"Smack My Bitch Up" Drum Solo and "Smile******" by Candy Warpop

Re: "Smack My Bitch Up" Drum Solo and "Smilefucker" by Candy Warpop

Just looked some of those up on YouTube: found the whole slanging match between commentators about whether Skrillex and Datsik can be considered genuine dubstep or the apparently derided "brostep" hilarious. It also seems that in the UK "brostep" is disparagingly called "bruvstep". I guess some things never change . . .

Im not up in the scene so I dont know the particulars....but underground dubstep fans will never consider someone who wins grammys "dubstep"

you know how it goes

Actually, the full lyric is:
Change my pitch up
Smack my bitch up

... and it's a sample from a De La Soul track called "Ego Trippin'", which is all about how people who say stuff like that are dumb. Incidentally, De La Soul - founders of the Native Tongue Posse - were part of the first wave of hip-hop, before it became 'gangsta'. They were extremely positive and creative ... the track is about how hip-hop was becoming materialistic, misogynistic, and ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngvYxMHhKBw

Shows how taking something out of context can be confusing.

it's a sample from a De La Soul track called Ego Trippin' [. . . ] Shows how taking something out of context can be confusing.

Sorry to be an internet pedant, but it's actually sampled from Give The Drummer Some by Ultramagnetic MCs. But your point about context is a valid one: I remember The Beastie Boys asked The Prodigy not to play Smack My Bitch Up when the were both playing the Reading Festival in 1998 on the grounds that it was a misogynistic song. This was a band who, during their Licensed to Ill tour had female members of the crowd dancing in cages and a giant motorised inflatable penis - but, you know, hey . . .

Most of the rave scene in 1996. I suppose you had to be in the UK.

'Firestarter' was always my favourite.
Nope, I was right here the whole time and listened to that CD incessantly - and I'm not exactly what one might call "rave". Great drum machine programming the whole way thru - especially Firestarter. Super fun to put in the cans and drum along to.

But to the OP: Nice job on the Prodigy bit, and GREAT video. I love the vibe and attitude of it - had me cracking up!

... and it's a sample from a De La Soul track called "Ego Trippin'", which is all about how people who say stuff like that are dumb. Incidentally, De La Soul - founders of the Native Tongue Posse - were part of the first wave of hip-hop, before it became 'gangsta'. They were extremely positive and creative ... the track is about how hip-hop was becoming materialistic, misogynistic, and ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngvYxMHhKBw

Shows how taking something out of context can be confusing.

it's not a De La sample at all.

Ultra Magnetic MCs brother

1988 album Critical Beatdown

the song title is my screen name :)

...and De La were hardly part of the first wave of hip hop

it's not a De La sample at all.

Ultra Magnetic MCs brother

1988 album Critical Beatdown

the song title is my screen name :)

...and De La were hardly part of the first wave of hip hop

Let us be quite pedantic ...

De La were (probably) referring to the Kool Keith line from "Give the Drummer Some", but the sample from "Smack My Bitch Up" is widely sourced as Trugoy's line in "Ego Trippin'" which was making fun of the attitude. Now, it's certainly possible that it's just a general misconception, and it's always hard to tell with samples because most sample-users distort them. But I'm just going with the general consensus.

As for whether or not De La were part of the 'first wave' - if you want to go all the way back to when hip-hop was born, sometime in the 70s, then sure they weren't. But then neither were Run-DMC, or Slick Rick, or the Fresh Prince. These groups were part of the first _popular_ wave of hip-hop, and an extension ("part of") the original spirit of rap, which was to act both as a source of entertainment and protest ... and then someone rapped about shooting someone and it sold a bunch of copies and everything went to hell.

Anyway, the whole point was that it's a bit ridiculous to get all incensed over the word 'bitch' in a title, which isn't even a real curse word (it does still mean female dog!). Would it be nice if we still lived in Glenn Miller times and song names were all flowers and candy? Maybe. But we don't, some great songs have some pretty offensive names, and if you get wrapped up in the title you will miss a lot.

Oh, and to the OP, nice solo on the song-that-shan't-be-named.

Let us be quite pedantic ...

De La were (probably) referring to the Kool Keith line from "Give the Drummer Some", but the sample from "Smack My Bitch Up" is widely sourced as Trugoy's line in "Ego Trippin'" which was making fun of the attitude. Now, it's certainly possible that it's just a general misconception, and it's always hard to tell with samples because most sample-users distort them. But I'm just going with the general consensus.

Sorry John, but if you look in the liner notes to The Fat of the Land, The Prodigy quite clearly credit Give the Drummer Some by Ultramagnetic MCs; quite apart from anything else it is obvious when listening to both tracks. The De la Soul track Ego Trippin (Part Two) refers to Ultramagnetic's song of the same name that was released almost a decade before.

As a big fan of the UK Old skool hardcore movement, I can say that The Prodigy is one of my favorite bands, and that I approve of these solo's!

I too was a huge Prodigy fan at the time The Fat Of The Land came out.
I love the beat in Smack My..., it so rocks!

I agree though, they guys are fairly nuts, and I wouldn't name any tune
like that either, but the still love the music.

Breathe is another great one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmHDhAohJlQ&ob=av2e

I always loved the reverse crashes that abruptly ends on 3+, sick stuff!

So this kind of music is called dubstep? I never knew. I always thought of them as breakbeat.

I too was a huge Prodigy fan at the time The Fat Of The Land came out.
I love the beat in Smack My..., it so rocks!

I agree though, they guys are fairly nuts, and I wouldn't name any tune
like that either, but the still love the music.

Breathe is another great one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmHDhAohJlQ&ob=av2e

I always loved the reverse crashes that abruptly ends on 3+, sick stuff!

So this kind of music is called dubstep? I never knew. I always thought of them as breakbeat.
Old prodigy was not dubstep, but the new ones tend to sound more dub-step'ish. I'm more of a "music for the jilted generation" & "Experience" person myself. Prodigys old stuff was a bit more mental.

"Smack My Bitch Up" ???

by who's definition is this "music" ?

Ridiculously asinine song title. Don't even wanna know how the lyric goes. Should be offensive to any human being.

Its about a women abusing another woman.

Back