Ronald Bruner Jr.

You guys have to watch the two parts of his performance at the PASIC 2007.

He's the only guy, so far, besides Billy Cobham and Jojo Mayer, who has made my jaw drop from his sheer speed.

I don't know why Kamasi Washington insist on having two drummers when Ronald alone is 100 times better (for the band's sound and for those who attend his concerts). I feel sorry for the other drummer....he sound like a newbie compared to Ronald:

Sorry if this is OT but ...
1) Two drummers give a unique texture that I don't think we hear enough of. 2) The "newbie" drummers' mics were either not set up or was down in the feed. So you can't hear most of what he's doing. 3) That "newbie" is Tony Austin. Respect.

I've been a fan of the young Ronald now for just a couple of years. He showcases a lot of power, finesse, and dexterity behind the drum kit with his playing style. His work with Stanley Clarke is real good. And all around he seems like a really nice fellow.

My only beef with him is that he is very hard to track down live. His live performance schedule is extremely poor, almost non-existent online. I never know where he'll be playing locally to me, or when? As of right now, Ronald Bruner Jr. is at the top of the list for me in wanting to see a drummer perform live. Hopefully in 2019, the long anticipation of that event happening will finally end.

Ronald_Bruner_Jr_web.jpg

The interview is quite long, but definitely worth watching, it's almost 2 hours in Ron's world, a must see.
Defintely the most beautiful and in-depth interview ever given to him

Harmony of Difference by Kamasi Washington has some of the most amazing broken time jazz playing.. Ronald Bruner and Tony Austin.. Worth a listen..

The interview is quite long, but definitely worth watching, it's almost 2 hours in Ron's world, a must see.
Defintely the most beautiful and in-depth interview ever given to him
Point / Counterpoint

1) the guy is a monster player, no doubt.
2) a lot of what he plays doesn’t resonate with me at all.
3) I cant get thru 5 minutes of that interview.
4) the guy is a monster player.

Jay if you get over those 5 minutes i'm sure you'll enjoy the whole interview, after a while he cooled down.
I've watched and listened to the whole interview, believe me...it's worth every second.

IS RONALD BRUNER JR. THE ONLY TRUE HEIR OF DENNIS CHAMBERS AND BILLY COBHAM?

I think he is the only one who has somehow already collected their legacy, all the others around are just copycats.

You can say what you want about his big ego and attitude, but since he was a teen Ron followed their path while still maintaining his own originality..and he has been the one that younger drummers all over the world have tried to imitate the most in the last 20 years.

I think that he never got enough credit for what he has done just because his overweening personality, people hate those who are overconfident and self-aware of their abilities, it's one of the sad truths in life.

Starting from the ghetto, he was able to play on the most prestigious stages in the world solely and uniquely because of his perseverance and skills, but he's always been so out of the ordinary to have been more hated than loved by his fellow musicians.

With that being said, I defy anyone to disagree that he is the only true and worthy heir to two of the greatest drummers of all time: Dennis Chambers and Billy Cobham.

Last edited:
Back