Become a Session Drummer

danarchy11

Hey I've been trying to become a session drummer for quite a few years now. I have the talent, motivation and professionalism. All of my gear is new, clean and not broken. Everything is top of the line. However, I'm having a very hard time getting work because I don't have any resume. Is there any way to start a career in session work without having recorded a billboard hit?

Hey I've been trying to become a session drummer for quite a few years now. I have the talent, motivation and professionalism. All of my gear is new, clean and not broken. Everything is top of the line. However, I'm having a very hard time getting work because I don't have any resume. Is there any way to start a career in session work without having recorded a billboard hit?

Play with anyone you can. Play on demos for free. Play on your own recordings. Network like nobody's business. Getting studio work is more about the people paying the bill trusting your ability to get it done than it is about your gear and skill. You need those skills but unless the people know you and trust you it won't get you any gigs

Last edited:
the only way to do it is to get out there....

put an EPK (electronic press kit) on line of you playing all different styles.....
make business cards with the address of the EPK site...
give them to everyone....and drop a ton off at every recording studio you have ever heard of...

play as many gigs as possible ...no matter how horrible....

it also depends on where you live.....

There's really no career path to playing music professionally (there are several 'how do I...' topics on this forum.) Being a great player is important, but that qualification only means something if you land in front of someone who is in a position to hire you, and they also agree that you can play. There's just no way to engineer what are typically chance meetings (read: being in the right place at the right time.)

But that's not meant to discourage you, it's meant to point out that there are things you can do to get your name out there.

Networking is crucial. It doesn't have to be some stuffy or jive meeting, it can be as innocuous as sitting-in at a local jam, and handing your card to anyone who says they like the way you play.

And going to local jams is a good idea. You never know who's sitting-in, or who's just sitting quietly in the shadows, and might be looking for a replacement drummer for their project or band. Therefore, don't treat a jam like a place to cut loose or show off your chops. Treat every song you play as if it was an audition, because it essentially is just that for those who hear you and are making mental notes about whether they like your playing.

But with regard specifically to session work, you have to understand that 1) there are fewer sessions because producers are putting together tracks with programmed drums, 2) more bands have drummers who are capable of making master recordings, so they don't need to hire a session drummer, and 3) the remaining live hired guns are a tight-knit group of pros who don't have that much work as it is. You're basically looking at a career aspect that's just a trickle these days, and it's really hard to break into what's left of it.

Again, not to be discouraging, just letting you know how it is in the real world. They say it's 'who you know', but it's really more about who knows you. Get your name out there, the calls are more likely to come, and there's a better chance you'll run into people who can take you to the next level, and the next, and the next.

Bermuda

Is there any way to start a career in session work without having recorded a billboard hit?

BTW, that's hardly a guarantee either.

Steve Jordan told a great story on YouTube on how he began to rise in the business. He was a struggling artist living in New York City, taking whatever gigs he could get, etc.,...and then some big snow storm hit and literally closed down all traffic coming into the city. Well, all the big session players in town lived outside of the city, and here he was in the city. For several days he picked up all the work that the big names couldn't get to, and he totally maximized his chances of getting more work by being prepared for the opportunity and not blowing it once he got in there.

Amazing.

I agree with what has been said. I do alot of stuff from my home, sometimes get paid and other times I do it just to have my name on the project weather it's an album or just one song... You have to get your name out there and word of mouth works.. I also ask the "client" i'm recording for if I can use them as a refference.. Never had a NO yet..lol Make sure your meter is strong and keep an open mind about what the "client" wants you to play. Remember most of them are non drummers...lol
Good luck!

Make sure your meter is strong and keep an open mind about what the "client" wants you to play.

These are two important points.

Re meter, it's essential that today's drummers be able to work well with a click, and strong meter helps make that work. Simply relying on a click to keep the tempo steady is useless if the drummer doesn't play to it seamlessly.

As for what the client wants, they will often state it up front. In that case, do what they want. Don't try to make the track yours... you're hired to make it theirs. Obviously there are experienced players with specailties, and they're hired for what they bring to the recording without a lot of direction. Some are hired because they take direction well. But until a musician has a track record (so to speak) they should play what they're asked.

That may seem like it's playing it safe, but the fact is, the guys who know when to do that make the most money.

Bermuda

Last edited:
Thanks bermuda...explained much better..lol

Honestly a lot of it is luck. People are saying network and network and network simply because that is increasing the probability of you getting your chance. The more people that know of you, the more chances you have. If you don't have any objections, praying doesn't hurt.

+1 to EVERYTHING bermuda said. The click is absolutely useless to you if your fills in and out of the pocket aren't smooth.

Are you in the right location to get session work? LA, Nashville, NYC? Even Miami i hear has a decent music scene. You can't expect to get session work in some podunk town with 1-2 music studios in a 250 mile radius.

Step 1) Take notes on anything and everything Bermuda says (also visit Jon's site at www.bermudaschwartz.com - a wealth of knowledge in the endorsement and NAMM knowledge pages under the "Links" heading!) [PS- Jon, I noticed you updated your endorsements page re: the up and coming drummer endorsements I e-mailed you about. Good head's up!)

Step 2) Re-read the notes often

Step 3) See steps 1 & 2

Bermuda is a wealth of knowledge and we're very lucky to have him around and willing to impart his knowledge and experience on us.

AJ

Play with anyone you can. Play on demos for free. Play on your own recordings. Network like nobody's business. Getting studio work is more about the people paying the bill trusting your ability to get it done than it is about your gear and skill. You need those skills but unless the people know you and trust you it won't get you any gigs

Network, network, network.

All the session work I've done has been because of this. AW said it first and I can't agree more.

practise really hard and don't expect anything to come from it. but do it anyway. then anything you do get is a bonus. just enjoy the act of doing.

First off, I question that there has ever been such a thing as having a "career in session work". Even the most successful studio drummers have/had careers as players - just like all the rest of the players. And became "session players" by simply being the player that folks wanted to record with, based on the rest of their playing career.

That said - Bermuda is right, there just isn't as much work as there was when many of our current "session masters" were first coming up. There was a time, when if somebody wanted to hear drumset recorded as part of their music - the ONLY way to accomplish that was to call a drummer to shlep in a kit, mic it up and press record. Even making the lowliest demo was a job opportunity for some drummer.

Then came drum machines, then midi programming, and loop, etc. - all viable alternatives to use instead of a live drummer even on top end master recordings (dramatically cutting into that work). But the low end? The demos, local jingles, little films, the low budget young artist without major label backing? For drummers that work pretty much no longer exists... at all.

And that's a real problem - because just as most of us start out playing high school dances, before graduating to local clubs, and then onto regional and national stages. For me recording-wise, I was able to start out doing little demo sessions in folk's garage studios $25 here, $50 there - gaining both experience and yes, reputation. But now with so little "starter" gigs, I see guys trying to land some national or major label thing as their first paid session. Which IMO is the equivalent of trying land a spot in the minor leagues without having ever played college or high school ball. Sure it's possible - but it's certainly not likely.

So is there no answer? Does it suck that bad? Well, it does suck pretty bad, but the answer I think comes with two viable paths - 1) don't segregate session work from other work - just keep slamming, playing out as much as possible and with the best people you can get to play with you. And that means lots of people - you can be in a band, but only if you can be in three other bands at the same time, plus sub on other pick-up work... again playing with anyone and everyone you can. In other words, just grow a drumming career - and if it includes some recording, great. If not, whatever.

And 2) become someone that can provide recorded drums to people on the low end - which on the surface sounds like a great idea, just keep in mind it is a very crowded market (with folks like myself directly competing with you online), which of course keeps driving rates down and down - AND it's an expensive service to provide (gear, space, etc)

So honestly, I would only call that one and 1/4 paths, because the first one is really what it is about - unless you just have a love of recording way beyond the drumming part. Because folks wiser than I always say you should never chase after the money, the job - you should pursue your passion, and if that's the playing - then get out and pursue, share and expose that to the world. Do that outstandingly well, and the job opportunities should follow.

Though I cringe reading that - as it is very easy to romanticize the possibilities of the drumming profession without seriously pondering the realities. So do your research and keep your expectations reasonable.

David

Not much to add really, other than echoing, it really is who you know, and being lucky enough to be playing just what the producers is looking for at the off chance he sees you play. I have quite a few friends at the top of their game in the Canadian country music scene. They travel in a very small circle, where a handful of guys seem to be on every project.

To echoe DCRigger, online session work is the coming wave- and (here's the kicker) it's already here.

People like TimLovesDrum.com (he's on this forum somewhere), GoranGrooves.com, and a handful of others are already offering to do online drum sessions from their home studio (or their own stand-alone studio) for a cheaper rate than it would cost to rent time AND be present to record the track. You can look into online session drumming if you wish but I suspect that the market will quickly be cornered if you don't act quickly.

AJ

These threads are always interesting to me. Great thoughts from everybody.

As a student, I must say that all of my teachers - even the professionals - have given up a lot to be playing drums as well as they do, and with as many people.

-sheldon

To echoe DCRigger, online session work is the coming wave- and (here's the kicker) it's already here.

People like TimLovesDrum.com (he's on this forum somewhere), GoranGrooves.com, and a handful of others are already offering to do online drum sessions from their home studio (or their own stand-alone studio) for a cheaper rate than it would cost to rent time AND be present to record the track. You can look into online session drumming if you wish but I suspect that the market will quickly be cornered if you don't act quickly.

AJ

Even on the higher end, this is happening A lot of top studio guys are getting less work going to a studio, and more jobs recording themselves at home studios.
Simon Phillips, Gregg Bissonette, Russ Miller, Mark Zonder, etc.

Even on the higher end, this is happening A lot of top studio guys are getting less work going to a studio, and more jobs recording themselves at home studios.
Simon Phillips, Gregg Bissonette, Russ Miller, Mark Zonder, etc.

And you forgot the one that got me interested in this whole mess-- DW's own Gavin Harrison!

Back