Has anybody used the new Gibraltar 'G-Class'?

TColumbia37

Silver Member
I can't seem to find any reviews. From the looks of the pictures, it seems really solid and well built. I love the look of the thing. I saw one at a local store, but didn't get the chance to try it out.

Last edited:
You'll have to try it to see if you like it.

I really wanted to like this pedal when I first saw it. I got a chance to play on one at the store recently and I found it quite heavy and clunky. It felt weighted all wrong for my foot. I didn't feel comfortable on it at all.

However, it does seem to be a bullet-proof design.

You'll have to try it to see if you like it.

I really wanted to like this pedal when I first saw it. I got a chance to play on one at the store recently and I found it quite heavy and clunky. It felt weighted all wrong for my foot. I didn't feel comfortable on it at all.

However, it does seem to be a bullet-proof design.

Hmm.. I'll have to try it out. I normally play a DW5000, but I don't expect the thing to last forever, so I'm thinking about getting the Gibraltar as a backup pedal. I'm not too picky about my pedals, so I could probably make it work for me.

Hmm.. I'll have to try it out. I normally play a DW5000, but I don't expect the thing to last forever, so I'm thinking about getting the Gibraltar as a backup pedal. I'm not too picky about my pedals, so I could probably make it work for me.

Yeah, you'll just have to play it and see how you like it.

I normally play an Iron Cobra so even the DW500 feels a little weird to me. Although if I really wanted, I could probably dial in a setting I liked on the 5000. I just knew after messing with the Gibraltar pedal for a while that it was never going to feel good.

I'm looking forward to trying that Jojo Mayer pedal though.

I'm looking forward to trying that Jojo Mayer pedal though.

Wow, yeah, I just looked into that thing. I'd love to try it out, but I don't think I'll ever own one.

I just read a review, and apparently if you play too hard, that flexible strap stretches, and the pedal just bottoms out. Sounds like a problem to me, as I frequently play much harder than I need to.

Seems like it would be great when power isn't as important as finesse, though.

I just read a review, and apparently if you play too hard, that flexible strap stretches, and the pedal just bottoms out. Sounds like a problem to me, as I frequently play much harder than I need to.

I always take web reviews with a pinch of salt. Especially about stuff like durability. More often than not, it's a plug by some company or the other. It could happen, but I'd want more than one or two sources and pictures for certain. People post pics of everything else anway, pictures of defective manufactured items are therefore essential.

This was a real problem, apparently sonor made new straps and replaced the old

Sonor? Did you mean Gibraltar? :)

AFAIK, this thing happens with a lot of products: guitar processors, cars, drum pedals. Usually it's some sub-vendor issue, where they're using inferior components or materials. What's important to take stock of is how the company responds and whether the problem is rectified thereafter.

Unfortunately, many a time we just hear the negative news. Even if it's just one pedal with a manufacturing defect.

That's not to say products can't be complete crap, or there isn't anything wrong with the Gibraltar. I'd just like to rely on as many pieces of evidence as possible and if possible, to see the damage for myself and come to an assessment. Scare-mongering doesn't help the consumer.

I've played both the Jojo Mayer pedal and the Gibraltar G-Class. I currently own the G-Class. I owned the Jojo pedal for about 3 weeks.

The Jojo pedal was sleek and very pleasing to the eye and the design was nice. It took a little while to get used to the fact that the beater doesn't accelerate into the head like most pedals. But I actually prefered the feel.

The problem that I had and the reason I returned it was because the pedal would slap the bottom platform in heel up play and even sometimes in heel down play. I figured it was because the strap, even though it's made of ballistic rubber, tends to stretch. It's got some play in it. You can actually stretch it a bit with your fingers. I can see why they used the material because it's practically weightless compared to chain drives and makes for very smooth operation WHEN it's not slapping the bottom plate. I heard there were problems with the pedal collapsing during play but I never experienced this. The pedal in that regard was solid as a rock. I just made sure I could feel the pedal click into place when I mounted it...which actually required a fair amount of force.

If they replaced the strap to correct that problem, then I'd buy another one because I really liked how it felt under my foot.

The Gibraltar G-Class is a nice pedal with features that I really appreciate. The tension dial is probably the best feature imo. You can see exactly where you're getting the sweet spot for yourself. I also like the thick (very thick) rubber teeth on the top and bottom of the clamp. So many times I would have to buy a metal or rubber thingamabob to put on the hoop...don't need it with this pedal. The ratcheted clamp release is nice too. I had concerns over its long term durability because the little tooth that holds the swivel in place appears to be made out of hard plastic. But so far so good.

It's not as smooth a pedal as a DW 9000 or a Tama Speed Cobra (the other pedal I looked at closely) but I tend to gravitate toward pedals that aren't as smooth because I'm primarily a heel down player and don't need all that smoothness to get the articulation I want. In fact, most super smooth pedals feel weird under my foot. But, I will say that the G-Class has a smoother feel than a DW 5000 and it's much better than any other Gibraltar I've tried. The weights in the beater are nice too. I had a Mapex Falcon and used the weights for practice purposes. The Falcon is also a nice pedal BTW.

It's not as smooth a pedal as a DW 9000 or a Tama Speed Cobra (the other pedal I looked at closely) but I tend to gravitate toward pedals that aren't as smooth because I'm primarily a heel down player and don't need all that smoothness to get the articulation I want. In fact, most super smooth pedals feel weird under my foot. But, I will say that the G-Class has a smoother feel than a DW 5000 and it's much better than any other Gibraltar I've tried. The weights in the beater are nice too. I had a Mapex Falcon and used the weights for practice purposes. The Falcon is also a nice pedal BTW.

Smoother than a 5000?? I'll definitely have to check them out

Back