Muso movies

Let's not forget The Commitments - - ONLY my favorite movie evarrrr.

One of the least mentally challenging films has to be 'The Rocker'. Good fun about a comeback drummer who plays with his nephews band.

The other I like, again not particularly challenging (says something about my film choices) 'Rockstar' about a lad who gets up from the audience to carry on when the lead singer leaves the band.

I have to admit to liking cheesy 50's and 60's musicals like Summer Holiday

And I agree with Alparrott that The Committments is an excellent flm

I dont care what anyone says school of rock was awesome :p.

And blues brothers was one of the funniest movies ive ever seen.

Almost Famous was a good one.

Rockstar has just too many problems. It was close to being really good, but failed in a few areas. It really bugged me the way they would have conversations while playing, when anyone who's ever been around a band knows it's too loud on stage to have a conversation!
And the same with the ending, when he notices the guy in th front row is signing the songs good enough to be on stage; again, it would be too loud to notice anyone person singing in the audience!

Anyone see "The Story of Anvil" ? granted, I never got my 15 minutes of fame, or ever went to Japan, but dang, my whole life flashed before my eyes watching that one.

what about "that thing you do" featuring tom hanks as the drummer in an up and coming band. aside from documentaries, i believe it's the only hollywood depiction of a drummer as an intelligent musician.

La Bamba
Eddie The Cruisers
The Buddy Holly Story
Bird

Rockstar has just too many problems. It was close to being really good, but failed in a few areas. It really bugged me the way they would have conversations while playing, when anyone who's ever been around a band knows it's too loud on stage to have a conversation!
And the same with the ending, when he notices the guy in th front row is signing the songs good enough to be on stage; again, it would be too loud to notice anyone person singing in the audience!

It was a film...not real life! Like when the A Team used to send missiles into jeeps and no-one got hurt.

what about "that thing you do" featuring tom hanks as the drummer in an up and coming band. aside from documentaries, i believe it's the only hollywood depiction of a drummer as an intelligent musician.

I think Tom Hanks is the sleazy but good hearted agent/producer in that film. Someone else plays the drummer, maybe Kirk Cameron or somebody who looks like him.

Crossroads. Hands down my favorite music movie of all time.

Anyone see "The Story of Anvil" ? granted, I never got my 15 minutes of fame, or ever went to Japan, but dang, my whole life flashed before my eyes watching that one.

That's totally me and my singer in 20 years...

Tom Hanks was the record company suit, not the drummer. The drummer was played by Tom Everett Scott.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit, but I watched a good part of 'The Benny Goodman Story', staring Jimmy Stewart, a couple of nights ago. I was flipping channels....saw Gene playing.....and got caught watching for the next hour!!

Probably a bit 'left of centre' to what Polly was getting at....but Krupa and Satchmo actually playing themselves in the same movie.....'nuff said!!

EDIT: I've made a mess of this......the Jimmy Stewart movie I was referring to was actually The Glenn Miller Story!
The Benny Goodman Story is another movie starring Steve Allen that also features Gene. Apols Poll.

Last edited:
Oh, another couple I forgot ... Dreamgirls and Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Enjoyed them both and Hedwig, which started as a stage show musical, has some excellent original music.

Pocket, I must get hold of the Benny Goodman Story. It sounds great.

welol, it will be out in 2011......a biopic about miles davis' life and music......can't wait.

and wasn't elvin in a movie?

The Temptations, easy to watch multiple times

Standing in the Shadows of Motown, a well done documentary of the Funk Brothers, the backing band to every Motown hit while Motown was in Detroit.

would you guys consider Tenacious D: The Pick Of Destiny to fit this category?

And not to sound like a noob, but what is Muso movie anyways? I've never heard that term before.....

-Jonathan

It's been mentioned before, but This is Spinal Tap is awesome!

Back