Is it me, or....... advertising

I used to get them a lot and I haven't dated for 6+ years.

These days I spend much of my online time either checking out music or things like Is the Universe Alive?, Beyond the Big Bang, What is Time?, etc (the links are on my YT recommendations list - to be devoured tonight).

Yet I never got an ad trying to sell me telescopes, natural philosophy books or galactic systems. Funny dat.

It's NOT you. It's Google.
Google is evil.
Google is the devil hisself.
Welcome to the Brave New World.

Right? How dare they build the largest and most advance search platform effectively organizing the web, then have the gall to offer nearly every service totally free, instead making money from corporate sponsorship and ad-revenue... Allowing sites like this to make a bit with minimal effort.

It's abhorrent, I tell you. We should all use Bing, because Microsoft is obviously less evil.

When you two are done bashing google, you can go back to your facebook profile. I hear they're having privacy and ethics parties over there.

Right? How dare they build the largest and most advance search platform effectively organizing the web, then have the gall to offer nearly every service totally free, instead making money from corporate sponsorship and ad-revenue... Allowing sites like this to make a bit with minimal effort.

It kills me to do this because it's DocWat, but ...

+1

The only criticism of I have of Google is that it's so successful that it seems to be leading the web to homogeneity of thought as people keep on encountering and covering the same ground. Not a big fan of syndication either for that reason. It's also a shame that blowhard opinions get the same search weight as peer reviewed research, which may have serious consequences ...

Yea, seriously. What is an ethic, anyway? Have you ever seen one? I don't think so. It's like a snipe.

....Now that's worth finding, although I'd probably be horrified at a dispassionate profile creation of me....

I played around a bit with the link from post #40 in this thread. If you've got spare time, are bored, or just curious, there's some stuff you can do to see what results.
I went to the site, removed all the info they had for me, opted out, changed my search engine, then hit this site again.

Started getting some very strange ads, so I went back to the link, opted back in, selected google as my engine, and typed in a few things. Ads went back to normal again.
Went back again, and selected all the categories as interests, and am checking the results of that now. - Took a quick look, and saw ads here for gun control, and a place called Zappos or somesuch - ha ha.

Yea, seriously. What is an ethic, anyway? Have you ever seen one? I don't think so. It's like a snipe.

Simple, It's the exact opposite of an American Politician

Back