LUDWIG ATLAS PRO-SINGLE

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I recently got the Ludwig Atlas Pro single.

Wanted to give it a little while before I gave an opinion. It was pretty different feeling than what I was used to, and I needed to get used to it, and play around/adjust etc...

THIS IS A REALLY GREAT pedal! Glad I bought it, worth every penny.

Top notch on everything. Chromed Hex bolts on attachments, rubber bottom, great and EASY adjustments.
Smooth feel, power, FAST action..... It's really awesome. The beater can swing a good 5 times before it slows down to stop.

The rolling spring attachment is really nice, but I actually had to get used to it.

I loved my Eliminators, but the beater stopped pretty much after the back swing, and I did all the work doing multiple doubles, triples etc... After almost 10 years, you get used to that kind of feel.
After adjusting and seeing what I liked better, I shortened the (short) chain (noticed the angle on the other pedal..."Oh, that's right!...").
Now, even though the angle is steeper, I still get the beater to swing about 4 times after pressing down on the foot board.

The feel is smooth and, for how I adjusted, strong. I feel the pedal under my foot, but I DON'T feel like I'm working the pedal. With some really smooth pedals, the feel is too light. Not with the Atlas Pro. It's very comfortable. I think anyone could get a feel they loved with this pedal TBH.

The toe stop is removable for those who hate them.

The foot board size is nice. It's a bit larger, which people with larger feet will like (size 11 here), BUT, even though the board is a bit bigger, it is NOT sluggish at all.
Looks awesome too (for those with a thing for Ludwig)!
The feel of the foot board is semi smooth, not "grippy", not slick. I like it.

The hoop attachment foot is great and it takes no time to set. Just slip it on the hoop and it's ready. The wing bolt on the side is very smooth, and the part that holds the (included) drum key is really heavy duty.
The heel plate height doesn't bother me at all (on other pedals it was a problem), and it has little (folding) spikes on the side which are pretty cool.

After I can't remember how long, I also now have matching foot boards!

I also got the Atlas Classic flat base Hi hat stand.
This FB hi hat stand is STURDY, and comfortable! Action is smooth and it's easy with smooth folding to set up and take down for packing.
All the points of rivets on the legs are very secure. No sound from them at all, and they work smoothly. I don't even need a memory lock to keep the tube from slipping down (the DW did that). The clamp for height adjustment is very secure without cranking it.

The bottom cymbal adjuster is pretty slick too.

No wobble!
I really wanted the DW 6000 a few years ago, but that stand was wobble city, and there was no way I could use it.

The Classic tube sizes are just right. Not bulky, but not skinny.
Love it.

glad you like them. i remember you saying you were looking into them a few months ago.

Thanks. Yeah, they are cool pieces of gear.

I guess the post is more like a blog, no responses, just lookers haha!

Hey Karl,
I got the Ludwig Pro Pedal (single) from last year. It has the double chain and foot board. I can get a great deal if I want to trade up for 2012 hardware.......

You got me thinking........thanks for the post!

It looks like it angles down just a little. Doesn't seem to be totally flat.
I don't care for taller heel pieces--where you can just "feel it" (and it's distracting in the back of your mind), but this one hasn't "bugged me" at all.
It's not as angled down as an Eliminator though.

I recently got the Ludwig Atlas Pro single.

Hey! by any chance did you ever use a Tama Iron Cobra before this pedal (Single as well)????

Please let me know I'm debating about trying this pedal cause I'm not liking the cobra.

Yes, I had a Flexi (strap) IC for a while.
I like the newer version with the spring under it better than the one I had. The thing I didn't like about it back then was the heel piece. It felt too high. Now that I don't sit as low as I did back then (9-10 years ago), I could get along nicely with a Flexi with the "cobra coil". Dumb name, but it feels nice. The Flexi is the only IC pedal I like though. The others style cams feel slow, heavy and sluggish to me.

I really liked the Ludwig pedal, but I went back to the Eliminator a couple months after I did the original post.
It's a great pedal, and felt smooth, but I could never get used to the floating spring deal.
In doing everything other than doubles and multiples, I really dug it.
I can easily do doubles, ruffs, triples, etc... with the Eliminator, but couldn't get it going the same with the Ludwig pedal. I tried everything, aside from epoxying the thing to be solid, but I didn't want to screw it up, so I put it up for sale.
Couldn't argue with my foot because I put the Eliminator back up, and there it all was again.
After the adjusting, the only thing that was really different was that floating spring thing. If that wasn't there, I'm sure I could do all the stuff I do with the Eliminator.

I could have kept it for 2 of my bands that I don't do any "fancy" footwork in, but, being as it was clean and pretty mint, I decided to sell it & use the money for other drum things.
I'd say check it out, because it is a seriously nice pedal.

I just bought one. Traded in my DW 9000 which I've had for 6 years I believe. Before that it was 2 5000s which I had been playing for close to 15. Anyways, I wanted to get that whole Ludwig feel/vintage look. The pedal is the Pro model. So far so good. Feels and looks great. The only real complaint I have, and I'm not sure if it's just that I am not used to it is the beater. It just feels heavy, looks bulky, and completely changes the sound of my kick. I am keeping the pedal, but already ordered a wood beater to try out. The pedal is about 1/2 of what you'd pay for the DW, and as of now I would definitely say feels comparable.

I just bought one. Traded in my DW 9000 which I've had for 6 years I believe. Before that it was 2 5000s which I had been playing for close to 15. Anyways, I wanted to get that whole Ludwig feel/vintage look. The pedal is the Pro model. So far so good. Feels and looks great. The only real complaint I have, and I'm not sure if it's just that I am not used to it is the beater. It just feels heavy, looks bulky, and completely changes the sound of my kick. I am keeping the pedal, but already ordered a wood beater to try out. The pedal is about 1/2 of what you'd pay for the DW, and as of now I would definitely say feels comparable.

I have 2 of the Atlas Pro singles and 3 of the Atlas Pro doubles, Love, Love, Love these pedals....

Yeah, It's a great pedal.
I wish I could have figured out a way to have the spring assembly stay in a fixed position instead of having it swing. just couldn't get used to it.

Still on the Elims, but, I still LOVE the FB Atlas hat stand :)

Going on 2 years, and not one issue with anything Atlas that I've been using.

Yeah, It's a great pedal.
I wish I could have figured out a way to have the spring assembly stay in a fixed position instead of having it swing. just couldn't get used to it.

Still on the Elims, but, I still LOVE the FB Atlas hat stand :)

Going on 2 years, and not one issue with anything Atlas that I've been using.

I honestly don't even notice or feel the spring moving? I wonder if maybe yours is setup differently? Mine is smooth as can be. the nylon strap is great as well. Never really used one, but read a thread on here about guys swearing by them and I have to agree that it is much smoother!

I have been using the Atlas pedal for about three months and after initial adjustment, I just attch it and play. 2-3 gigs per month, for me, it has been a smooth , fast pedal, no issues.

Does anyone know if Ludwig has released the "Tri-Felt Red Stripe" beater as a separate item?
I would love to try one on my Speed king, and will eventually need a replacement one for the Atlas pedal.

BTW, I have the Atlas Classic flat based stands- three straight cymbal plus the hi-hat- love them- no issues at all for two years. They lighten your hardware bag considerably and look great.
great feel on the hi-hat too.

Back