is something that might show up on E-bay as well? There was a snare years ago when I got the set and if i'm not mistaken it was a 13" (I could be wrong though). It might have been a steel snare. Anyway, I'll keep an eye peeled. Right now I use an Acrolite or an old '62 model Slingerland.

Thanks for all the good information. I knew you guys would come through.

Yes. The Standard snares (whether wood, anodized aluminium or chromed aluminium) were all 5x14, so your 13" was likely not original.

There's an aluminium on eBay right now for not much more than what an Acrolite typically runs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272597914967

Yes. The Standard snares (whether wood, anodized aluminium or chromed aluminium) were all 5x14, so your 13" was likely not original.

There's an aluminium on eBay right now for not much more than what an Acrolite typically runs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272597914967

I just grabbed an aluminum one off of eBay this week. There's another for around $115 that I was watching. Bids close on Monday, I think.

I refurbished a late 60's standard kit 12/13/16/22 recently. I'll have to take some pictures. I didn't restore it to original though, so you guys might not like it. I stripped the wraps, sanded and stained them min-wax gun stock and a couple coats of poly. Replaced the old stands and hi-hat with Atlas Standards. And replaced the wimpy rod BD spurs with the new Atlas ones as well.

This is the only kit I have ever had - bought it used in '73.

BTW - I have been looking for the 14" Floor Tom, if you know anyone that is looking to sell.

That's the same pattern on my old Standards, except in sort of an orange/gold.

Back