Show Me Your "Monster" Kits! (let's say... 7 piece and up)

new here , this is actually my 11 y.o. daughters set , but i guess since i'm the one that put it together for her i'll post it for her .
its sort of a mutt kit , based on a cross between pearl dx and ex kits .
the tom sizes are - a 6&8 " fiberglass , 10 , 12 13, 14, 15, 16 , and 16 and 18" floor toms .
22" bass and set of roto toms .
the finish is some sort of light green that she picked out on oak veneer covering .
she has six different snares to pick from but her favorite is the mutt snare i've been working on ( acrolite shell , legend strainer , pearl butt plate and still deciding on some lugs - so yeah ! a mutt ! )

Attachments

• jennifer drumming crazy 045.JPG
    jennifer drumming crazy 045.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 4,126
new here , this is actually my 11 y.o. daughters set , but i guess since i'm the one that put it together for her i'll post it for her .
the tom sizes are - a 6&8 " fiberglass , 10 , 12 13, 14, 15, 16 , and 16 and 18" floor toms .
the finish is some sort of light green that she picked out on oak veneer covering .
she has six different snares to pick from but her favorite is the mutt snare i've been working on ( acrolite shell , legend strainer , pearl butt plate and still deciding on some lugs - so yeah ! a mutt ! )

That's amazing! SImon Phillips wouldn't mind that kit. I'm guessing that daughter loves her daddy!
Good for you, and for her.

That's amazing! SImon Phillips wouldn't mind that kit. I'm guessing that daughter loves her daddy!
Good for you, and for her.
thanks ! as shes our only , she gets spoiled pretty badly........
btw shes been at it for about 6 months now and doing really great . starting next weekend she starts her first lessons with her teach casey grillo , so shes really nervous , and excited at the sametime , did i say she is spoiled ( but not rotten ! ) .

Mine are not 'Monster' kits, but it is actually quite scary how many kits I have built up and moved on from in the 4 months.
Whenever I say that I am done with the changes, I make another change.... but I think I am done now..... ;0)

I'll start with the two current kits, one electric and one acoustic.

twin_kits.jpg

Prior to those, here is the last Roland kit I'd put together, before I went to the above.

picture.php

thanks ! as shes our only , she gets spoiled pretty badly........
btw shes been at it for about 6 months now and doing really great . starting next weekend she starts her first lessons with her teach casey grillo , so shes really nervous , and excited at the sametime , did i say she is spoiled ( but not rotten ! ) .

That's wonderful. I love it when I see kids getting into music with their parents' support.
Okay, back to the big kits.

No. Get it away from me!!!! Concert. Toms. Concert. Toms.... :mad: oj man apart from the fact that i really would have to stick bottom heads on all of those drums, it's a pretty nicely done kit!

With the double stacked toms it reminds me of Keith Moons white kit he played w/o the double bass. I love it!

No. Get it away from me!!!! Concert. Toms. Concert. Toms.... :mad: oj man apart from the fact that i really would have to stick bottom heads on all of those drums, it's a pretty nicely done kit!
I played this 7 piece kit with four concert rack toms for 30 years. You can just make out the smaller ones to my left in the pic.
Two years ago I converted the 12" and the 14" rack toms to resonant heads. I kept the 13" and the 15" toms as concert. I use them occasionally as left side accent drums. I like the sound that they make. I feel that there is a place for some concert toms on a kit.

Attachments

• l_69b85e167deb4212b21a552984aa2adc.jpg
    l_69b85e167deb4212b21a552984aa2adc.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 4,030
oh , oh ! sounds like someone still has a 80s hang over l.o.l. ! for what its worth , the 10 , 12 , and 13 have double heads ! plus they pack up nicely in her room ..
bobdadruma - i don't think i would want to run into you in a dark alley ! you don't look like a happy drummer in that pic l.o.l !
thanks for the compliments . there are some really beautiful sets on this thread !

This thing takes Hours to set up. My parents don't even like it being in the house, whatever room it's in it just destroys. Picture might take a while to load, so many different colors on this monster.

Attachments

• 0802091452.jpg
    0802091452.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 4,005
oh , oh ! sounds like someone still has a 80s hang over l.o.l. ! for what its worth , the 10 , 12 , and 13 have double heads ! plus they pack up nicely in her room ..
bobdadruma - i don't think i would want to run into you in a dark alley ! you don't look like a happy drummer in that pic l.o.l !
thanks for the compliments . there are some really beautiful sets on this thread !
I've been told that Im a bad ass looking dude by other members of the forum also! In person, Im quite shy, and a mellow man, who only gets mad at bass players when they don't walk me through a fill! I am a member of the NRA though! I do like to hunt deer! (rats with hoofs!)
What do you expect from a guy that likes drums raw with no resos!

Attachments

• Pics Riders 074.jpg
    Pics Riders 074.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 4,048
Last edited:
I've been told that Im a bad ass looking dude by other members of the forum also! In person, Im quite shy, and a mellow man, who only gets mad at bass players when they don't walk me through a fill! I am a member of the NRA though! I do like to hunt deer! (rats with hoofs!)
What do you expect from a guy that likes drums raw with no resos!
i stand corrected - your much more scarier now !!!!!! l.o.l

This was 2001

nickstage2.jpg

Drums: Slingerland
22 x 16 Bass Drum
14 x 6.5 Tama Steel Snare
14 x 5.5 Radio King Steel Snare
12 x 10 Tom
13 x 11 Tom
16 x 16 Floor Tom
10 x 6.5 Remo Timbale
12 x 6.5 Remo Timbale

Cymbals: Zildjian
13" Z Custom Dyno Beat Hi Hats
16" A Med. Crash
19" A Med Crash
19" A Med. Crash Brilliant
18" ZBT Crash/Ride
18" A China High
20" K Pre-Aged Dry Light Ride

This is 2002-2003 I think??

newkit.jpg

Drums: Slingerland / MRP (MRP gave me a 6 month cost deal at the time, but because I was a poor college student all I did was re-wrap my kit and put an MRP head on my Bass Drum)
22 x 16 Bass Drum
14 x 6.5 Tama Steel Snare
14 x 5.5 Radio King Snare (Not shown in photo)
10 x 10 Tom
12 x 10 Tom
13 x 11 Tom
16 x 16 Floor Tom

Cymabls: Zildjian
13" Z Custom Dyno Beat Hi Hats
13" ZBT Hi Hats (Fixed Closed)
10" A Splash
17" Z Custom Med. Crash (x2)
19" A Med. Crash Brilliant (x2)
18" A China High
20" K Pre Aged Dry Light Ride