Phil Maturano here!

HAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa you crack me up bratha! Well...we just gonna have to try all of them huh!? LOL

Man...I really appreciate what you said one HOD. The reality is that, the 2 sites are not in the same category.

Drummerworld = Every one wants to be a part of it.
HOD = Many players avoid it. You know why.

I personally get a great kick out of these forums. When I look at drummerworld, I see an ocean of passionate people. With a love of music and drumming so deep that it overwhelms the drummers internet community. At Drummers collective, you walk into the computer room, 85 % of the computers are on drummerworld. ACM Guildford, near London...the same thing. I suspect that story is repeated over and over on a worldwide level. HOD = not one of the DC students heard of it, until I turned them on to it. I can see that most of them are staying away also.

The world is becoming smaller and smaller. People read these forums and word gets around. This art form that binds us together, is a superbly rich spiritual journey. It is a thing of beauty beyond description. To drag your soul through the gutter of negativity (as some do on forums) is a sign of self doubt, jealousy, fear and misunderstanding. The time we have on this earth...is waayyy to short to be mired in that! Every day we breath, is a gift, and every day we live as drummers, as musicians, is pure......heaven. We are so lucky to have drums. Music. I have met Millionaires, ridiculously wealthy people that say they would give it all up...if they had a chance to live their life again and pursue the dream they gave up...Drums. I have been to many poor countries, where drummers tape their sticks together when they start falling apart, and play them until they are toothpicks. To be living this life...is a true dream come true.

Every time I surf to drummerworld, I am overwhelmed. I see so many players. So much dedication, will power, persistence, discipline, and most of all love. How can anyone not want to be a part of it.

I am so grateful to you Bernhard, for building this world out here in cyberspace. It permeates the lives of young drummers and old. You created a place for the soul to be enriched, the mind stimulated. A true labor of pure...Love.

I've rambled enough.
Drums are life!
PM

www.philmaturano.com
www.myspace.com/philmaturanodrums
www.youtube.com/philmaturanodrums

We will hopefully meet at Box of tricks - received an invitation.

Is there good beer in Germany? no idea - WE WILL CHECK OUT of course......

Great

Bernhard

Hey! Phil,

The Clinic Video in your website www.philmaturano.com doesn't work for some reason or has been temporarily unwatchable. If it isn't too much trouble, can you please fix it so that everyone can watch it? If you can't dont worry about it. Thanks anyway and keep the music coming.
:)

Yeah I am working on that. I am waiting for the cat who shot that to give me a better version. Had to edit some stuff etc.

If you go on youtube you can see allot.
Thanks for writing
PM

Hey! Phil,

The Clinic Video in your website www.philmaturano.com doesn't work for some reason or has been temporarily unwatchable. If it isn't too much trouble, can you please fix it so that everyone can watch it? If you can't dont worry about it. Thanks anyway and keep the music coming.
:)

Hey guys! Writing to you from a great cafe in Earls Court in London. Just wanted to let you know I am in London for 3 days. Some cats have been emailing me about getting private lessons, it might not be so easy because of time limits, but if there was ever a chance this is it! Just drop me a line or leave me a message here, maybe i can work it out!
All the best
PM

HI guys....i just wanted to thank everyone for writing with kind words about the FFMM show and the clip Bernhard has posted on the site. It was great to meet people there and I hope we all get to hang more often.

I am in Holland right now, doing a CD with a great percussionist from Aruba...Martin Verdonk.
I will be in Germany this week again and in London towards the end of the month.

If you want to hook up for lessons its best to write me on my official email

[email protected]

not at myspace. The myspace sight is just to vast and crazy to count on.

Thanks and many greetings to all!

PM

Phil!
Glad to see you postin again....

I have a couple of ?s I'd been wanting to ask since you first got here and hopefully you can help me....

I don't have the left foot clave thing goin but I have some good basic independence against some of the standard latin bass drum ostinatos but I'm having a hard time knowing how to apply it in a musical setting...

In my school band we play some Latin stuff like Ran Kan Kan and Mi Tierra and I always think Songo when the piano plays the montuno but my instructor will tell me to play something different....also there are 3 other drummers on congas, timbale and cowbell and if I do stuff on the snare it sounds too busy....He sometimes tells me to just play ride and bass drum only which gets kinda boring....

Anywayz basically here are the ?s

- How do you know what the right groove is to play....
- Do you have to hold back when there are alot of percusionist playing with you....
- Also I just started buying Latin music and I liked Dave Valentin....is he a good resource to listen to or is there better more authentic stuff .....

Your thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated.....
Thanks!

Phil!
Glad to see you postin again....

I have a couple of ?s I'd been wanting to ask since you first got here and hopefully you can help me....

I don't have the left foot clave thing goin but I have some good basic independence against some of the standard latin bass drum ostinatos but I'm having a hard time knowing how to apply it in a musical setting...

In my school band we play some Latin stuff like Ran Kan Kan and Mi Tierra and I always think Songo when the piano plays the montuno but my instructor will tell me to play something different....also there are 3 other drummers on congas, timbale and cowbell and if I do stuff on the snare it sounds too busy....He sometimes tells me to just play ride and bass drum only which gets kinda boring....

Anywayz basically here are the ?s

- How do you know what the right groove is to play....
- Do you have to hold back when there are alot of percusionist playing with you....
- Also I just started buying Latin music and I liked Dave Valentin....is he a good resource to listen to or is there better more authentic stuff .....

Your thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated.....
Thanks!
HI bud...those are great questions. I am on Clinic tour right now, and i can tell you...these sum up allot of questions asked by drummers all over the world right now. The answers are long and involved. I am not the kind of guy who pushes product on someone....BUT...if you want to save yourself ALLOT of time, money and hassle...get my DVD. All those questions and much more are answered. You can learn all this stuff by trial and error and getting yelled at on the gig. This will take years and probably result in people thinking you are not ready for Latin music. Dont let that happen. There are many rules to follow and not knowing them can put a stain on your rep´as a player. Whether you are technically a good drummer or not. This has to do with many many years of research and not that much with actual technical difficulty. Your knowledge of interacting in a percussion section will serve you well in many other styles. It is the ability to gel in a musical way, with other players.

one thing you can think about right away is this....

Imagine you have not 2 arms but 8. Not 2 legs but 8. All these limbs playing together...different parts....must be in harmony for the percussion section to sound cohesive and groove. Other wise it is total chaos. The more you are able to imagine yourself as part of the whole and not the only percussionist in an ensemble, the more people will like to play with you. YOU are the conguero, YOU are the bongosero and timbalero. They are playing off you and you off them. You are creating rhythmic harmony.
Thats a conceptual beginning. Then you just need to know what to play, where, and WHEN:)

I hope this helps....The DVD explains ALL parts played by the percussionists. All the parts you play on the kit with them, and explains all the bell patterns, when to change bells, function of bells, reasons for playing each bell, reason to play cymbals or cascara, hats ... etc etc etc and more etc. Its all stuff i learned on the street. It took years of learning and playing the music. There is no other DVD that has this information. Which is pretty shocking actually.

Anyway, stay in touch and let me know how its going.
PM

Last edited:
Hey guys ...this is fun. Someone just sent me a track i played on with Maynard Ferguson. It was broadcast live over the BBC in London.

Birdland.
http://rapidshare.com/files/26208697/08_Birdland.m4a.html

This was already 11 years ago for me, but fun to hear again. If anyone can figure out how to upload it directly to the site here, it would probably be more fun. The guy who sent me this has more stuff, he promised to send it to me. If you guys like it i can post them too.

RIP Mayn'
Love
PM

I actually had your DVD but it wouldn't play on my player - wrong format so I returned it a for your Latin soloing book...

Still working on the RTS :D

You gotta come to L.A. and play some shows or do a clinic....Please man!

I'm checking out Jimmy Branley out here May 2nd....

I actually had your DVD but it wouldn't play on my player - wrong format so I returned it a for your Latin soloing book...

Still working on the RTS :D

You gotta come to L.A. and play some shows or do a clinic....Please man!

I'm checking out Jimmy Branley out here May 2nd....

hmmmm....either you have a really old DVD player...or something else was wrong. Where did you get the dvd from? Me? Or...a store??

Yeah...I dont know when I will be in LA (i hate LA) hahaha
But if there is anything happening out your way i will post it here.
PM

hmmmm....either you have a really old DVD player...or something else was wrong. Where did you get the dvd from? Me? Or...a store??

Yeah...I dont know when I will be in LA (i hate LA) hahaha
But if there is anything happening out your way i will post it here.
PM

I bought it from ProDrums in Hollywood....

And whats not to like bout L.A....
Pretty girls, nice weather and ahhhh more pretty girls....

?s -
Whats your book The Inner Clock like...
Will it help me to play more authentic grooves....

I bought it from ProDrums in Hollywood....

And whats not to like bout L.A....
Pretty girls, nice weather and ahhhh more pretty girls....

?s -
Whats your book The Inner Clock like...
Will it help me to play more authentic grooves....

“Working the Inner Clock" – A contemporary interactive drumset course. This package features 11 charts and play-along C.D.. Its main purpose is to develop your own "Inner Clock" through a series of rhythmic studies contained within song formats. Three important areas on drum set also benefit from this study - Technique, Styles and Reading. "Inner clock" made its debut to great reviews from percussionists all over the world

REVIEWS:
Steve Houghton - Master teacher
"This book brings together three important areas; Technique, Styles and Reading. These areas will show rapid improvement.

Chuck Silverman - Master teacher/clinician
"Working the Inner Clock fills a void in drumsetliterature. It's an effective learning and teaching tool. And it's fun!"

Joe Porcaro - Drumming legend
"An everyday practice routine that will produce incredible results!"

Clayton Cameron - Brush master w/Tony Bennet
"A great way to work on phrasing!"

Ralph Humphrey - Director of curriculum - LAMA drum institute
"A great idea! All my private students use it"

Chuck Flores - Jazz drummer/teacher extraordinare
"Very innovative, it's all right here!"

Bobby Gabriel - Author/Teacher/clinician
"Finally, a book that covers the nuts and bolts of chart reading. Great for beginners and still challenging enough for an advanced player."

Hope that helps. Its not about Latin music.
Of course you can apply latin phrasing concepts.
P

Hi, Maturano,

Just to say hi and always enjoying your playing.

Couldn't make it to the Messe, but I'll be there next year.

Warmest regards,

Alex Sanguinetti (Munich, Germany)
http://www.alexsanguinetti.com

Last edited:
Hey Mr. Maturano (Southern Manners for ya!)

You've got friggin' awesome skills ,man! Your playing is so good I cry! Haha! OK I'll stop being a suck up now....even though I've been around here a while I still get star struck. :)

I've been wanting to learn some reggae (that is your style right? I'm still learning about different styles of music), what should I work on first?

Sincerely,
Drummerchick435 (Kristen)

Hey Mr. Maturano (Southern Manners for ya!)

You've got friggin' awesome skills ,man! Your playing is so good I cry! Haha! OK I'll stop being a suck up now....even though I've been around here a while I still get star struck. :)

I've been wanting to learn some reggae (that is your style right? I'm still learning about different styles of music), what should I work on first?

Sincerely,
Drummerchick435 (Kristen)

Hi Kristen. Well, thank you veeery much for your kind words. But please...dont call me MR. hahaha. Phil is fine.

Reggae...I learned allot about reggae, soca and calypso from master steel drummer Boogsie Sharp. I did quite a few gigs with him on the west coast. Thats when I really got to dig in to those styles. I am guessing you have a western musical background correct? If that is the case... My suggestion...is always start out with investigating feel and vocabulary. The patterns themselves are not difficult. What will be a challenge is to obtain the right touch, feel and language for the music. An essential part of that is to study where this language and feel comes from. If you have more questions please email me or call and we can talk. Its to vast really for here.

Here is something you might dig.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggae
http://www.rastagearshop.com/

Again thank you for the words and I hope to hear you doing the "Reggae ting" soon.
Peace
PM

Thanks Phil! That helped me out greatly.

Hey Phil,
Was great finally get to meet and hang. You're an amazing player and person and I had a great time in Cape Breton. Give me a shout anytime and lets stay in touch.
I'll give you a shout when I'm in NY.
P.S.
Ever hook up with John Fav?
Cheers.
D.

Back