Wood Shortage

Yes it is a potential problem.
Hardwoods don't grow as fast as woods like pine.
DW introduced eco friendly kits a while back.
Prices will surely rise on musical instruments made from exotic woods.

Last edited:
This type of exploitation has been going on for years, and then these countries will wonder why they have dust storms and drought when all of the foilage is gone.

This type of exploitation has been going on for years, and then these countries will wonder why they have dust storms and drought when all of the foilage is gone.

Usually it is corrupt government officials taking bribes from logging companies, who turn around and sell the wood to many different companies. The people doing this know exactly what they are doing and are not at all surprised.

Demand exceeds supply - it doesn't matter what kind of wood you're talking about, be it woody wood or men's health kinda wood.

It should be said that some fine drummers played the same kit throughout their careers. I like their approach - you find a kit you like and really learn over the years how to get the best response from it. Less strain on wood supplies too.

Yes yes, you can define "kit" any way you like too ..... :p

As big of a fan I am of hemp, I am not crazy of the tone of that Tempus drum. Hemp is a soft fiber. You can tell by the lack of overtones on that clip.

I wasn't impressed with the hemp snare either Larry.

I do like the sound of the DW Eco drums.

This also smacks of market spin to justify a reason for major price increases. I don't see maple as nearing extinction. Rosewood and the exotics perhaps but maple? Canada is full of maple.

Just like the Oil co's.
Create a shortage to raise the price.

Just like the Oil co's.
Create a shortage to raise the price.

I myself am already thinking of grabbing a Bubinga set just in case.

Curses!

It's amazing what a few words in print can do.

You know full well that people are snapping up exotics at an accelerated rate thanks to that article. Sneaky corporate types...

Demand exceeds supply - it doesn't matter what kind of wood you're talking about, be it woody wood or men's health kinda wood.

It should be said that some fine drummers played the same kit throughout their careers. I like their approach - you find a kit you like and really learn over the years how to get the best response from it. Less strain on wood supplies too.

Yes yes, you can define "kit" any way you like too ..... :p
You hit the nail right on the head Polly. People change their drum kits like they change their underwear. Find the sound and color you like and stick with it.

This also smacks of market spin to justify a reason for major price increases. I don't see maple as nearing extinction. Rosewood and the exotics perhaps but maple? Canada is full of maple.
I have about 12, 100+ year old ones on my property. Guess I could make a few kits. :)

I myself am already thinking of grabbing a Bubinga set just in case.

Curses!

It's amazing what a few words in print can do.

You know full well that people are snapping up exotics at an accelerated rate thanks to that article. Sneaky corporate types...
My buddies 6 piece Tama Babinga Elite comes in about a month. I am so looking forward to seeing how the sound compares to my Saturn's. I will try and put up an unbiased comparison review, when it gets here. Good luck with that. I will try though.
They cost twice as much, so they better be good. :)

I very much advocate recycling of wood whenever possible. Not only do you reap the sonic benefits of wood that's cured for decades, if not centuries, but the environmental benefits are pretty cool too.

Back